Cup holder pop-up repair

I dread the words ‘5 minute job’ on here because I will invariably be sitting surrounded by bits an hour later with a puzzled look on my face and 55minutes late for something... that said, this was a 5 minute job.

My pop up mechanism in my cup holder had broken. The little spring which flaps up the front had gone missing so it didn’t close without effort and wedging and I’d ended up just glueing it fixed in place - useless.

d9c4a996bb7d70884f18f471ee93626c.jpg

A kind member on here sent me a broken cup holder with the facing broken off.

I spent some time playing with it in a well lit room and discovered that the front pop up bits can be removed with the cup holder in situ. I transplanted working parts into the cup holder in my car and IT TOOK 5 MINUTES!

Cup holder repaired and saved myself popping out the stereo and hazard light bit.

I also have plans for the soft close mechanism bits.

Reuse, recycle, repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done many a 'mix and match' on the front cup holders.
I have a bag of bits of left over cup holder parts.
What I did find on the cup holders that I had was a common failure was that the cup holder would not remain closed. This one 3 examples that I had was due to a very small (2mm) triangle of plastic braking off the very back of the sliding portion of the cup holder.
This triangular piece sits under the little lever which pivots in the top part of the cup holder case. it is only about 2mm across the triangle flats and sits about 3mm tall

My fix was to drill an 0.5mm hole into the slider in the middle of where the triangular piece had broken off. I then fitted and glued in place a piece of 0.5mm hard wire, when set trimmed it to length. I then mixed up a little 5 minute epoxy and applied a blob to the wire end. Once this was dry it was filed into a triangle shape.
Once the cup holder was re assembled (with a little silicon grease on the repair) the cup holder now closes and remains closed as it should, a slight push inward and the cup holder tray slides out as it should.
I have one cup holder that was repaired in this manor over 18 months ago and it as worked perfectly ever since.
The wire gives the repair a lot of strength as epoxy alone would not stick in place as there is so little glue area.

This will not fix every broken cup holder, but it as saved 3 of mine.

Hope it helps a few members (warning - you do need good eye sight as you are drilling VERY small hoes and filling epoxy in to a VERY small triangle shape

Cheers,

Back