Two new tyres ...

andrewparkeruk

A2OC Donor
My front (summer) tyres will need to be replaced soon. RoSPA recommends the best, in my case new, tyres should go on the rear axle
Car: tyres

RoSPA-> tyresafe.org -> btmauk.com
http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Replacing-car-tyres-important-information.pdf

If fitting two tyres, it is recommended they be fitted to the rear of the car and ‘match’ with others as possible/feasible. The reason for this is to ensure as stable a handling position as possible particularly on wet roads...

As a secondary benefit for the owners of low annual mileage front wheel drive cars, the switching of the partly worn rear tyres to the front, enabling the new tyres to be fitted to the rear, creates a cycle which helps prevent their deterioration due to ageing/prolonged exposure. The rear tyres wear relatively slowly and leaving them in their original positions for a prolonged period can result in the need to replace them before they are significantly worn.

Given that the rear of an A2 is so light, are there good, contrary arguments for putting the best tyres on the front?

Thank you, Andrew

I debated this issue long and hard with a tyre company.

My logic was was that I want the best grip on the wheels that steer.

Their logic was that if the car is going to skid it is much safer if the front end slides a little rather than the rear.

If the rear breaks away the car is likely to spin and you would lose steering anyway.

If the front slide slide then at least you should not spin the car around and cadence braking (or ABS) will get your steering control back to some extent.

So I changed my strong belief and now agree with them that the new tyres should go on the rear.

Steve B

No, all tyre manufacturers and motoring organisations I have checked say the same - new/better tyres go on the rear. Which begs the question, why do most tyre fitters not seem to know this? Or are they too lazy to change the wheels? ;)

No, all tyre manufacturers and motoring organisations I have checked say the same - new/better tyres go on the rear. Which begs the question, why do most tyre fitters not seem to know this? Or are they too lazy to change the wheels? ;)

I think the later is very likely :)

As Steve said, this is to promote understeer (which simply requires slowing down to rectify) as opposed to oversteer which requires corrective steering action to recover from the tail slide. My wifes 'only' two crashes (on sweeping corners) were due to my ignorance of this recommendation (good tyres to the rear) though they were 20 years ago.

I agree that best tyres should be at the front, however that does not necessarily mean newest. More tread does not mean more traction unless on snow or a certain depth of water.
I think for people living on the motorway more tread at the front may be more important as aquaplaning in a straight line is a risk ; the front wheels then clear the water for the rear tyres most of the time (just go straight :eek: ! )
M

I agree that best tyres should be at the front, however that does not necessarily mean newest. More tread does not mean more traction unless on snow or a certain depth of water.
I think for people living on the motorway more tread at the front may be more important as aquaplaning in a straight line is a risk ; the front wheels then clear the water for the rear tyres most of the time (just go straight :eek: ! )
M
@oko I’m not clear who you are agreeing with, as everyone thus far has argued for the better tyres on the rear :)

The point you make about aquaplaning is the sort of thing I was thinking about. My car is a TDi90, which has rear disc brakes. I know, from having owned the car for 8 years, that the rear brakes don’t do as much work as the front. When I press the stop pedal, it makes sense that I want the most grippy tyres to try to stop my front wheels.
Most of my deceleration comes from taking my foot off the go pedal rather than jumping on the stop, and so for the most part, the advice of best tyres on the rear makes sense (... or fit best tyres all round!).

Andrew

Last edited:
Back