Headlights Ultimate DRL Upgrade £13 for the A2 SPLITTABLES !

E T Oddie

Banned
464.jpg467.jpg486.jpg487.jpg488.jpg489.jpg490.jpg482.jpg

I tried the exact same setup a couple of years back, as did David (DJ190)

Unfortunately the LEDs didn't last long at all and after a couple of days there were gaps appearing.

I hope they have improved them now, that would be great.

Fingers crossed for you that they last because this is the best option if they do.

I just love the way that they switch to orange and flash and the white goes off, when you indicate.

I really hope these are better quality than the ones David and I have tried.

lights off.jpglights on.jpgProjector headlights.JPG

I will buy a set of these if they now last (I even sealed both ends of them to keep moisture out just in case it was that).
I then bought another set and used gentler curves, in case that caused it. But I gave up in the end.

Steve B

Last edited:
Purchased from Amazon.

USUN 2pcs 45cm Sequential Switchback Daytime Running Turn Signal Strip Light Car LED Tube Strips Light Angel Eye DRL Decorative Light Amber/White.

If you can open the service flap on an A2 or replace a household fuse this is easy. 3 connections to each Headlight after chopping original connection to the Side Lights and Indicators. One connection to the + Positive end of the Side light Cable, One connection to the + Positive side of the Indicator Cable and a further connection to the Earth,Tools required = wire cutters to chop cables and pliers to compress BT wetted wire connectors free from a BTengineer if your a BT customer,a flat headed screw driver to remove Splittable Headlight clips. nice effect wether they last 17years like the original Headlight fittings is not expected for £13 but it does enhance the cars look if not mine.

Hi

just to clarify my post above.

It was was not a case of “we did it first”. That is not the way I work.
It was just to say that it is worth just waiting until you have had a few weeks of using them to see if these suffer from the same issue as the four sets I tried and David tried some too.

I sm sitting here hoping that they last because I will be buying some of these if they do.

This really could be a be a great option to modernise your A2. I love what they look like and do.

Thanks for bringing this option up again, I am on the verge of ordering sone now.

As E T Oddie has said, they are easy to fit if you have the splittable headlights (identified by there being multiple clips around the join rather than the one or two on the non-splittable ones)
the only problem I had when fitting the tubes into the headlights was finding a neat way of keeping the tube in place. But there are several options you can try.

Thanks E T

steve B

I used stainless steel clips to hold my DRL's in place. I made them from greenhouse-glass clips. There are spare pins on the headlight connection socket that can be used to get the indicator feed into the headlight.A 60 cm long DRL takes it up the side, as well. IMHO it looks even better. As Steve has said, mine partly failed in just a few weeks!. I see that there are indicator sequencing types available, now!

David

These are the ones then?.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USUN-Sequential-Switchback-Daytime-Decorative/dp/B06XFQS6Q5

So I take it that they are a daylight running light, in other words they are on all the time when the car is running? and when you indicate they flash amber / strobe?

Some owners like my self have the auto light switch fitted, wonder if that would cause a problem? or would that not be a problem?

Sorry for the questions but I do like the idea, just have to get some splittable headlights though. lol

These are the ones then?.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USUN-Sequential-Switchback-Daytime-Decorative/dp/B06XFQS6Q5

So I take it that they are a daylight running light, in other words they are on all the time when the car is running? and when you indicate they flash amber / strobe?

Some owners like my self have the auto light switch fitted, wonder if that would cause a problem? or would that not be a problem?

Sorry for the questions but I do like the idea, just have to get some splittable headlights though. lol

if you want to run these alongside the auto headlight operation, you have the option of just using them as sidelights and so the auto operation is not affected. They will light up instead of your sidelights.

If you want to use these as (always on) DRLs then I would suggest not connecting them into the sidelight circuit. Instead wire them into the switch as you would of fitting DRLs
(Apparently there is a pin on the headlight switch that is designed to power DRLs. Not used it myself but there does seem to be one)
I do have to point out that these are not quite bright enough when used as DRLs but they will give the effect at least and so still worth using.

Steve B

If you replace the side lights with drls take note of this from the mot testers manual

Daytime running lamps are not testable unless they replace the front position lamps. Where this is the case,they should dim when the position lamps are switched on and may extinguish when the headlamps are switched on

Back