Whiney noise and battery drain.

The battery keeps draining over a couple of days and the car has been whining louder and higher pitched with the revs.
New battery last month, still same.

What should the base amp load be with the car locked up and alarm on?

Could the 2 be related, ie the diode on the alt kaput draining the battery and also stressing the alternator?

Cheers all, this is really making me fall out of love with the car.

if the alternator diodes have gone bad, then the battery will discharge through the alternator, the alternator may feel warm if the current drain is large enough (but if it is taking a few days to flatten the battery you would likely not feel the warmth)
When the alternator is then running, it senses the battery is low and therefore buts a large amount of amps into the battery (to bring the battery back to fully charged), this extra load on the alternator can cause the drive belt to slip slightly and therefore make the whining noise some what louder

You could disconnect the alternator and insulate the wires then leave the A2 to see if the battery still goes flat, if it doesn't go flat with the alternator disconnected then you have the source of the problem, equally if it still goes flat then you have at least ruled out the alternator
Cheers,

Also be careful, The whining noise could be the clutch in the alternator that is making the noise or even the alternator bearing.

A failure of the alternator could be very costly, especially if any of the bits get into the cambelt and tear that, that would cause a serious engine problem.

Not trying to scare you but please do get the alternator clutch and bearing checked ASAP.

Steve B

Also be careful, The whining noise could be the clutch in the alternator that is making the noise or even the alternator bearing.

A failure of the alternator could be very costly, especially if any of the bits get into the cambelt and tear that, that would cause a serious engine problem.

Not trying to scare you but please do get the alternator clutch and bearing checked ASAP.

Steve B

Near impossible Steve as the alternator is driven from the aux belt where ch is totally separate from the cam belt. Also if the alternator was to totally fail and shred the aux belt it drives nothing else so worst case is no alternator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Near impossible Steve as the alternator is driven from the aux belt where ch is totally separate from the cam belt. Also if the alternator was to totally fail and shred the aux belt it drives nothing else so worst case is no alternator

Cheers Paul,

Yes, but I have heard of a case where the alternator seized and shredded the Alternator belt and somehow it got into the cambelt area and caused that to slip.

Maybe it was hearsay and never happened, but I stand by my advice not to take too long to investigate the cause properly.

Steve B

Cheers Paul,

Yes, but I have heard of a case where the alternator seized and shredded the Alternator belt and somehow it got into the cambelt area and caused that to slip.

Maybe it was hearsay and never happened, but I stand by my advice not to take too long to investigate the cause properly.

Steve B

Not saying it didn't happen Steve but assuming the cambelt cover is in place then that makes the cambelt totally enclosed as it would need to be to ensure that any road debris or small stones etc did not damage the timing belt. I do however totally agree that if the alternator is at fault then it should be rectified asap. Running the car with it electrically disconnected is a way to partially prove this. Another thing to try would be to leave it electrically connected and remove the aux belt and run the car

Thanks guys.

Is the alternator a DIY job (i'm pretty handy with the spanners)

I'll have a go at most jobs, except cambelts (somebody else' problem if its timed up wrong!).

Thanks guys.

Is the alternator a DIY job (i'm pretty handy with the spanners)

I'll have a go at most jobs, except cambelts (somebody else' problem if its timed up wrong!).

yes certainly a DIY job, worst part is releasing the tension of the aux belt. There is a 'Hex nut' cast into the tensioner, put I have sheared two off trying to release the tension. I have now made a tool to locate in the tensioner lugs that works perfectly every time. just a piece of aluminium strip about 1.5" wide and 18" long with two bolts in it to locate in the cut outs of the tensioner casting

you do need the correct alternator as some of a free wheel clutch on the pulley and others don't, plus the amp rating is more on some models.
A2steve is normally you man for alternators, but I think he is sold out ATM

yes certainly a DIY job, worst part is releasing the tension of the aux belt. There is a 'Hex nut' cast into the tensioner, put I have sheared two off trying to release the tension. I have now made a tool to locate in the tensioner lugs that works perfectly every time. just a piece of aluminium strip about 1.5" wide and 18" long with two bolts in it to locate in the cut outs of the tensioner casting

you do need the correct alternator as some of a free wheel clutch on the pulley and others don't, plus the amp rating is more on some models.
A2steve is normally you man for alternators, but I think he is sold out ATM

Cheers buddy. Just ordered the alternator. There are 3 possible fits! 50mm, 54mm and 56mm pulleys

Steve B

Cheers, but the alternator on the 1.4 petrol doesn't have a clutch

Cheers, but the alternator on the 1.4 petrol doesn't have a clutch

Sorry about that !! I am not as familiar with the 1.4 petrol A2 as I am the TDI.

But it could be a failing alternator bearing?

Steve B

Alternator fitted today - still sounds whiney. Looks like the bearings in the tensioner are iffy - next job then , replace the roller.
As a bonus, the radio wont turn on now, ffs.

Back