rear glass break sensor issue

cheechy

A2OC Donor
New week new issue. Latest is I'm getting a rear glass break sensor coming up on the dash (via vcds) with the light on the dash.

I've managed to clear but after a while it just keeps coming back.

Suggestions? Is there a glass sensor and if so where is it located?

New week new issue. Latest is I'm getting a rear glass break sensor coming up on the dash (via vcds) with the light on the dash.

I've managed to clear but after a while it just keeps coming back.

Suggestions? Is there a glass sensor and if so where is it located?
Seriously though I have never seen such a dash warning light or heard of that issue before. Do you have the VCDS screenshot and a picture of the warning light please?

steve B

Seriously though I have never seen such a dash warning light or heard of that issue before. Do you have the VCDS screenshot and a picture of the warning light please?

steve B

Hi Steve it's the generic engine warning light but on scanning is coming up with the glass break issue.

Thanks.

Do you have the VCDS Etror code perhaps.

It is is a surprise to see the EML triggered by the glass break sensor???? But I have long since given up on assumptions on cars.

The error code might help.

I am aware of the ultrasonic sensor in the roof grill (in the front interior light panel) and this is sometimes called the break glass sensor.
Check the connections there at least.

Steve B

Technically I don't actually have vcds I bought something called obdeleven primarily for my MK3 TT but it so happens it has some functionality for the A2.

I'll need to wait until it fires off again and will do more digging to see if it can bring up the actual code as I didn't think to look this morning when I cleared it down.

Thanks Steve

Last edited:
Technically I don't actually have vcds I bought something called obdeleven primarily for my MK3 TT but it so happens it has some functionality for the A2.

I'll need to wait until it fires off again and will do more digging to see if it can bring up the actual code as I didn't think to look this morning when I cleared it down.

Thanks Steve

Hi,

its the CCCU which records the state of the glass break sensor and other alarm related events. That doesn't trigger the engine light.

If you glass break sensor is not connected you will get something like this:

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: None
Part No: 8Z0 959 433 AE
Component: Komfortgerát T39 1210
Coding: 06859
Shop #: WSC 02138
VCID: 8912B3DDB32C83565A3-4B00

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 8Z2959802A
Component: Tõrsteuer.FS BRM 0004

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 8Z2959801A
Component: Tõrsteuer.BF BRM 0004

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 8Z0959801B
Component: Tõrsteuer.HL BRM 0004

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 8Z0959802B
Component: Tõrsteuer.HR BRM 0004

2 Faults Found:
01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -
01403 - Glass-Break Sensors; Rear
36-00 - Open Circuit

The engine control unit doesn't know anything about it. If you engine light was on then there is something else wrong unfortunately. On the car which the above was taken from there were no faults recorded in the ECU and the engine light wasn't illuminated.

As it happened my glass break sensor wire was actually disconnected from the glass. Its a "press stud" type connection on the bottom the the glass hidden behind the large tailgate trim. I suspect that the wire was "disturbed" on my car by some work in that area in the past such as changing the lock release motor. It seems quite firmly attached so looks like its unlikely to just fall off. As discussed on another thread on this forum, its also possible that this is a sign of the wiring loom between the tailgate and the car becoming damaged and the wires breaking where they flex as the tailgate is opened and closed. Although the glass break wire might be connected to the glass, if the wire is broken along the way back to the car then it goes open circuit. How's your radio reception when the rear window heater is turned on? If it gets bad when you turn on the rear window heater then its a sign that the earth wire to the tailgate is on the way out.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

its the CCCU which records the state of the glass break sensor and other alarm related events. That doesn't trigger the engine light.

If you glass break sensor is not connected you will get something like this:

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: None
Part No: 8Z0 959 433 AE
Component: Komfortgerát T39 1210
Coding: 06859
Shop #: WSC 02138
VCID: 8912B3DDB32C83565A3-4B00

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 8Z2959802A
Component: Tõrsteuer.FS BRM 0004

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 8Z2959801A
Component: Tõrsteuer.BF BRM 0004

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 8Z0959801B
Component: Tõrsteuer.HL BRM 0004

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 8Z0959802B
Component: Tõrsteuer.HR BRM 0004

2 Faults Found:
01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -
01403 - Glass-Break Sensors; Rear
36-00 - Open Circuit

The engine control unit doesn't know anything about it. If you engine light was on then there is something else wrong unfortunately. On the car which the above was taken from there were no faults recorded in the ECU and the engine light wasn't illuminated.

As it happened my glass break sensor wire was actually disconnected from the glass. Its a "press stud" type connection on the bottom the the glass hidden behind the large tailgate trim. I suspect that the wire was "disturbed" on my car by some work in that area in the past such as changing the lock release motor. It seems quite firmly attached so looks like its unlikely to just fall off. As discussed on another thread on this forum, its also possible that this is a sign of the wiring loom between the tailgate and the car becoming damaged and the wires breaking where they flex as the tailgate is opened and closed. Although the glass break wire might be connected to the glass, if the wire is broken along the way back to the car then it goes open circuit. How's your radio reception when the rear window heater is turned on? If it gets bad when you turn on the rear window heater then its a sign that the earth wire to the tailgate is on the way out.

regards

Andrew

Ok good shout on this one. I've had the tailgate trim off a couple of months back to replace the number plate lights and boot lock so may have inadvertently disturbed this wire.

It's reporting an open circuit so sounds like it's the same error. My rear window demister performance is also poor but only on the to half bizarrely enough.

I do have flap motor being reported when I scan but that's been there since I bought the car. Glass break sensor reported as open circuit is almost definitely the reason for the dashboard light. Don't know if the MY changed the way this was reported but I've got a 2005 tdi90

Last edited:
Right I'm talking rubbish here.

I assumed it was the temp flap from before but it's the intake so bad news. I need a tdi90 throttle body as it's being reported with a intermittent fault.

I need to decide where I stop with this car as it's become a total money pit.

Right I'm talking rubbish here.

I assumed it was the temp flap from before but it's the intake so bad news. I need a tdi90 throttle body as it's being reported with a intermittent fault.

I need to decide where I stop with this car as it's become a total money pit.

You’ve practically got a new car by now! Better the devil car you know! How much more can be wrong?

At last you are better off than I am! Squeaky engine, crunchy gearbox, stiff selector tower, gubbed climate control, dead wheels and Tyres, faulty thermostat and I’ve actively been fixing things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back