drivers side doors not physically locking

Mr Angry

A2OC Donor
hi guys,

2 days ago my wifes car decided not to lock on the drivers side doors. even on dis the doors still show open and closed as normal but when it comes to locking from either inside (using remote or door option) or outside it wont lock. i have tried the key to lock it but it doesnt :/

ive even stripped the door down again but dont see anything suspect. im assuming that the door locks are knackered. is there anything i should check on the door lock to see if something has came loose or can someone tell me which part of the lock is operated by the locking of the door. when i push & engage the lock with a screw driver and reopen it as normal it works but not when its closed.

think i will bite the bullet and just get another door lock!

i thought i had fixed this but i guess not :(

cheers

I have just attended to this exact problem! I had been advised that it was likely to be the door lock mechanism. However, it wasn't! It was the connector from the door into the "B" pillar. It is so easy to access and to examine, so I'd suggest that you start with that? ( even manoeuvring it about can get things working!) These door-locks are very robust. There are two micro switches which are internal and fully protected from the elements. I think that they are most unlikely to have failed!

David

Try manually locking it from the locking switch in the driver’s door.
If that works it is not your door locks, it would be your key fob / CCCU.

Steve B

Hi David, Forgive my ignorance but where exactly is the b pillar on he a2? Is it the centre part where the seatbelt is (beneath it) or is it somewhere else? Also are you describing the connection for the driver's rear door into this section and did you experience both front and back doors not locking? If I'm correct in what I've said does the front door lead into a similar layout?

Cheers

Hi David, Forgive my ignorance but where exactly is the b pillar on he a2? Is it the centre part where the seatbelt is (beneath it) or is it somewhere else? Also are you describing the connection for the driver's rear door into this section and did you experience both front and back doors not locking? If I'm correct in what I've said does the front door lead into a similar layout?

Cheers

Yes, I "jumped the gun" and was referring to the REAR door ..... you are talking about the FRONT door .... sorry! Only my rear door had the problem. However, a short time ago, I DID have a front fail on me. It would "clack" when you started the car. I replaced the whole door mechanism. It was some task because you have to remove the window and frame to get the door mechanism out! Now if you do get a replacement unit, it's easy to just unplug the suspect lock and then connect the plug to the socket on the replacement, while it's still loose. Then you can test to see if everything now works or if nothing has changed. That's going to save a hell of a lot of work if it's NOT the mechanism that's at fault!

David

Cammy,

If it's both front and rear that have stopped working at the same time and the passenger side are okay, then it could be a fuse. Check fuse 39 or 41 as each side is protected separately.

Steve

i was hoping that it was a fuse that had blown, unfortunately it wasnt :(

i keep forgetting i have door locks from my fsi :/ so i will swap when it stops raining :)

it better work or im clueless on what to try next!

cheers

i ended up using the door locks from the fsi, which worked but im now left with 2 doors that are still open on the non running fsi :( at least it cured the problem. maybe ive unseated something inside the locking mechanism, not sure!

cheers

Back