Replacement or Repair

Hi again everyone,

I seem to be coming very active on here lately I have the engine rebuild thread please feel free to join in with that too and now to this...

So my mechanic was honest enough to admit that my bonnet slipped from his hands scratched and dented it but as it was late when I got home last night I thought it was best to just leave looking at it till morning so here we are...

I'm super disheartened at the moment if I'm honest I seems to be having a lot of bad luck with my A2 and really don't know how much further I'm willing to go with her but on the other hand I'm already £900 invested in the rebuild! Here is the damage to the bonnet anyway...

Thanks for reading. Luke
184474830e3f8d15d094f49300849790.jpg
7ee6a9776483e6bd744ce30cc22bc8b0.jpg
001bdb862df12c0e331618cdfd5f6e98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am assuming that he is going to pay to fix this, that is a no-brainer, ne bent it he should put it right.

Your options are to find a replacement (try A2Steve or Sarge) to see if they have a matching coloured bonnet.
Then your "mechanic" should pay the cost of you getting this.

I can't believe that he returned your car with a water problem and a damaged bonnet without telling you what he is going to do about it !!!!

What did he say he was going to do about this?

I am assuming that you won't be using him again?

Steve B

Never fear A2steve to the rescue :)

I have a silver bonnet here for £25. I've just got to check with Sarge because he has first refusal but if it's not what he wantsh then it can be yours if you need it.
Good stuff Steve let me know what Sarge says... my A2 is LY7W to see if its a match as I know there is a few different silvers. Thanks again buddy

I am assuming that he is going to pay to fix this, that is a no-brainer, ne bent it he should put it right.

Your options are to find a replacement (try A2Steve or Sarge) to see if they have a matching coloured bonnet.
Then your "mechanic" should pay the cost of you getting this.

I can't believe that he returned your car with a water problem and a damaged bonnet without telling you what he is going to do about it !!!!

What did he say he was going to do about this?

I am assuming that you won't be using him again?

Steve B

It's pretty ****ty if I'm honest feel like I'm £900 down and if not worse off from where I was when the engine 'shredded' he has offered to pay to get the bonnet repaired or replaced if I wanted (obviously).

If I'm honest Steve I don't know what I'm doing yet as he has said he wont charge for the labour of stripping it and is willing to pay for the bonnet but if I dont go back its more money going else where, more money if I just buy another car who knows.. I've got two weeks to decide! I'll be honest he seems genuinely gutted about the rebuild and bonnet but is that due to cutting corners and now having to pay for his mistakes who knows!

Stick with it mate, you know it'll be worth it in the end. The bonnet is superficial, if annoying, but an easy fix.
Better the devil you know.

Stick with it mate, you know it'll be worth it in the end. The bonnet is superficial, if annoying, but an easy fix.
Better the devil you know.

Yes, the scratches on the bonnet can be sorted, but the windscreen ends have been folded over and aluminium is not great at being straightened after such a bad bend, it would need a lot of filler to get it smooth again and I don't see why AUDISTALKER should settle for a repaired and filled bonnet.

I agree that he should stick with it but he won't have to pay for the bonnet damage and so should only accept a replacement bonnet.

Steve B

It looks like a lot of damage for a ‘drop’. Did the mechanic drop it or throw it at the wall in rage? That’s the question... either that or the mechanic is 20feet tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening all

thanks for everyone's input I think I'm going to keep the car but maybe not the mechanic... unsure as he seems genuinely gutted about the rebuild and bonnet also as stated before he has said he wont charge me for stripping the engine again and has offered to replace the bonnet where as if I go to some other mechanic he will charge me just for looking at the car then if he eventually finds out what's wrong thats a hell of a lot of money and as mentioned I am £900 into this rebuild already I don't want to have to spend that much if not more when for that money I could have bought another A2 if you guys get where I'm coming from.

Thanks again

Luke Vettraino Smith
THEAUDISTALKER

**Update**

Cosmo is away again to the mechanic tonight for how long? Who knows.
But the plan is to get the head stripped again get it sent away to get pressure tested possible skimmed if needed. Time will tell. Also managing to sort a replacement bonnet from A2Steve . Here is a picture of the smoke party I had earlier today... the burning coolant is not a great look.

Thanks for reading
bd9a85709ff8a27688cca12c99492222.jpg

Luke Vettraino Smith
THEAUDISTALKER

UPDATE:

Massive thanks to A2Steve for sending a replacement bonnet I really appreciate it. Managed to get my new grill fitted to that bonnet here is how she looks now..(pictured) next step to get that vent painted black I think.

Thanks for reading
832521d034b552e990a08876fad8e6dc.jpg
ef4aae30d66bde137f2745208ee8eba7.jpg

Luke Vettraino Smith
THEAUDISTALKER

Looking good. And nice neat grass.

Don’t forget to check that the drain from the bonnet hasn’t been squished or blocked by being put down that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it arrived safe and sound. It's always a bit risky sending large flat panels like a bonnet.

Back