Nat_s2

A2OC Donor
Had anyone noticed the prices of TDIs have dropped a lot recently

I picked a half decent one up this week with 185k and MOT till June 18 for £450

Just seen another couple around the 600 mark

Surely they can’t get any Lower?

I wonder if it’s the new diesel rules that they government are bringing in

I for one will be keeping my TDI till it’s illegal to use them on he roads lol

It all depends on the car I suppose. I just paid £2900 for my TDI and felt that I had it for a good price.

As car get older, the gap between the cheap ones and the dear ones often widens.

The better cars become rarer as time goes by, some of them age badly and so are worth less (not worthless!!)

Because the better cars are rarer their value goes up.

The more "worn" cars are aging badly and their value drops because of their perceived condition.

People selling their A2 sometimes worry about the mileage and sell them for less than their true value because they think a car with e.g. 150,000 on the clock must be on its last legs. Most of us on here know different.

So the better cars increase in value and the very worn / poorly maintained cars drop in value.

I have bought a few A2s for £300 and £350 and they were great little cars and worth more, but people were scared of the mileage (the £300 tdi had 230,000 mile on it and well over a year later it is still running like clockwork.)
The £400 one was quite simply a bargain. It was a well maintained TDI sport in great condition, but had a problem, that problem was easily resolved.

At the opposite end of the scale, last year I sold my "Project" A2 for £10,000.

I have since sold some very good A2s in the £3,000 to £4,000 range and they were great cars and value for money.

Steve B

Last edited:
As car get older, the gap between the cheap ones and the dear ones often widens.

The better cars become rarer as time goes by, some of them age badly and so are worth less (not worthless!!)

Because the better cars are rarer their value goes up.

The more "worn" cars are aging badly and their value drops because of their perceived condition.

People selling their A2 sometimes worry about the mileage and sell them for less than their true value because they think a car with e.g. 150,000 on the clock must be on its last legs. Most of us on here know different.

So the better cars increase in value and the very worn / poorly maintained cars drop in value.

I have bought a few A2s for £300 and £350 and they were great little cars and worth more, but people were scared of the mileage (the £300 tdi had 230,000 mile on it and well over a year later it is still running like clockwork.)
The £400 one was quite simply a bargain. It was a well maintained TDI sport in great condition, but had a problem, that problem was easily resolved.

At the opposite end of the scale, last year I sold my "Project" A2 for £10,000.

I have since sold some very good A2s in the £3,000 to £4,000 range and they were great cars and value for money.

Steve B

I can vouch for that

The difference between the £450 TDI to my silver TDI (A2steves old one) well there is no comparison

I am just shocked at how cheap the high mileage average condition cars have gone

I can vouch for that

The difference between the £450 TDI to my silver TDI (A2steves old one) well there is no comparison

I am just shocked at how cheap the high mileage average condition cars have gone

Yes and that is great for us.

The A2 has not yet been fully discovered by car enthusiasts.
It is bordering on modern classic status but there are still lots of A2s owned by people who just see them as another small car, now starting to age.

So there are definitely bargains to be had, which is good for those people that know just how good they are (us!!!!!)

Steve B

It's mostly a lack of appreciation for an all alloy car that lasts far longer than it's steel bodied contemporaries.

The media/political anto diesel bias has not helped but most of these cars will meet Euro 4 regs (1,2 tdi close to euro 5) so can be used in cities.

Getting that message out will increase their value cf other 2000-2005 cars including euro 1-3 petrols that have been found to emit more NOx than diesels! (DEFRA 2014 report).

Architects still buying up A2s now Saabs gone.

Back