2nd Key Coding.

putyourmittenson

Hi all.
Today i planned to code a new key to my A2 as i only got it with 1.
I have the SKC code and id48 chip (courtesy of Birchall) and a housing with a freshly cut blade.

I followed this Rosstech procedure;http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-key-matching.html

However the 2nd key only worked once afterwards but not anymore and now the original key whilst still working normally has a fault which means the orange key and car symbol constantly flashes.

Is there anybody out there that understands the issue here?

Regards, M

The flashing of the car symbol means its still in programming mode. Remove key from ignition and wait a few minutes and it should time out.

Do the process again and this time when your in programming mode, put original key into ignition, wait for the car symbol to stop flashing and disappear, then remove key and enter second key and turn to ignition and wait till symbol stays on then disappears and remove key, best to wait 30 seconds at ignition off and last key removed. before testing the keys again.

It is also important to keep the two keys apart from each other in case the system gets confused.

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
The flashing of the car symbol means its still in programming mode. Remove key from ignition and wait a few minutes and it should time out.

Do the process again and this time when your in programming mode, put original key into ignition, wait for the car symbol to stop flashing and disappear, then remove key and enter second key and turn to ignition and wait till symbol stays on then disappears and remove key, best to wait 30 seconds at ignition off and last key removed. before testing the keys again.

Sarge

Brilliant, just me being impatient then. Will give it another go. Cheers sarge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi all.
Today i planned to code a new key to my A2 as i only got it with 1.
I have the SKC code and id48 chip (courtesy of Birchall) and a housing with a freshly cut blade.

I followed this Rosstech procedure;http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-key-matching.html

However the 2nd key only worked once afterwards but not anymore and now the original key whilst still working normally has a fault which means the orange key and car symbol constantly flashes.

Is there anybody out there that understands the issue here?

Regards, M

the Ross tech instructions look to be generic so I wouldn’t recommend following them like that.

If you have the login code for the instrument panel (as you must have obtained to do what you did)

go to 17 instruments, enter the login code (you have to enter the leading zero of course)

Then go to adaption, enter 21
then input the number of keys you have (you need to code them all not just the new one)
then save and accept the message.

Then you should see the immobiliser warning light go off (the orange car/key one)
immedistely turn the ignition off and then do the same with the second key (again waiting until the warning light goes out. Repeat for the third and fourth key if you have that many.

That should be it.

Try it again and let me know what happens.

I have typed the above from memory, so I am sorry if I have been a bit vague.

Steve B

Ok so I'm still a little stuck with this. I enter the total amount of keys I want (2) save and accept. The immobiliser warning light does go off. I remove the 1st key and insert the 2nd key almost instantly. However with the 2nd key the immobiliser light just continually flashes(timed up to 10mins)

What's happening?

Also, when I go back through to channel 21 on the instruments it says just 1 key in the stored value. 2nd key no good then?

Last edited:
Ok so I'm still a little stuck with this. I enter the total amount of keys I want (2) save and accept. The immobiliser warning light does go off. I remove the 1st key and insert the 2nd key almost instantly. However with the 2nd key the immobiliser light just continually flashes(timed up to 10mins)

What's happening?

Also, when I go back through to channel 21 on the instruments it says just 1 key in the stored value. 2nd key no good then?

if this is a replacement key then have you installed the new immobiliser chip?

you cannot reuse existing chips if they have been used on another car.

If this is a key that hat was coded to your car previously then it sounds like the chip is broken.

Steve B

Hi. This is actually a little funny. I've just found out why it wasn't working.

3a302b9626e6545b11354499b6271b55.jpg

Not sure how that has happened but just opened up the key to double check I had definitely put the new chip in. I had, but somehow it's shattered. I only popped it in and a dot of super glue to stop it rattling.
New chip needed then.

Top marks to Steve for identifying this.

Cheers for the advice anyway chaps

Last edited:
Back