Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve B's Project "Violet"

Steve B's Project "Violet"

Hi,

I accidentally deleted the original project thread so I am recreating it here.

In short the project is NOT to heavily modify an A2 as I have done in the past and I had intended to do this time around.

But quite a special A2 came along (Discovered by A2Steve).

I purchased it from "Rosiedog" (Graham) who felt that it needed more work than he had hoped.

But as I have proved in the past I do like a challernge, especially a "Rescue" project.

Why is it "special"? Firstly the colour is an extremely rare one for an A2 (I have been told that there are only TWO A2s in this colour!)
    It is "Violet silver".
    The other thing that is special about the car is that it was used by Audi on their stand in the 2002 British Motor Show. They were introducing the new FSI engine version of the A2.

This is the car on the stand at the show.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Violet show car.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	32002

As you can see it had red leather (and a three seat rear bench too.) this has been removed by a previous owner and so this is going to be replaced.
    Other extras included BOSE (taken out a long while ago, but I will have it restored)
    It has
    The RNS D Navigation plus. This was a factory option but rarely seen.
    OSS (to be repaired / reconditioned.
    It is a Sport model and so it had Sport front seats with lumbar (also heated) and my favourite standard wheels 17" 9 spoke alloys and DIS.
    It has a boot mounted 6 CD changer.
    The passenger air bag switch option.

It needs a little TLC, the car had been left sitting for over a year (The brake discs are caked in rust! LOL)
    It drives really well
    It look really nice.

I had to take that shot because the lighting did make it look really nice but the camera made it look silver!

Name:	Violet under lightsViolet Steve.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	970.4 KB 
ID:	32003

Plans are as follows (all designed to get it back to original factory spec)

Replacement red leather (which I now have) It was a tricky thing to source due to it needing a bench rear and sport fronts (I could not get heated seats but I am sorting that out. I have bought some Audi heated seats and will get the heater mats swapped to my red seats.)
    Reinstall BOSE
    Install the latest maps possible in the Sat Nav (I have just located and bought a brand new Sat Nav disc, dated 2012 (it is the final edition))
    Reinstall the red leather steering wheel, handbrake lever, door cards and gearstick / gaiter
    New cam belt kit and full service (including brake fluid flush and renew)
    New discs and pads all round
    Fit the set of new OEM mudflaps I bought from Mr Broons.
    Remove the aftermarket rear parking sensors and reinstall a standard rear bumper.
    Fit new (or possibly repair) the exhaust system.
    Bring the underbonnet area back to a nice appearance (Not OTT or OCD)
    New tyres (Decent ones - Avons, just been quoted £58 each!! which is a great price)
    Refurb the wheels (professionally) and new (Genuine) wheel centres
    Find and fix a very small leak in the aircon system (fingers crossed here!!)

Deep clean everything including connolising the seats.

I am sure that there is more, but I won't miss anything.

Some more pictures (before it was cleaned)

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	457.3 KB 
ID:	32006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	32007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	32004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	32005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Violet Steve.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	32008
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Violet under lightsViolet Steve (2).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	723.6 KB 
ID:	32009  
    Last edited by Birchall; 28-10-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

2. 8 users that liked this post:

67boris (04-11-2017), budword (Today), chrisnic (28-10-2017), Jeffers66 (28-10-2017), Sarge (07-11-2017), Si zips (06-11-2017), Special edition (03-11-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (28-10-2017)

Steve, we have Toyo Proxes, I wanted the Avons but could not get them at the time. I think either are good for the A2 and so much better than the unknown Chinese rubbish fitted before. The Toyo's seem very quiet.
    What seats are fitted at present?
    Looking at the pictures it looks to be sitting quite low, does it have broken rear springs?
    Project - May 2003 A2 1.4i Sport, Azur Blue, black sports seats with lumbar, open sky, 17" 9 spoke wheels.
    Daily driver - July 2015 BMW 535d GT M Sport, Sophistico grey/ivory leather comforts, 21" wheels, head up display and 10 speaker Gladen audio install.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleynie View Post
    Steve, we have Toyo Proxes, I wanted the Avons but could not get them at the time. I think either are good for the A2 and so much better than the unknown Chinese rubbish fitted before. The Toyo's seem very quiet.
    What seats are fitted at present?
    Looking at the pictures it looks to be sitting quite low, does it have broken rear springs?
    I haven't checked the springs yet but I can see what you mean, I will check soon.

The seats are a very average black set with a three ful belt rear bench (someone has expressed an interest in that) The driver's front seat has a small burn hole stitched up.

Yes, I was pleased to find Avon's at that price.

I have had Vredesteins on an A2 (on my 19" wheels) and they were VERY good and probably the best I have had.

Steve B
    Last edited by Birchall; 04-11-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Do you know where the 2nd violet silver is? Is it still on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Nat_s2 View Post
    Do you know where the 2nd violet silver is? Is it still on the road?
    It is only "hearsay" that there are only two, so I need to verify that first somehow (difficult since the logbook shows them as Silver!

I will try to find out, for sure and where the other "one" is.

I am also trying to find out the early owners (Via DVLA) and where the car was after the Motorshow and when it was first registered in Jan 2003.

Steve B

Quote Originally Posted by Birchall View Post
    It is only "hearsay" that there are only two, so I need to verify that first somehow (difficult since the logbook shows them as Silver!

I will try to find out, for sure and where the other "one" is.

I am also trying to find out the early owners (Via DVLA) and where the car was after the Motorshow and when it was first registered in Jan 2003.

Steve B
    I find things like that really interesting

I am Trying to track down another A2 my dad had back in 2004 it was the best specced TDI Iíve ever seen even to this day itís in south London some where luckily on the mot history it gives you the garage where it Was last MOTD so going to ring them And give my number and ask them
    To pass it on to the current owners

8. 4 users that liked this post:

Birchall (28-10-2017), JIGSAW (28-10-2017), Kleynie (28-10-2017), Special edition (03-11-2017)

A brief update.

Been using the car car since I got it Home.
    It runs extremely well.
    Most of the rust on the discs had gone due to use of the car. (Booked in next week for new discs all round plus other things on the to do list)

it really hasnt missed a beat.
    Much smoother acceleration now after the super unleaded, injection cleaner and “Italian tune-up”

discovered the cause of the non-operational air con.
    The main pipe from the dryer to the compressor had come into contact with the exhaust somehow and caused a hole.
    A2Steve is kindly sending me a replacement set of pipes FOC, which was good.

I have booked the red leather seats in for refurbishment and to have the bolsters sorted and the heated pads fitted.
    My son has a contact who does this kind of work for maclaren and so it is going to be top quality. Not cheap but mates rates will help a little.

It should bring the seats up like new!!!

I have cleared all of the error codes on the VCDS scan (many were historical ones and probably just symptoms of the flat battery after standing for a year or so.

I will rescan tonight night to see what the errors codes are now.

More later

Steve B

10. 4 users that liked this post:

chrisnic (01-11-2017), Muska (01-11-2017), Special edition (03-11-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (01-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Birchall View Post

Steve B
    Hi Steve,

It would be interesting to find the owner of the car with current plate L7LLK, but how I do not know.
    Can't twig what name this is supposed to cryptically "say".

Assume you already know, or better, what info can gleamed here.

https://cazana.com/uk

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Hi Steve,

It would be interesting to find the owner of the car with current plate L7LLK, but how I do not know.
    Can't twig what name this is supposed to cryptically "say".

Assume you already know, or better, what info can gleamed here.

https://cazana.com/uk

Andy
    yes, I was wondering why the Violet FSI had that as a previous number.

The best I can come up with is that it is almost like the word lilac. Not too different to Violet I suppose .

Or perhaps it is their initials, or possibly just a plate the obtained on a car they bought?

i once bought a car for £60 that had the reg number XHX 7.
    That was quite a find but meaningless. A work colleague said it stood for “kiss me Hardy, seven times”.

She was bonkers!!!

Steve B

The reference to "near Oxford" would certainly be Oxford Audi who were then based in Kidlington just (one green field) north of Oxford, only a hop skip and jump from me. Used them a few times but on my visit last year parked up and thought it odd not many Audi's about and was about to ask for part 8Z0.....and I realised it was Skoda garage? I was helpfully told that Audi had relocated to Cowley, East Oxford.

Andy