How does a standard A2 front seat weigh?

Audi A2 3L

How much does a standard A2 front seat weigh?

Maybe this is an odd question... but has anyone ever weighed an Audi A2 front seat?

I have an Audi A2 3L and the technical spec states that they're supposed to 'lightweight' versions...

So I thought that I'd check ;)

I'll weigh my A2 3L seats... can anyone give me some accurate figures on standard cloth / leather seats please?

MG

Last edited:
Leather will add to the weight as will lumbar support. Having swapped mine out now, I know that the originals are pretty hefty, so it wouldn't surprise me that the 3L version was specially lightened.

I think you'll find that there were no lightweight seats for the 1.2. Etka seems to confirm this. In the 'hair-shirt', no option version, you were limited to the rear bench seat, which saved quite a lot of weight. Otherwise the standard seats were used. The Lupo 3L supposedly had lightweight seats.

RAB

ETKA does list the PR code Q4T though, that relates to "Lightweight standard seats".

Not all A2s have this code, so there may or may not be a lightweight front version. Further scrutiny of ETKA shows that there is a specific lightweight padding for the front seats - how much this saved over a 'normal' seat, I can't say.

So although from the outside, a fabric seat from a non-3L A2 will look identical to a 3L seat, they will in all likelihood have lighter padding.

Ok, I think I read somewhere that it was the rear bench that was lighter on the A2 3L but having confirmation is good.

The Lupo 3L does have lighter front seats, the back frame is aluminium... I stripped one of mine down to check after fitting Recaro black leather seats instead :)

MG

Having got the A2 3L running, I'll be looking for something more comfortable to sit in for it soon.

I'm quite tempted by the Audi TT Black Leather / Alcantara seats with heating etc but they will obviously be a lot heavier! A2 leather seats seem to fetch insane amounts of money.

MG

My Mk2 TT seats in leather/alcantara are lighter than the all leather A2 seats which used to be in Tank. It's a bit of a faff modifying the runners to get them fitted, but so worth it once they're in. Don't bother with Mk1 TT - comfort is no better than A2 sport seats to me, and they'll all be old seats now, at least 11 years old.

My Mk2 TT seats in leather/alcantara are lighter than the all leather A2 seats which used to be in Tank. It's a bit of a faff modifying the runners to get them fitted, but so worth it once they're in. Don't bother with Mk1 TT - comfort is no better than A2 sport seats to me, and they'll all be old seats now, at least 11 years old.
Thanks, I have looked at the Mk2 seats but prefer the look of the Mk1 versions. I have Recaro leather seats in my Lupo 3L and love them. There are still some good Mk1 seats out there but I will look again at the Mk2 versions.

Do you have any photos of them fitted please?

MG

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Here you go - photos of the Mk2 TT seats as fitted to my little A2, Tank.

IMG_7293.jpg

So supportive, so comfy and the heater elements are bone-meltingly warm. Best mod I've done in ages (in fact, it's the first mod I've done in ages, but you know what I mean).

View attachment 32571

So supportive, so comfy and the heater elements are bone-meltingly warm. Best mod I've done in ages (in fact, it's the first mod I've done in ages, but you know what I mean).
Thank you, they look very nice!

In fact I may have ended up going a different route with mine.

I fitted my Lupo 3L with Colour Concept Recaro leather seats and I've found another set so the A2 will be getting some

20160720_210908_zpskvvdqwot.jpg

It's not a bolt in though due to the three point fixing so I'm in fit some modifications...

MG

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mike

How did you tackle rear seats, did you re-trim to match or source a set of alcantara rears. Like the look and as you say if they offer more comfort a win win.

View attachment 32571

You also have the option of mark 4 golf Recarros

Same problem as the TT ones in that you have to have them properly welded to the A2 subframes and you lose the height adjustment.

But there are a few sets around and so it might broaden your options.

I had mine re-trimmed but they were originally Twist (cream) and so would even match the A2 Twist interior.

Steve B

Drivers door.JPGIpads.JPG

Attachments

• Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 411
I've yet to tackle the rear seats, but it'll be by means of a re-trim in matching leather and alcantara. Just need to find a decent trimmer in the Warrington area now.

Oh, and although you do have to have the TT seats welded to the A2 rails, you don't lose height adjustment with the TT seats. Fore and aft, up and down as per standard.

Oh, and although you do have to have the TT seats welded to the A2 rails, you don't lose height adjustment with the TT seats. Fore and aft, up and down as per standard.

Great, a definite advantage and one worth keeping.

The other advantage is that TT seats can be cheaper, I paid £90 for a pair of front seats (heated ) from a convertible mark 1 TT.

Steve B

I can't comment on Mk1 seats Steve - these are from a Mk2, and the height adjustment certainly isn't lost. These ones cost me £200, including rears, which went back on Ebay and got me £40 back.

Leather is lovely - had leather in Tank from new. The alcantara centres though are superb and much more bum friendly in cold weather.

I can't comment on Mk1 seats Steve - these are from a Mk2, and the height adjustment certainly isn't lost. These ones cost me £200, including rears, which went back on Ebay and got me £40 back.

Leather is lovely - had leather in Tank from new. The alcantara centres though are superb and much more bum friendly in cold weather.

Do you have any pics of the convertion needed for the mk2 seats?
I am in the process of assessing what needs to be done for mk1 seats. To this end I just bought a passenger seat off Ebay as a trial
s-l1600.jpg
As I got this for 99p, switching to mk2 seats would not be a loss!

Geoff

You'll need some donor runners from a pair of A2 seats and then some angle iron - think I used 50mm square. I've not got a template as such - I made up the shape as I went along. It's a tight fit, I know that though. The only real issue with using TT seats as far as I'm concerned though is the seat back release handle - looks a little incongruous. Happy with mine though.

For Mk1 TT seats, adapters have to be made to bolt the runners to the A2 shell. There are 4 attachment points, unlike others (A3, Golf, TT mk2 ?, ...) with only 3, hence the more involving adaptation including soldering...
These adapters are not that complicated. See pictures here :
https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/topic/18473-tt-sitze-im-a2/?page=2
It has been done by several A2 owners.

So you'd loose the height adjustment with this solution ?
I don't see why though...

However, I don't know how the seating height is compared to an A2 seat.

Back