Newbie.....looking for my first A2

Pallasar

Newbie...new FSI sport - Pics posted

Hi guys,

Just joined last night and Im eager to find my first A2 and get onto the scene :)

For my sins I currently own a W168 Mercedes A class which I have fixed back up, but I should always have bought the A2 in the first place...:rolleyes:

I've posted an ad in the wanted section to find myself a good example and as a life long car club guy I know the best cars never find their way onto autotrader or ebay...they get "kept in the family"

Who am I?
I live in Gt Manchester and in addition to working in an office full time I clean up classic cars as a detailer through my sideline Pallas Auto Refinishing.

My aim is to create one of the cleanest A2s in the country, and in the past with other cars I've owned, I've won awards at car shows for best working concourse etc.

Car history to date: (its quite varied)
VW Polo CL 1985
Renault 9 TE 1982
Citroen ZX 1.4 1991
Citroen Xantia 1.8 1994
Audi Coupe 1.8 GT 1985
Audi Coupe GT 2.2 5 cylinder
Citroen Xantia 1.6 1994
Volvo 850 T5 1996
Peugeot 406 2.1 td 1998
VW Passat wagon 1.9 td B4 1996
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD 1996
Citroen XM 2.1 td 1993
Mercedes A class 1999 (current car)

My brother is a massive Audi head and club member with his 2016 Nogaro RS4 avant and MK1 pristine Audi TT 225 and I want to be hitting Audi car shows again with him soon.

I look forward to being part of your scene guys and getting me one of these aluminium design classics :cool:

Vince

Last edited:
Welcome. I bought an MOT failure for my son for £400 two months ago and joined this forum. It needed new rear suspension and a new exhaust to get it through the MOT, we have also done many cosmetic things like a new door in the right colour to replace a badly scratched one. A2steve on here has helped me out with many parts and I think we've spent about £900 all told including the purchase price, it really is a nice car now. All my sons mates are buying Fiesta's for double the price and they are only half the car.
It's a good place here with lots of help.

Good luck

Well the deed is done. Yesterday I bought myself a 2003 1.6 FSI sport in dark grey with black sport interior. The car is 99% "mint" but it doesn't need anything other than a few tiny touch ups and the brakes painting. I blew my budget but after driving it home and washing and waxing it, it's worth every penny Pictures to follow v soon

Well the deed is done. Yesterday I bought myself a 2003 1.6 FSI sport in dark grey with black sport interior. The car is 99% "mint" but it doesn't need anything other than a few tiny touch ups and the brakes painting. I blew my budget but after driving it home and washing and waxing it, it's worth every penny Pictures to follow v soon
Well done on what sounds like a great purchase Vince,
Like the old saying goes, pics or it didn't happen lol
Cheers Jeff

So, I finally have 5 minutes to post up some pics of my new to me A2 FSI :D

Its an original low mileage (54K) 1.6 FSI sport with FSH (mostly main dealer) and has just had a full Gates cambelt kit and water pump fitted. The alloys have been professionally stripped and refurbed and its wearing brand new vredestein tyres all round. Tool kit it present and full and it has the BOSE 6 CD changer head unit fitted.

It needs very little....its got 3 tiny stone chips in it which I will do, and some of the interior buttons are worn, which I need to speak to Audi about replacing. The pan roof doesnt work but from what Ive read on here thats quite common so it doesnt bother me as it is. If there is a cheap fix for these then maybe i'll consider it at some point, but for now its got climate control so who needs an opening roof :p It runs perfectly but it would be interesting to get it hooked up to a scanner to see if anything cropped up.

The car is black on black with the sport interior and naturally very tidy. I blew my budget buying it, but Ive learnt alot fixing up old/classic cars over the years and sometimes paying more up front costs you less in the long run. Im not planning on selling this car for a long time.....my intention is to have this like new by show season next year then attend some meets if Im welcome :)

Anyway....pics:

Untitled by Vince Hargreaves, on Flickr

Vince

Hi Vince. Looks a great example, especially the wheels. Hardly run in at just 56k and a good base for your detailing. Look forward to seeing it in due course at a social.

Thanks Alan...Im really happy with it...the quality of fit and finish it heads and shoulders above its rival the Mercedes W168 which Ive been running for the last 2 years or so.

Looks great. The sport model does not come with fog lights so they must have been added?
Correct, but they were a factory option so might just have been on the car when it was sold new.

Or as you say, they may have been added. The kits on eBay are in the region of £80 and come with genuine fog light trims.
The fog light units are aftermarket and not OEM quality, but perfectly usable.

Steve B

Interesting guys thanks...I need to itemise all the receipts on it's history...if they were retro fitted then perhaps it may be contained in its paperwork?

...if they were retro fitted then perhaps it may be contained in its paperwork?

I think it's unlikely that they were retrofitted. Although Sport models didn't include front fogs as standard, there was nothing to stop the original purchaser from checking the extra box on the order form. Almost everyone thinks the A2 looks much better with front fogs fitted, so a lot of Sport models had them fitted at factory.
I've retrofitted front fogs to A2s more times than I can remember, but a vast majority of such retrofits have been to base models or low-spec 2005 Special Editions. A lot of people who were willing to spend the extra on Sport specification were also willing to spend a few quid extra on fogs.

Cheers,

Tom

Back