15" pepperpot tyre choice

delta

Well time for new tyres. Decided to use my pepper pots to put new rubber on.
I was using them for winter tyres but now want to put some tyres on that should be good
year long.

Would I be right thinking that 185 55 15 would be a suitable tyre choice?
Any suggestions for tyres welcome
Was thinking Dunlop blu response or uniroyal rain tyres.

Thanks

Checking out prices and 195 50 15 tyres
are way cheaper.
Will the narrower profile negate any ride benefits
from pepper pots over 'std' six spokes on 195 50 16 I wonder.

I've been running bluresponse for a while now (18 months) on my daily driver(focus) and can recommend them for grip and feel. I get around 15k out them though that's all I have managed for years with the focus on various tyres.

I've been running bluresponse for a while now (18 months) on my daily driver(focus) and can recommend them for grip and feel. I get around 15k out them though that's all I have managed for years with the focus on various tyres.
I have Blu Response also. They are excellent.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I recently fitted 15" pepperpots with 185/60 blue response. For me they are a great compromise. Comfy, quiet, and sharpen the steering. Definite yes mprovement over previous 16" alloys.

Thanks for the vote of confidence with the
Blu response.
Any one running with 195 50 15 ?
Would be interested if they still have some
compliance / comfort too?

I have recently fitted Dunlop Blue Response tyres on pepper pots size 185/60/R15. They are comfy and quiet with the added fuel efficiency rating. National tyres did have them on offer for around £60 a tyre... may be worth a check to see if this still applies.

Ta
Dave:)

id also recomend Dunlop Blue Response and i find 185 60 15 the best tyre size like Dave has already mentioned there a really smooth and comfy ride , im running 195 50 15s at the moment and although tighter handling they are not comfy and dont absorb any of the bumps

anyone else got 195 55 r15 that can comment as im looking for new boots, im sure scneltrecker (spelling?) had that size as the best overall but i cant see any mention of 185 60 r15 for comparison....

I'm running 195 55 15s - Kumho's. Although I prefer the look of 16 or 17 inch wheels on the A2, this size does give a pretty good ride quality.

Seconded. I run Blue Respone 195/55/15 and there is a marked comfort improvement on the sports OEM 205/40/17 nine spoke of my A2. Mind you with it's sports suspension it is still a tad harsh.

As for filling the wheel arch 195/55/15 is almost identical in rolling diameter to 205/40/17 and thus no different to the original OEM sports (and keeps validity of speedometer, well with its built in 3% error!). A2 wheel arches are by design inherently roomy and never look properly filled without tinkering with suspension or maybe larger 19" wheels.

Andy

Last edited:
195 55 15 Sounds like a good compromise. 50 profile on 15's probably
look a little lost in arches and I imagine ride maybe not even
as good as 195 50 16?
Now to find some at a decent price...

Sorry to be a stickler for the rules but to protect yourselves against your Insurers, and stay the right side of the law, you should really only use Tyres of the correct sizes specified for the car, so that is only the Sizes on the Tyre Pressure Sticker.

There are of course specified maximum and minimum limits for the permissible Width of Tyre to be fitted to any Wheel.

Some Insurers can be very awkward about it. Main problems I have had with them have been with Winter Tyres. Several Insurers idiotically regard Winter Wheels and / or Tyres as a Modification ! We all know they are a safety improvement, and for some of us essential to be able to get to work.

Some say you must tell them every time you change from Summer to Winter Tyres, and back again. Some are OK with you fitting Winter Tyres of the same size as Summer Tyres but not any different sizes of Tyres or Wheels.

Others say they do not even want to know, as long as the Vehicle Manufacturer will confirm they are correct for the Vehicle to which you are fitting them.

Best I have found is Quote Me Happy Insurance in this respect.

I stick to 185 50 16 on the original SE 16" Alloys and the proper A2 Winter size of 165 65 15 on Genuine Audi 5.5 x 15" Steel Winter Wheels.

Last edited:
@‘66Beetle yours is the winter arrangement I would prefer; OE narrower steel wheels shod with winter tyres, but I have never seen any for sale at a reasonable price. Recently I was tempted by the set of 15” pepperpots with Michelin Alpin A4 tyres.
If anyone fancies a swap please get in touch
Andrew

Looking for the Invoice for my Genuine Audi A2 Steel Wheels to give you the Part Number. Bought them new from Lake District Audi. There were 2 variations. Think you could get 5" or 5.5". One digit different in Part Number. I asked for 5.5". They got me 5" by mistake. They re ordered the 5.5". Only Tyres I have ever had on them are 165 65 15 Vredsetein Snowtrac 3. There are loads of Tyres available in that Size in the mid £30 - mid £40 price bracket from mytyres.co.uk tyreleader.co.uk oponeo.co.uk I just get them from whoever is the cheapest at the time.

Found the Invoice in the Glove Box, and the explanation on here in 2011. The 5" x 15 Steel Wheels are 8Z0 601 027 A03C The 5.5 x 15 are 8Z0 601 027 03C. They were only £160 for a Set of 4 back then, for either size ! The 5" are needed to use with Snow Chains with 155 Tyres.

Checked with Crewe Audi. Said the A2 Steel Winter Wheels are now £75 for the 5” x 15 and £85 for the 5.5” x 15

Glad I bought mine when I did at £160 for a Set of 4 inc vat !

I was convinced I had asked this question previously, but cannot find it after 30 minutes of advanced searching.

My winter wheels are A3 pepperpot alloys (6J x 15 H2 ET38) shod with Michelin Alpin A4 185/60 R15 88T.

This is a non-standard size (declared to my motor insurer) and so tyre pressures are not listed inside my fuel filler flap.

¿What tyre pressures should I run with two passengers, and fully loaded?

Thank you, Andrew

Back