Thanks

David f

Iv just brought my Mrs her first car and guess what it's a A2 tdi.
I thinks it's the basic modul but it's tidy I hope. Lol only got it yesterday the fob is not responding, use the blade and all works but the passenger doors only unlock once the key has turned in the ignition. I only have one key and have changed battery iv also tried taking out the door lock with key in the ignition to simulate second key, iv tried 4 different methods and to no avail....I can't seem to sync or reprogram key How do I find the product code for a replacement key. Any good advice is much appreciated ....

Birchall is your man, but he is not near you
Welcome to A2OC
Lots of help and advice here, Steve b will help you with the key problem also you can search in Google may find the answer more quickly.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The first thing to try is the following.

Put the key in the ignition, turn it on, press the unlock a couple of times and then immediately turn off, take the key out and try it from inside the car.

That should work.

Steve B

Thanks.
but tried that one and tried leaving key in ignition while removing door lock and locking, unlocking door with screwdriver.
Holding the unlock button while unlocking the door. The batteries that iv tried are all fully charged. Ps thanks for the response.

Thanks.
but tried that one and tried leaving key in ignition while removing door lock and locking, unlocking door with screwdriver.
Holding the unlock button while unlocking the door. The batteries that iv tried are all fully charged. Ps thanks for the response.

If your fob is working and it has definitely been working before, then that process should work every time.

I would imagine that the previous owner has possibly replaced the key fob at some stage and it has never been paired to the car.

Was there not a second key?

If you buy a replacement key that key will not work either until it has been paired to your car.

So it sounds like you need to find someone who can pair your key to the car.

I may even be the wrong frequency on the key you have (if the previous owner replaced it) so getting a duplicate key of the same part number might not work.

But to find the part number of your key you need to split the front half away from the back half. (a small screwdriver can be used to ease them apart.

The part number is on the back half (the half with the buttons on it.)

Steve B

If it helps I was playing with internet VIN decoders last week and I found one that quoted radio frequency of key system of the specified VIN. Most decoders are just an excuse to extract a small fee before they release FULL information but I recall it was well down the result list of a google 'VIN decoder' search, possibly page 2, and I think I remember (not sure) it was in German, but MHz is MHz in any language. I could try and find it again if it helps and you can't track it down.

Andy

Last edited:
Forget the last post I've just remembered the carrier frequency is in the options list in the handbook/boot.

Andy

Ok thanks.
If it's not the right fob is there anyway I can find out what fob I need. And the videos if seen the fob has a little red light on it that flashes when the bottom is press, mine don't.

Ok thanks.
If it's not the right fob is there anyway I can find out what fob I need. And the videos if seen the fob has a little red light on it that flashes when the bottom is press, mine don't.

None of my remotes have an indication led, I suspect (as Steve suggested) the fob needs paired using VCDS.

Yeah that would help if you dont mind finding it. Any help is much appreciated.

If you are referring to the carrier frequency, as I said in my second post last night, look early in the handbook for a stuck on list of gobbygook options code list. If you do not have the handbook in the boot lift tool store lid in the floor and it will be there. You then put the codes through a decoder such as this

http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

You are looking for something like attached.

Ask more help if you need it - Andy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Back