ECU learning?

Evoman

I'm curious learned A2OC folks if the A2 ECU adapts to driving inputs?

Reason I ask my A2 is feeling noticeably more eager the way it pulls and the keenness to keep pulling through the rev range (well relatively speaking for a little 3 pot diesel).

I have always run it on high premium grade diesel fuel in my ownership (only 2 months or so) though more recently I have completed some longer trips with some 'Italian tune up' testing particularly after replacing the thermostat and the little thing is really quite impressing.

Previously the car was running only to a quarter up the temperature gauge - now right up to 90 degrees C. Perhaps this is a factor too? I'm not sure how it would affect the car's running with a faulty thermostat. I suppose the ECU would think it's not up to temperature so remain in a cold cycle state perhaps?

A full service pack has arrived (including fuel filter and air filter) which I shall be fitting today then I shall run the car for a little more to make sure all running good. After that I'll be excited to go down the plug in and chip route using the well regarded chip on here.

Another local TDI, what colour /spec should I look out for? I suspect the ecu doesn't adjust to your driving though I may well be wrong. :)
Eating lunch opposite an 03 FSI with light grey leather atm(in Bellshill).

Last edited:
The change in the engine was mainly due to the thermostat replacement.

Prior to that the engine was not getting up to the optimal temperature.

Now it is at a steady 90 degrees or so the engine is at the correct temperature and so it will run better.

The ECU does not "learn" your driving style, it is just that it is all set up for the right temperature, fuel grade etc.

If you have an A2 that has only been doing short journeys then the "Italian tune up" will often help improve the engine efficiency by blowing out dirt and carbon build up.

The occasional tank of "Super" fuel will also help clean the system.

So all of those put together have improved your car significantly!!

Steve B

The change in the engine was mainly due to the thermostat replacement.

Prior to that the engine was not getting up to the optimal temperature.

Now it is at a steady 90 degrees or so the engine is at the correct temperature and so it will run better.

The ECU does not "learn" your driving style, it is just that it is all set up for the right temperature, fuel grade etc.

If you have an A2 that has only been doing short journeys then the "Italian tune up" will often help improve the engine efficiency by blowing out dirt and carbon build up.

The occasional tank of "Super" fuel will also help clean the system.

So all of those put together have improved your car significantly!!

Steve B

Makes sense, thanks for the info!

I'm just needing to find that laptop cable now so I can then plug in and read the file for Depronman to work his magic with a file rewrite :)

On the OEM Ecu map theres several maps for fueling and boost ect so dependent on engine temps the ecu decides what the power output is , if you had a faulty temp sender on a non remaped car your car would be running on a lower power output constantly because the Ecu thinks your A2 is still warming up to running temps .. on another note as such most remaps ive seen just overwrite all the maps with the max output map which means you should take care to warm the engine up before giving it the right foot :)

On the OEM Ecu map theres several maps for fueling and boost ect so dependent on engine temps the ecu decides what the power output is , if you had a faulty temp sender on a non remaped car your car would be running on a lower power output constantly because the Ecu thinks your A2 is still warming up to running temps .. on another note as such most remaps ive seen just overwrite all the maps with the max output map which means you should take care to warm the engine up before giving it the right foot :)

you are correct there are in total 8 different fuelling maps for the tdi, they are selected via a control map which reads the engine coolant temp and selects the correct fuelling map for the engine coolant temperature

My remap does not change this, the 8 fuelling maps are still used, so no extra risk of engine damage when engine is cold
there is no ecu learning

Back