Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: another problem :(

another problem :(

hi guys,

after spending the last few weeks trying to get my wifes car up to scratch a new problem has arisen whatever the problem maybe im not sure.

Yesterday, after leaving the scrapyard entrance from a slightly raised kerb and sped away, i noticed a kind of knocking noise, which has now turned into a shudder throughout the car. this was evident going faster on the motorway

any ideas what has happened and what to check for? this might be out of my league when trying to fix this issue if its relating to ball joints, arbs etc...

i hope its nothing too serious as ive spent alot of time fixing and polishing this car in order to try and save money!

thanks!
    Cameron A.K.A Mr Angry
    The New One! OSS, 6-speed 'box, Mk2 RNS-E & Bluetooth, Bose + 6CD, Black Leather Sports Seats, 3x3 Rear Bench & MFSW, Heated Mirrors, Cruise Control, komfortblinker, Koni FSDs & Weitecs, Whiteline RARB, AmD remap, 1.2TDi Aero Mods, Twin-Tone horn, DIS, 4 x Electric Windows, Auto-Dim Mirror, Rear Cup Holder, Rear Storage Box, Custom Sun Blinds, Collapsible Spare Wheel, Audi Roof Bars, Rear Sensors, Heko Wind Deflectors - Upgrades to follow: 12v Boot Socket, Front Headlamp Washers and some things to fix!

Difficult to guess though arb, tie rod and ball joints all possible along with (less likely) tracking. I'm away from tomorrow else I'd be happy to take a look (I'm local).
    Out of interest, is there an A2 in a local scrappies I've not seen yet? I still have bits to get for our cars.

Can you jack up a corner and have a tug at the various bits on each wheel and see if there is any give or play? Juddering doesn’t sound good but knocking does sound like suspension to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by damadgeruk View Post
    Difficult to guess though arb, tie rod and ball joints all possible along with (less likely) tracking. I'm away from tomorrow else I'd be happy to take a look (I'm local).
    Out of interest, is there an A2 in a local scrappies I've not seen yet? I still have bits to get for our cars.
    damadgeruk, i might take you up on that offer im not too bad at attempted strip downs and replacements with the A2 but when it comes to diagnosing a problem...well thats a different story!

Whenever you are free i can pop over and have a blether or if you want to come to mine then your more than welcome. PM me and we can make a date

what bits are you after for your car?

cheers
    Cameron A.K.A Mr Angry
    The New One! OSS, 6-speed 'box, Mk2 RNS-E & Bluetooth, Bose + 6CD, Black Leather Sports Seats, 3x3 Rear Bench & MFSW, Heated Mirrors, Cruise Control, komfortblinker, Koni FSDs & Weitecs, Whiteline RARB, AmD remap, 1.2TDi Aero Mods, Twin-Tone horn, DIS, 4 x Electric Windows, Auto-Dim Mirror, Rear Cup Holder, Rear Storage Box, Custom Sun Blinds, Collapsible Spare Wheel, Audi Roof Bars, Rear Sensors, Heko Wind Deflectors - Upgrades to follow: 12v Boot Socket, Front Headlamp Washers and some things to fix!

PM'd. I don't 'need' anything other than a working FSI engine. I've a long list of wants though very few items that will appear in a scrapyard (I do like a rummage though-picked up a good cill cover recently).

It may even be a loose wheel. Check all studs first.

Until you have identified the cause I would suggest that you don’t use the car (be safe).

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Could be something as simple as a weight come off the wheel, albeit a rather large weight to cause such a vibration though....only a thought!

id suggest getting hold of the drive shaft tubes under the car and see if theres any play as sounds like inner gearbox side cv joint to me as same symptons of members dark horses A2 and when i checked it over it had eaten one of the cv tripod bearings , easily checked , if you grab hold of the driveshaft , try twisting the shaft to check for any play and you can pull the shaft towards the gearbox or towards the wheel to check for play to , if they have gone youl feel the play for sure or in his case flapping about

i will report back when ive got it up on axel stands.

is there a thread for dark horses problem? if it is what you say jigsaw, is this a costly job?

cheers
    Cameron A.K.A Mr Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
    i will report back when ive got it up on axel stands.

is there a thread for dark horses problem? if it is what you say jigsaw, is this a costly job?

cheers
    he did say he was going to post a thread up as took loads of photos while we fixed it and of the faulty tripod which had been running on 2 bearings instead of 3 for some time ..

No not costly at all and even with basic skills about an hour each side ...

I used Jr cv joints on my tdi rebuid last year and found them very good quality and 4000+ miles later in my beastier tdi they were still fine and used the same to replace Darkhorses ones ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-1-...AAAMXQvJVRXEI4

and the outers if needed ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-1-...QAAOSwaPtZ3ePT

they are very easy to fit and basic instructions ,,

jack the A2 up, remove lower engine cover , undo the 6 allen keys , then the tricky and messy part wear rubber gloves marigolds ect .. Remove the cover on the end by bending out the 3 tabs now theres a circlip on the end of the drive shaft and a pain to get off , prob easier to bend it outwards and pull off with pliers as a new one comes in the kit ..

the n/s driveshaft with come out of the gearbox stub with ease as anough clearance

the o/s one is very tight as not quite enough clearance , youl need someone to push the engine towards the passenger side so it moves in the engine mounts slightly and opens up the clearance so it will come out of the gearbox stub

Regards Gary

11. Users that liked this post:

damadgeruk (15-10-2017)