Single DIN v Double DIN

Andrew

A2OC Donor
England
I have been puzzled by the terms single DIN and double DIN, eg is a double DIN climate twice the size of a single DIN climate? Unlikely!!! so what's going on?
Today I think I have sorted it in my head due to a picture by A2Steve, but just to be certain I had better check.

Starting at the beginning I get DIN.

DIN is short for Deutsches Institut für Normung = German Institute for Standardization; similar to our British Standards Institute and US ANSI.
Makes sense so that parts manufacturers know the precise dimensions of the part to be made and different manufacturers can make the same part.

Here is my centre console

View attachment 31960

I take it the climate unit and Concert unit are each single DIN units but occupy the same space as a double DIN unit.

Now todays picture by A2Steve of a double DIN climate that made the penny drop.

https://cubeupload.com/im/A2Steve/PhotoEditor150888353.jpg

Not a climate twice the size of my single DIN!!!!!!, but a climate that occupies half of a double DIN frame enclosure.
I get it. Am I right? Not really a double DIN unit but the same size as a single DIN unit!! Talk about confusing ..

Further I notice the bottom corners are rounded and would fit in my ashtray enclosure that has rounded corners. Am I correct?

I assume the enclosure frames are different for double DIN units and you could not put in two single DIN units or can you? and vice a versa?

I think I need someone who knows what they talking about and maybe a picture of a double DIN setup.

Andy

Hi Andy

A double DIN headunit is twice the size of the single DIN or thereabouts.

The only difference between a aingle and double DIN climate panel is that the double has rounded corners. It sits lower in the centre dash to make room for the bigger headunit. You then loose the coin tray.

9ssay1.jpg

2qd0ora.jpg

2mg8eah.jpg

6rpn4o.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I had to post all photos of my old car as couldn't post seperately but 3 and 4 show double DIN setup.

Hi Andy

A double DIN headunit is twice the size of the single DIN or thereabouts.

The only difference between a aingle and double DIN climate panel is that the double has rounded corners. It sits lower in the centre dash to make room for the bigger headunit. You then loose the coin tray.

Thanks Steve,

That confirms one of my suspicions but would the double DIN climate fit in my current ashtray slot, not currently used as an ashtray. Would it physically fit and would the existing single DIN climate looms stretch down?

It's all beginning to make sense!

Andy

Last edited:
When you say ashtray I assume you mean the cubby hole that's directly underneath your climate panel?

The right way to do it is fit a full double din dash and cage.

The next option is to fit a double din cage in your single din dash

The third and one i'm not a fan of is to cut your single din cage so it will accept the double DIN units.

Steve,
I think I understand what Andrew is asking - will the double DIN climate panel fit in the same place as the single DIN climate panel fits on the single DIN dash
I think the answer is YES, but it will leave slight gaps at the bottom corners as the 2DIN climate panel as the radius on the bottom corners, but if it is mounted above the cubby hole then the radius corners gaps will be visible.
Personally I think it would look rather odd, but everyone to their own

(or I may have got totally the wrong end of the stick here :))
cheers,

Thank you Steve (&Paul) you are being very helpful.

The mistake was mine by mistakenly referring to the ashtray and causing confusion.

I get it now, viz the double DIN climate takes the the place of the current single DIN cubby hole (which is ditched), to leave above a double DIN size hole (after ditching the the current single DIN Concert Unit as well).

I'm nearly there now in understanding, but will the double DIN climate slot into the current cubby hole frame, i.e. with matching radius on corners and enough slack on current climate loom? and then follow your second option.

I still have questions between the nuances of all three options but not now - I think I would need them in front of me to appreciate the solutions.

Thanks - Andy

Back