Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does a standard A2 front seat weigh?

How does a standard A2 front seat weigh?

Maybe this is an odd question... but has anyone ever weighed an Audi A2 front seat?

I have an Audi A2 3L and the technical spec states that they're supposed to 'lightweight' versions...

So I thought that I'd check

I'll weigh my A2 3L seats... can anyone give me some accurate figures on standard cloth / leather seats please?

MG
    2003 Audi A2 3L - MOTd and running
    2001 VW Lupo 3L - Now FOR SALE!!

I don't have any seat weights but if you have not already seen it, this old post may be of interest - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread...9338#post49338

Cheers Spike

Leather will add to the weight as will lumbar support. Having swapped mine out now, I know that the originals are pretty hefty, so it wouldn't surprise me that the 3L version was specially lightened.
    WAS : TDI 75 SE 2001 (Little Tank)
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & Mk2 TT seats! Morimoto HID, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

I think you'll find that there were no lightweight seats for the 1.2. Etka seems to confirm this. In the 'hair-shirt', no option version, you were limited to the rear bench seat, which saved quite a lot of weight. Otherwise the standard seats were used. The Lupo 3L supposedly had lightweight seats.

RAB
    2013 E-Up! Dark Blue (Wifey's new car!)
    2001 A2 1.2Tdi Silver, bought in 2007
    2001 Lupo 3L Red, bought new, the first registered in the UK
    1999 Lupo 3L Silver (Wifey's car)
    1946 MG TC owned since 1971 (my first car!)

ETKA does list the PR code Q4T though, that relates to "Lightweight standard seats".

Not all A2s have this code, so there may or may not be a lightweight front version. Further scrutiny of ETKA shows that there is a specific lightweight padding for the front seats - how much this saved over a 'normal' seat, I can't say.

So although from the outside, a fabric seat from a non-3L A2 will look identical to a 3L seat, they will in all likelihood have lighter padding.
    NOW : TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, Winter Pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate, full electric glass, RNS-E, IceLink, Audi BT phone & Mk2 TT seats! Morimoto HID, Pentagon Supaglass, black headlining, cruise & Audi PDC, GALA, S-style mirrors & TT road and steering wheels.(The NEW Tank).

Ok, I think I read somewhere that it was the rear bench that was lighter on the A2 3L but having confirmation is good.

The Lupo 3L does have lighter front seats, the back frame is aluminium... I stripped one of mine down to check after fitting Recaro black leather seats instead

MG

Having got the A2 3L running, I'll be looking for something more comfortable to sit in for it soon.

I'm quite tempted by the Audi TT Black Leather / Alcantara seats with heating etc but they will obviously be a lot heavier! A2 leather seats seem to fetch insane amounts of money.

MG

My Mk2 TT seats in leather/alcantara are lighter than the all leather A2 seats which used to be in Tank. It's a bit of a faff modifying the runners to get them fitted, but so worth it once they're in. Don't bother with Mk1 TT - comfort is no better than A2 sport seats to me, and they'll all be old seats now, at least 11 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipton01 View Post
    My Mk2 TT seats in leather/alcantara are lighter than the all leather A2 seats which used to be in Tank. It's a bit of a faff modifying the runners to get them fitted, but so worth it once they're in. Don't bother with Mk1 TT - comfort is no better than A2 sport seats to me, and they'll all be old seats now, at least 11 years old.
    Thanks, I have looked at the Mk2 seats but prefer the look of the Mk1 versions. I have Recaro leather seats in my Lupo 3L and love them. There are still some good Mk1 seats out there but I will look again at the Mk2 versions.

Do you have any photos of them fitted please?

MG

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Here you go - photos of the Mk2 TT seats as fitted to my little A2, Tank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7293.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	32571

So supportive, so comfy and the heater elements are bone-meltingly warm. Best mod I've done in ages (in fact, it's the first mod I've done in ages, but you know what I mean).