another problem :(

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys,

after spending the last few weeks trying to get my wifes car up to scratch a new problem has arisen :( whatever the problem maybe im not sure.

Yesterday, after leaving the scrapyard entrance from a slightly raised kerb and sped away, i noticed a kind of knocking noise, which has now turned into a shudder throughout the car. this was evident going faster on the motorway :(

any ideas what has happened and what to check for? this might be out of my league when trying to fix this issue if its relating to ball joints, arbs etc...

i hope its nothing too serious as ive spent alot of time fixing and polishing this car in order to try and save money!

thanks!

Difficult to guess though arb, tie rod and ball joints all possible along with (less likely) tracking. I'm away from tomorrow else I'd be happy to take a look (I'm local).
Out of interest, is there an A2 in a local scrappies I've not seen yet? I still have bits to get for our cars.

Can you jack up a corner and have a tug at the various bits on each wheel and see if there is any give or play? Juddering doesn’t sound good but knocking does sound like suspension to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult to guess though arb, tie rod and ball joints all possible along with (less likely) tracking. I'm away from tomorrow else I'd be happy to take a look (I'm local).
Out of interest, is there an A2 in a local scrappies I've not seen yet? I still have bits to get for our cars.

damadgeruk, i might take you up on that offer :D im not too bad at attempted strip downs and replacements with the A2 but when it comes to diagnosing a problem...well thats a different story!

Whenever you are free i can pop over and have a blether or if you want to come to mine then your more than welcome. PM me and we can make a date ;)

what bits are you after for your car?

cheers

PM'd. I don't 'need' anything other than a working FSI engine. :) I've a long list of wants though very few items that will appear in a scrapyard (I do like a rummage though-picked up a good cill cover recently).

It may even be a loose wheel. Check all studs first.

Until you have identified the cause I would suggest that you don’t use the car (be safe).

Steve B

Could be something as simple as a weight come off the wheel, albeit a rather large weight to cause such a vibration though....only a thought!

id suggest getting hold of the drive shaft tubes under the car and see if theres any play as sounds like inner gearbox side cv joint to me as same symptons of members dark horses A2 and when i checked it over it had eaten one of the cv tripod bearings , easily checked , if you grab hold of the driveshaft , try twisting the shaft to check for any play and you can pull the shaft towards the gearbox or towards the wheel to check for play to , if they have gone youl feel the play for sure or in his case flapping about

i will report back when ive got it up on axel stands.

is there a thread for dark horses problem? if it is what you say jigsaw, is this a costly job?

cheers

i will report back when ive got it up on axel stands.

is there a thread for dark horses problem? if it is what you say jigsaw, is this a costly job?

cheers

he did say he was going to post a thread up as took loads of photos while we fixed it and of the faulty tripod which had been running on 2 bearings instead of 3 for some time ..

No not costly at all and even with basic skills about an hour each side ...

I used Jr cv joints on my tdi rebuid last year and found them very good quality and 4000+ miles later in my beastier tdi they were still fine and used the same to replace Darkhorses ones ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-1...799537&hash=item1e85190a3d:g:35AAAMXQvJVRXEI4

and the outers if needed ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-1...del:A2&hash=item21282e155d:g:Z8QAAOSwaPtZ3ePT

they are very easy to fit and basic instructions ,,

jack the A2 up, remove lower engine cover , undo the 6 allen keys , then the tricky and messy part wear rubber gloves marigolds ect .. Remove the cover on the end by bending out the 3 tabs now theres a circlip on the end of the drive shaft and a pain to get off , prob easier to bend it outwards and pull off with pliers as a new one comes in the kit ..

the n/s driveshaft with come out of the gearbox stub with ease as anough clearance

the o/s one is very tight as not quite enough clearance , youl need someone to push the engine towards the passenger side so it moves in the engine mounts slightly and opens up the clearance so it will come out of the gearbox stub

Regards Gary

hi guys,

never got around to checking this problem with the cv joints etc... due to a serious issue with the shuddering. it has now misaligned something in the gearbox as when i try to use reverse it goes forward :( what ever this major problem is, it has done some serious damage by the looks of it. the engine wobbles when trying to engage gear and it has blown the exhaust (badly) somewhere in either engine bay or beneath. i guess this is what happens when you drive a car with a slight problem only to have a domino effect. it will have to go into a garage in order for it to be diagnosed properly. however, i cant travel far due to the condition its in.

spoke to tom and murdo via whatsapp last night and they say it could be engine mount related. i know jigsaw said it could be driveshafts and cv joints but ive still to check that out. it looks like this might be a job for the professionals, if i can find one locally!!!!

any ideas what to check for while its still light outside?

im peeved off after spending all that time recently fixing the brakes, door locks, cleaning etc...

cheers

Last edited:
The going forward when trying to reverse may be the gear selector we talked about. I would push it over to reverse on the stick but the gearbox would be pushing into first. The readjustment worked for me as did the greasing of the selector tower.

Good luck with the rest of it pal. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkhorses car had shuddering and posibly its now taken out your dog bone mount as you say engine wobbles , which would then pull on the gear cables , knock on effect , and make them out of adjustment, this is just guess work , youl need to get under her and have a good poke about :)

update:

i managed to look under the bonnet today and it looks bad :( i had the engine running and revved it a few times and it definitely looks like an engine mount thats busted as the whole engine is rocking backwards and forwards really bad, like its ready to jump out lol this would explain why the exhaust is totally split but i wont be able to fully confirm all the damage from my knowledge until ive got the undertray off. i will have a look at what else is busted and report in more detail over the weekend.

so can someone tell me how many engine mounts there are and is there an easy way to tell if they are cracked, busted or something missing. what is the cost of these parts?

i would also add an exhaust to this list from manifold downwards so if anyone can help asap that would be great.

i will post a video clip over the weekend when i have time.

couldnt have come at a worse time of year :(

cheers

Hi Cammy

There are 3 mounting points for the combined engine/gearbox unit.

The one you see on the left as you look into the engine bay. One on the right attaching the gearbox to frame of the car and the third one that attaches the bottom of the gearbox to the subframe known as the dogbone mount.

Although they all play a part in keeping the engine in place, the one on the underside (dogbone) is most responaible for preventing backward and forward rocking. Luckily for you its the easiest and cheapest one to replace.

I'm surprised you have not boticed the clunking every time you lift on and off the accelerator.

its my wifes a2 and when i asked her if there were any weird noises or shuddering she was kinda clueless until i checked. its my fault for letting her drive it when i first heard a clunk, cracking noise in the first place. it just got steadily worse the longer she drove it.

the question now once ive properly looked at it is.....should i buy 2nd hand parts or new parts? and is it easy to tell if the engine mounts are snapped, bust or missing parts? how big a job is replacing the exhaust from manifold to centre as ive never had a problem with exhausts in the 9 years ive owned one.

cheers

The dogbone mount is a definate DIY and i'd only use new. The one from the polo works and is a lot cheaper.

The exhaust manifold I would imagine is a snapped flexi pipe. So it would just mean it going in for a repair to this. Most exhaust places could do that for you.

Last edited:
hi guys,

took off the undertray and these were the first photos i took :/

IMG_20171105_143225_resized_20171105_040834833.jpgIMG_20171105_153937_resized_20171105_040833120.jpgIMG_20171105_153937_resized_20171105_040833120.jpgIMG_20171105_154011_resized_20171105_040834114.jpg
IMG_20171105_154011_resized_20171105_040834114.jpg

the 3 bolts attaching the underside of the gearbox came off :/ now this points to me since i recently done a gearbox oil change however, i thought i tightened these bolts up pretty good. as for damage all i can see from underneath is a black plastick pipe holder has broken (still to post photo) the oil filler pipe section to engine and the exhaust from engine...im assuming its totally snapped but i cant get in or around to take a photo to show you so it looks like from the manifold downwards. im hoping that the gearbox is still fine and will set itself back into place once everything has been put back together. is there anything else to check out that i may have missed?

anyone know what the reddish rust colour stuff is from the underside of gearbox???

so if i start with a small parts list im looking for the oil filler pipe section that leads into the red part (my terminology is terrible for cars) the exhaust manifold (not sure how many parts are involved with this) and possibly the black plastic pipe holder thing.

if anyone can help on the above that would be great :)

cheers

Last edited:
hi guys,

took off the undertray and these were the first photos i took :/

the 3 bolts attaching the underside of the gearbox came off :/ now this points to me since i recently done a gearbox oil change however, i thought i tightened these bolts up pretty good. as for damage all i can see from underneath is a black plastick pipe holder has broken (still to post photo) the oil filler pipe section to engine and the exhaust from engine...im assuming its totally snapped but i cant get in or around to take a photo to show you so it looks like from the manifold downwards. im hoping that the gearbox is still fine and will set itself back into place once everything has been put back together. is there anything else to check out that i may have missed?

anyone know what the reddish rust colour stuff is from the underside of gearbox???

so if i start with a small parts list im looking for the oil filler pipe section that leads into the red part (my terminology is terrible for cars) the exhaust manifold (not sure how many parts are involved with this) and possibly the black plastic pipe holder thing.

if anyone can help on the above that would be great :)

cheers

If your dog bone engine mount has gone the shaking would have loosened any bolts that were not fully tightened, perhaps.

As for the oil everywhere and the brown residue, that is likely to just be the oil that has gone into the undertray and then been blown everywhere. Every time you top up the oil it just goes into the oil tray.

I may be wrong but with the bolts put back in, the dog bone mount replaced and the oil filler pipe reconnected it should make a huge difference and may be all that you need to do (apart from the exhaust repair).

I hope it is like a baby pelican (Not a huge bill YET)

Steve B

Back