Rear door lock mechanism

DJ 190

A2OC Donor
I have a problem with a rear door mechanism. It doesn't lock that door. At a recent A2OC get-together, Tom (Timmus) seemed to think that it was the actual mechanism that was faulty. Today, I was surprised to find that I had a spare! I fitted it but found that nothing had changed .... the rear-door remained unlocked! I operated the door locking using the remote fob and observed that that particular door was silent during the locking operation. I am about to visit Holland for a holiday and my concern is that the A2 will not be secure during my visit. I only have a few days to put things right .....
Any ideas? The plug/socket in the B-pillar? Which pins go live when the command is made to lock the door? I could supply an independent live feed and see if there is then a reaction (noise) from the door mechanism? I have an electrical spray "sevisol" which might help? (I do remember that Tom had said that he didn't think that the problem laid there, though?)
Any help will be much appreciated

David

It could simply be a fact that BOTH of your door locks are faulty.
Is it possible to try the removed door lock loose in the Opposite rear door, I would expect the connector socket to be the same. Obviously the lock will not fit into the door, but would eliminate the lock assy from the set of possibles

having tackled this recently myself im still getting errors with my door lock however, it has cured the problem with the double clicking and door open sign not showing on the dis. it could be a combination of the loom and lock (microswitch) thanks to paul (above) he managed to guide me through a few problems i was having but in the end i managed it. be prepared for a few swear words and if its the rear you only need to remove the bottom 2 bolts from the window frame to swing it forward to remove the door lock.

btw the amount of muck and dirt built up over the years where the microswitch is was crazy!

check out my thread...

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?33762-door-locks

any problems let us know and we will do our best to complicate things :p only joking :)

cheers

Last edited:
if its the rear you only need to remove the bottom 2 bolts from the window frame to swing it forward to remove the door lock.

Actually, you can leave the frame completely alone .... no need to remove any bolts to get the door lock out. Remove the door handle to free-off the link wire. I had thought (afterwards!) to have just tried to loose-connect another mechanism to see what happened. If I'd done that, it would have saved quite a bit of work! The other rear door works perfectly. It seems that power is just not reaching the mechanism ? I'd like to know how to check that?

David

Woe is me! A few day's to go to my holiday and things are really going "pear-shaped"! I need help, please! Today I tried both rear-door mechanisms (original and spare) in the opposite rear door. They operated correctly. I looked at the connector block in the side of the "B" pillar. I moved it about and the micro-switch worked on that side, too. So it appeared that the problem had laid there. I fitted the door mechanism and door handle. With everything exposed (inner door aluminium cover still off, wiring exposed, etc.), I shut the door to test it's operation. All doors locked as they should, headlights flashed once and there was the "beep" to acknowledge full locking. GREAT, I thought! .... job done! I went to OPEN the rear door ..... NO WAY! I know that I've connected everything right, including the door-handle connection. When I operate the key fob to open/lock the car, I can see and hear the arm on the side of the door mechanism operating! The door is still firmly shut!
Where do I go from here? I can see that it would be possible to unbolt the rear-door hinges through the back of the "B" pillar? There HAS to be a way to sort this out? There must have been instances where a micro-switch has failed in the "door-locked" position.? I was concerned about security on Holiday if I COULDN'T lock my car fully .... now I'm faced with only three opening doors! Oh well, this is a great club and I'm sure that someone will be able to help .... Just what is stopping the door from opening?

David

David

Woe is me! A few day's to go to my holiday and things are really going "pear-shaped"! I need help, please! Today I tried both rear-door mechanisms (original and spare) in the opposite rear door. They operated correctly. I looked at the connector block in the side of the "B" pillar. I moved it about and the micro-switch worked on that side, too. So it appeared that the problem had laid there. I fitted the door mechanism and door handle. With everything exposed (inner door aluminium cover still off, wiring exposed, etc.), I shut the door to test it's operation. All doors locked as they should, headlights flashed once and there was the "beep" to acknowledge full locking. GREAT, I thought! .... job done! I went to OPEN the rear door ..... NO WAY! I know that I've connected everything right, including the door-handle connection. When I operate the key fob to open/lock the car, I can see and hear the arm on the side of the door mechanism operating! The door is still firmly shut!
Where do I go from here? I can see that it would be possible to unbolt the rear-door hinges through the back of the "B" pillar? There HAS to be a way to sort this out? There must have been instances where a micro-switch has failed in the "door-locked" position.? I was concerned about security on Holiday if I COULDN'T lock my car fully .... now I'm faced with only three opening doors! Oh well, this is a great club and I'm sure that someone will be able to help .... Just what is stopping the door from opening?

David

David

This should work,

Unlock via the remote, then give the outer door handle a thump with the side of a clenched fist (firm, but don't break anything.)

Trust me this really should work.

The cause is the small cable from the outer handle to the lock mechanism, this is likely to be too tight, just refit it and it should be ok.

Steve B

Hello Steve. I read your reply at 10:48 P.M. I went to the garage and gave the handle a "thump". The door opened! I will now sleep well tonight!
Thank you so much for your (typically) prompt and caring response!

David

Hello Steve. I read your reply at 10:48 P.M. I went to the garage and gave the handle a "thump". The door opened! I will now sleep well tonight!
Thank you so much for your (typically) prompt and caring response!

David

I am so glad it helped, this club thrives on mutual help and the great thing is that the pleasure of helping others often exceeds the pleasure of receiving that help.

That all sounds a bit too deep, but I can't think of another way of saying it.

You have helped many and so it really was great to be able to return some of that.

Steve B

Back