Hello! Audi A2 3L

Audi A2 3L

Good morning...

I've owned a Lupo 3L for coming up to 2 years (I drove to Stuttgart to buy it) and love it's mega economy and quirky nature.

It does need a modified driving style to get the most out of it but that's all part and parcel of owning one.

I have personally rebuilt the gearbox in my Lupo 3L (3rd to 4th gear selector fork broke), replaced whatever it needed to make it work as it should and the engine was replaced around 50k miles ago in Germany at VW.

I have however decided that with two young sons, a three door hatchback is getting a bit annoying and that I need more space and 5 doors.

Yesterday I went over to look at an A2 3L and ended up towing it home :cool:

No%20reg_zpsnrnwwprl.jpg

It's a Cobalt blue '03 reg 3L that was brought in from Germany when almost new and I believe that it was owned by another A2OC member, Andrew Fisher.

The car is currently not running (we've had the engine running) as the gearbox control system went wrong and hasn't yet been correctly diagnosed and fixed despite having been sent to an Audi dealer for a new clutch.

I'll probably start a thread in the most applicable forum with updates now and again but it'll probably only cover a few choice upgrades and general running of the vehicle.

I wanted to first say 'Hello :)' and what a great owners club.

Thank you for allowing me to join.

MG

Last edited:
Hi MG,

Welcome to the club. I am pleased to see another fellow UK 1.2 owner on here. It sounds like you’ve got great experience with the transmission on the 3L’s. As you know, they’re great when running right but to enable long term reliability they need to be well cared for/regularly serviced. Unfortunately, I think the UK Audi dealers have little experience with the 1.2’s & their transmissions in particular so they don’t always get the TLC they require.

Cheers
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rob,

Yes, I can think of one example (Erling's car) where the gear actuator, clutch actuator and hydraulic unit were all changed (under extended warranty) for want of a £30 accumulator! To be fair though, the diagnostics cannot detect an expired accumulator. A few weeks ago, my Lupo 3L starter would turn over. I scanned it with VCDS but there were no fault codes or messages. So I suspected the two relays associated with starting and the starter switch. Changed them all. Result - no change. So I carried out a basic setting and found that the clutch voltage was 2.21v. The previous basic setting was only 2000km ago. I then set it to 1.90 but another basic setting gave another figure afterwards and I couldn't change gear, despite the basic setting being "successful". So I've come to the conclusion that the guide sleeve has gone. This may be a consequence of the car never having been given a basic setting when VW (not my current local VW) did the servicing during the first four years of ownership or at least there's no evidence for it in the service book. When I did what was probably the first BS, the clutch voltage was down to 1.2v!

So 3L diagnostics leave at lot to be desired! However, I am sure that we can fix your 1.2, MG. I suspect that I know the original owner of your Lupo - I believe, If I'm correct, that it was the second Lupo 3L registered in the UK. 2001 June/July?

RAB

Hi Rob,

Yes, I can think of one example (Erling's car) where the gear actuator, clutch actuator and hydraulic unit were all changed (under extended warranty) for want of a £30 accumulator! To be fair though, the diagnostics cannot detect an expired accumulator. A few weeks ago, my Lupo 3L starter would turn over. I scanned it with VCDS but there were no fault codes or messages. So I suspected the two relays associated with starting and the starter switch. Changed them all. Result - no change. So I carried out a basic setting and found that the clutch voltage was 2.21v. The previous basic setting was only 2000km ago. I then set it to 1.90 but another basic setting gave another figure afterwards and I couldn't change gear, despite the basic setting being "successful". So I've come to the conclusion that the guide sleeve has gone. This may be a consequence of the car never having been given a basic setting when VW (not my current local VW) did the servicing during the first four years of ownership or at least there's no evidence for it in the service book. When I did what was probably the first BS, the clutch voltage was down to 1.2v!

So 3L diagnostics leave at lot to be desired! However, I am sure that we can fix your 1.2, MG. I suspect that I know the original owner of your Lupo - I believe, If I'm correct, that it was the second Lupo 3L registered in the UK. 2001 June/July?

RAB

Thanks Rab.

I brought my Lupo 3L in from Germany and registered it so I'm the first owner of it within the UK.

I found that on my Lupo, I had to set the clutch voltage down to something like 1.4v to get the car to start in 'S'. It would still start in 'N' but I wanted it to work as it should.

The car drives perfectly like this and starts every time - even if you have to wait for the ECU to decide that it is ok to start the engine ;)

MG

Ok. You probably have a suspect potentiometer on the clutch actuator but if it works like that... You are probably waiting for sufficient hydraulic oil pressure.

RAB

Ok. You probably have a suspect potentiometer on the clutch actuator but if it works like that... You are probably waiting for sufficient hydraulic oil pressure.

RAB

Yeah. What's interesting is that when I really started digging into this particular problem, I found that many garages had fitted new clutch cylinders (this is in Europe) and they had the same problem and had to set them in the same way.

Re - hydraulic pressure. Yes, maybe.

MG

Back