1.2tdi rear brakes problems

wliz

For some reason my audi a2 1.2tdi rear right brake pads wear very fast and uneven, with other side everything is okay. I replaced 3 sets of brake pads in a month and only in rear right side. The brakes are not sticking, everything assembled correctly. I tryed to replace brake cylinder, alumynum brake drum, new springs, everything on that side is new and it still keeps eating brake pads very quickly. I dont know what to do. Maybe right side wears off so quickly because I replaced only that side brake pads? Please give me advice.

Last edited:
Perhaps the LHS needs bleeding and because of that, the RHS is doing more of the braking?

RAB

when ever you do brakes its highly recomended to do them in pairs and have the same set up both sides so the brakes and braking is even, A bit of a head scratch hear though as you say everythings ok and its eating pads in a month as rears tend to last 3 or 4 sets of front pads,.....could you pop to a local mot test station and have the car put on the brake rollers to check them for stopping power and eveness incase youv 1 wheel of 4 doing more of the braking hense wearing the pads out quicker..

Ill try to change both sides now. Both cylinders are bled and brakes feels really nice. I tryed to release handbrake tension, still rear right side brake pads gone. If changing both sides to new pads will not help, Ill be out of ideas

I was thinking more the brake slave cylinders as possibly 2 different internal dia , id suggest replacing the other so both same brand /type as know there a few varations and even though on the outside the part looks the same .. like i mentioned before always replace in pairs

I was thinking more the brake slave cylinders as possibly 2 different internal dia , id suggest replacing the other so both same brand /type as know there a few varations and even though on the outside the part looks the same .. like i mentioned before always replace in pairs

Both cylinders are correct dia 15,9.
Drums and pads 180mm. Its some kind of magic I cant understand. I bought this car with this problem

For those that don't know, 1.2Tdi rear brakes are difficult to set up because of the composite brake drums. There is very little shoe movement in order to protect the drums, so the shoes run very close to the drum.

In the absence of individual adjusters on the A2 (unlike the Lupo 3L), I would replace both cables. The cables don't stretch over time, but the spring at the wheel end gets weaker and this has the same effect and often differs on both sides. This might cause one side to rub, given the small amount of movement.

When renewing, I always wash down with a pressure washer first. Makes sure that the six plastic inserts on the back plate get some copper grease.

RAB

The alloy drums have a very hard inner compound - there are two types of shoe compound for 1.2 TDIs. Agree with RAB on cables and adjustment but you will find it much easier and cheaper to replace them with Lupo/Arosa steel drums and normal (non drilled out) pads just like German forum cars have done. Very slight increase in weight but much more reliable. Try Bosch ones - Mister Auto sell sets that fit but make sure you get smaller diameter ones like 3L

I have finally found some non-VW shoes that give longevity comparable to 6E0698520X. These are Zimmermann 10990.152.3. The VW shoes are actually made by Pagid but don't seem to be available from anyone other than VW/Audi. The Zimmermann shoes are about half the price.

RAB

Back