Problem fitting rear cup holder

ajsellors

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I have just been attempting to fit the swing grey rear cup holder which I purchased second hand. I didn't get all the parts but it did come with the rare metal brackets for the rear fixing so I was happy at the time.

To complete the kit of parts I added 2 bolts, 2 washers and the front bracket:

Bolts: N 102 883 03
Washers: N 908 040 02
Front bracket: 8Z0 864 079 B

I also needed 2 self tapping screws to fix the front bracket in place. I used my own but Audi have N 903 642 01.

Fitting the rear bracket with the new bolts and washers went well. The washers I believe are essential and not mentioned in the guide on this post.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?3397-Fiting-Audi-rear-drinks-holder

I placed the washers behind the brackets and on top of the carpet. When tightened, the brackets are pressed against the flat surface of the washers. Without the washers, the brackets would sink unevenly into the soft carpet when tightened and get bent. My brackets had previously been fitted without the brackets and required a lot of straightening to get back to more or less the original shape.

Fitted bracket with washer showing behind. The washers were quite big and have sunk into the carpet:

DSC05053.jpg

When the front bracket is pushed under the back of the center console its holes line up with those in the centre console. The small self tapping screws hold it in place so it can't slide back out.

DSC05054.jpgDSC05055.jpg

Now to my problem. As hard as I tried, I could not get the front of the cup holder to clip into the bracket. The cup holder has a tab which springs out and no matter how hard I tried, it would not engage.

Taking the bracket back out of the car reveals why:

The cup holder on its own, upside-down.

DSC05056.jpg

The tab is shown extended, as would be in the locked position. The button on the top retracts the tab to allow the cup holder to be removed from the car. The second tab seen below higher locking tab in the picture is pressed by the retaining bracket. This causes the locking tab to spring out when the cup holder is pushed onto the bracket.

My problem is that the locking tab never reaches the bracket, its simply in the wrong place! The locking tab has to go under the bracket. My one is too high and doesn't even reach the top of the bracket!

DSC05059b.jpg

The bracket fitted to the cup holder as it would be in the correct place when in the car. There is daylight between the locking tab and the top of the bracket where it should actually be underneath.

I clearly have the wrong bracket as its not the right shape for the cup holder but Audi's parts database in the dealer only shows one bracket.

Looking on the web however, this parts diagram actually shows 3 different part numbers for the front bracket.

8Z0864079, 8Z0864079A and 8Z0864079B.

Crucially, it also lists 2 different cup holder part numbers. 8Z0863476 and 8Z0863476A.

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_sin...863060/part_id/0/is_main_page/0/lang/d#sec_14

The cup holder 8Z0863476 was discontinued in 2002 and so where the front bracket parts 8Z0864079 and 8Z0864079A.
My cup holder was made in April 2000 and is 8Z0863476 without the A.

My suspicion is that when the cup holder changed from 8Z0863476 to 8Z0863476A, it was redesigned with the locking tab in a different place. The later cup holder goes with the newest 8Z0864079B front bracket but the older one requires the original, now discontinued front bracket which is a different shape.

I spotted this thread on the German A2 club site which shows pictures of a cup holder with a different locking tab, one that's much lower than the bottom of the box, and would correctly engage with the bracket I have:

https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/topic/32596-defekte-multibox-mittelkonsolenbox/

My questions are, has anyone else come across this problem? Does anyone have a older style front bracket which they don't need? Is this the mysterious extra bracket shown in the "how to" guide which wasn't used?

regards

Andrew

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,
I have a brand new front bracket at home purchased from Audi tradition a year or so ago, I can check it’s part number for you when I’m home later, it may or may not be what you need but will let you know ok, have you looked on there website to check part numbers? I too was lead to believe there were at least 2 different designs! Not even sure it’s still available but worth a look!
Cheers Jeff

Hi Andrew,
I have a brand new front bracket at home purchased from Audi tradition a year or so ago, I can check it’s part number for you when I’m home later, it may or may not be what you need but will let you know ok, have you looked on there website to check part numbers? I too was lead to believe there were at least 2 different designs! Not even sure it’s still available but worth a look!
Cheers Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I had a look at Audi tradition and they are only listing the "B" type bracket which is the one I have. The earlier parts weren't even on the screen when I was ordering so I don't expect there to be any left at Audi. I'll ask the next time I am in the parts department. I didn't know there were alternatives until I discovered that it didn't fit and did some research on the internet.

regards

Andrew

I am pretty sure that there are no screws used on the front bracket.

I fitted a new unit bought from an Audi dealer direct and the instructions were to slide the front bracket under the centre console, no mention of holes or screws.

I will search out the instructions if I can but I am pretty sure it was just pushed in.

Perhaps it is just in too far to engage with the catch.

Steve B

Thanks Jeff.

I had a look at Audi tradition and they are only listing the "B" type bracket which is the one I have. The earlier parts weren't even on the screen when I was ordering so I don't expect there to be any left at Audi. I'll ask the next time I am in the parts department. I didn't know there were alternatives until I discovered that it didn't fit and did some research on the internet.

regards

Andrew

The front bracket is an obsolete part from Audi. I made a copy about 12 months ago and a few members have bought one I have had very positive feedback from all. If the one that I have designed does not fit then it would be fairly easy to move the latch part to suit your cup holder. I would however need the cup holder for a few days as the bracket takes 3.5 hours to print
Let me know if you are interested in my bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted a new unit bought from an Audi dealer direct and the instructions were to slide the front bracket under the centre console, no mention of holes or screws.

I will search out the instructions if I can but I am pretty sure it was just pushed in.

Steve B

My front bracket had holes for existing screws under the coin cubby to be removed and replaced through the front bracket. I can take photos in the morning if required as I have still to fit the rear bracket.

My front bracket had holes for existing screws under the coin cubby to be removed and replaced through the front bracket. I can take photos in the morning if required as I have still to fit the rear bracket.

Perhaps it was just my memory playing tricks on me, but I would suggest at least trying it without it being screwed in and just a fraction further out, that is at least a way to see if it will work at all.

Steve B

Steve B

Hi Steve,

the bracket does clip in place, but the screws are there to secure it so it can't be slid out unintentionally. The bracket has two holes for small self tapping screws which line up with corresponding holes in the centre console. These are shown in the Audi parts diagram. You can fit it without the screws, they just ensure that its totally secure.

The screws are shown in the diagram from the site quoted above as number 19 as shown below. The front bracket is number 14.

A2 cup holder parts diagram.jpg

regards

Andrew

There is no way that the front mount can come out with the unit in place, or even with it left off, it is a tight fit (or at least it was in my case).

Perhaps I am mistaken, I am only going from memory from a few years back, but if the catch is not engaging what else could it be?

Steve B

There is no way that the front mount can come out with the unit in place, or even with it left off, it is a tight fit (or at least it was in my case).

Perhaps I am mistaken, I am only going from memory from a few years back, but if the catch is not engaging what else could it be?

Steve B

Hi Steve,

if you look at the photos, the catch is about 1cm away from the bracket when the two are in position. They never meet up so it won't engage, no matter how hard you press!
The later cup holders have a different design where the catch protrudes from the bottom of the case where as the one I have is flush.

I can see that the latter design makes the front bracket have a lower profile and so less to see when the cup holder is removed. Its a bit annoying though as it makes the two non-interchangeable, especially as the original doesn't appear to be available any more.

My only option may well be a 3D printed part.

regards

Andrew

Hi Steve,

if you look at the photos, the catch is about 1cm away from the bracket when the two are in position. They never meet up so it won't engage, no matter how hard you press!
The later cup holders have a different design where the catch protrudes from the bottom of the case where as the one I have is flush.

I can see that the latter design makes the front bracket have a lower profile and so less to see when the cup holder is removed. Its a bit annoying though as it makes the two non-interchangeable, especially as the original doesn't appear to be available any more.

My only option may well be a 3D printed part.

regards

Andrew

I didn't know there were "later" cupholders, that is news to me. So that explains it perhaps.

Yes the 3d option may be the way forward, Depronman has been making some brackets I believe.

Steve B

I didn't know there were "later" cupholders, that is news to me. So that explains it perhaps.

Yes the 3d option may be the way forward, Depronman has been making some brackets I believe.

Steve B

I am unsure which bracket I made the 3D printed bracket from. It was simufly who provided the bracket that I copied From memory all of the brackets that I have supplied were in orange PLA plastic
I am more than happy to re design the front bracket cad model I have to suit the other cup holder but I would need the cup holder here to do so

I am unsure which bracket I made the 3D printed bracket from. It was simufly who provided the bracket that I copied From memory all of the brackets that I have supplied were in orange PLA plastic
I am more than happy to re design the front bracket cad model I have to suit the other cup holder but I would need the cup holder here to do so

Hi Paul,

thanks for the offer. I agree, you would need to physically have the cup holder to ensure that the shape and position is correct to trigger the catch and have it lock on properly.
I will look into getting it to you next week unless I find a compatible bracket in the mean time.

warm regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
The bracket I have is part no 8z0864079b, and is In fact the one I lent Paul (Depronman) to 3D print from, if it’s different to the one you have let me know! Hope this helps!
Cheers Jeff

Attachments

• 20169CBD-A2D5-4813-B9F4-9AB516E949AA.jpg
    20169CBD-A2D5-4813-B9F4-9AB516E949AA.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 270
  • E8F24225-41F1-467A-965E-EECF447B0A14.jpg
    E8F24225-41F1-467A-965E-EECF447B0A14.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 2F0D687A-25AF-4E94-BB88-8CBD2E05832A.jpg
    2F0D687A-25AF-4E94-BB88-8CBD2E05832A.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 258
I screwed in my 3D printed front bracket that I got from depronman. Seemed to make sense as all the holes lined up.

I screwed in my 3D printed front bracket that I got from depronman. Seemed to make sense as all the holes lined up.

this is strange as when I designed the bracket I tried it on my own A2 (early 2001 model) and I also tried the original bracket (8z0864079b) and neither had the holes lining up in the centre console. I assumed that they were not meant to align and therefore ignored them. I found that once the bracket was pushed under the centre console it snapped into place and would not move, so assumed the holes to be 'not required'

This does add to the theory that there are in fact two brackets and likely two centre consoles (hence why the B bracket holes did not align with my 2001 centre console)

I will add the part number to the 3D printed parts thread

this is strange as when I designed the bracket I tried it on my own A2 (early 2001 model) and I also tried the original bracket (8z0864079b) and neither had the holes lining up in the centre console. I assumed that they were not meant to align and therefore ignored them. I found that once the bracket was pushed under the centre console it snapped into place and would not move, so assumed the holes to be 'not required'

This does add to the theory that there are in fact two brackets and likely two centre consoles (hence why the B bracket holes did not align with my 2001 centre console)

Thank you for restoring my sanity, I was convinced that the instructions just said push it under the "coin cubby thing" (my words, not theirs)

Can you please try this Andrew just in case?

Has anyone still got the instruction manual that comes with the unit?

That should clear up the confusion over the fittings I had and the "later fitting" that I am unaware of.

Steve B

Hi Andrew,
The bracket I have is part no 8z0864079b, and is In fact the one I lent Paul (Depronman) to 3D print from, if it’s different to the one you have let me know! Hope this helps!
Cheers Jeff

Hi Jeff,

thanks for looking this up. You have the same bracket as me unfortunately.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

I checked my VIN against the parts list and my car corresponds to the 8Z0 864 079 A version of the bracket. It was built during June 2001 and is the 2001 model year. The VIN change over between 8Z0 864 079 and 8Z0 864 079 A is 8Z-1-041 000 which equates to late April 2001, also 2001 model year.

The "A" bracket however still corresponds to the earlier cup holder design, the one I have, so its only the "B" bracket which corresponds to the latter cup holder.

The holes in my "B" bracket do line up exactly as shown by the photos in my first post. If there are different versions of the centre console I have the later one.

The screws aren't relevant while the cup holder is in position as it has no where to go. They are relevant however when the cup holder is removed as it is only the carpet pushing the bracket up against the lip of the centre console which fits into a small groove.

Picture of small groove:

DSC05060.jpg

I didn't spot the screws originally when ordering my parts but did fit my own when I noticed that the two interesting holes in the bracket lined up exactly with the holes in the centre console. Its seems that Audi don't use self tapping screws very much and so don't stock many options. The ones they supply aren't of the right length and have to be cut down as they are too long so its probably best sourcing your own screws anyway!

regards

Andrew

Back