Violet under lightsViolet Steve.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
Rear.jpg
Violet Steve.jpg
Violet under lightsViolet Steve (2).jpg
Hi,

I accidentally deleted the original project thread so I am recreating it here.

In short the project is NOT to heavily modify an A2 as I have done in the past and I had intended to do this time around.

But quite a special A2 came along (Discovered by A2Steve).

I purchased it from "Rosiedog" (Graham) who felt that it needed more work than he had hoped.

But as I have proved in the past I do like a challernge, especially a "Rescue" project.

Why is it "special"? Firstly the colour is an extremely rare one for an A2 (I have been told that there are only TWO A2s in this colour!)
It is "Violet silver".
The other thing that is special about the car is that it was used by Audi on their stand in the 2002 British Motor Show. They were introducing the new FSI engine version of the A2.

This is the car on the stand at the show.
Violet show car.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
Rear.jpg
Violet Steve.jpg
Violet under lightsViolet Steve (2).jpg
Violet show car.jpg

As you can see it had red leather (and a three seat rear bench too.) this has been removed by a previous owner and so this is going to be replaced.
Other extras included BOSE (taken out a long while ago, but I will have it restored)
It has
The RNS D Navigation plus. This was a factory option but rarely seen.
OSS (to be repaired / reconditioned.
It is a Sport model and so it had Sport front seats with lumbar (also heated) and my favourite standard wheels 17" 9 spoke alloys and DIS.
It has a boot mounted 6 CD changer.
The passenger air bag switch option.

It needs a little TLC, the car had been left sitting for over a year (The brake discs are caked in rust! LOL)
It drives really well
It look really nice.

I had to take that shot because the lighting did make it look really nice but the camera made it look silver!

Plans are as follows (all designed to get it back to original factory spec)

Replacement red leather (which I now have) It was a tricky thing to source due to it needing a bench rear and sport fronts (I could not get heated seats but I am sorting that out. I have bought some Audi heated seats and will get the heater mats swapped to my red seats.)
Reinstall BOSE
Install the latest maps possible in the Sat Nav (I have just located and bought a brand new Sat Nav disc, dated 2012 (it is the final edition))
Reinstall the red leather steering wheel, handbrake lever, door cards and gearstick / gaiter
New cam belt kit and full service (including brake fluid flush and renew)
New discs and pads all round
Fit the set of new OEM mudflaps I bought from Mr Broons.
Remove the aftermarket rear parking sensors and reinstall a standard rear bumper.
Fit new (or possibly repair) the exhaust system.
Bring the underbonnet area back to a nice appearance (Not OTT or OCD)
New tyres (Decent ones - Avons, just been quoted £58 each!! which is a great price)
Refurb the wheels (professionally) and new (Genuine) wheel centres
Find and fix a very small leak in the aircon system (fingers crossed here!!)

Deep clean everything including connolising the seats.

I am sure that there is more, but I won't miss anything.

Some more pictures (before it was cleaned)
IMG_0926.jpgRear.jpgIMG_0921.jpgIMG_0923.jpgViolet Steve.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, we have Toyo Proxes, I wanted the Avons but could not get them at the time. I think either are good for the A2 and so much better than the unknown Chinese rubbish fitted before. The Toyo's seem very quiet.
What seats are fitted at present?
Looking at the pictures it looks to be sitting quite low, does it have broken rear springs?

Steve, we have Toyo Proxes, I wanted the Avons but could not get them at the time. I think either are good for the A2 and so much better than the unknown Chinese rubbish fitted before. The Toyo's seem very quiet.
What seats are fitted at present?
Looking at the pictures it looks to be sitting quite low, does it have broken rear springs?
I haven't checked the springs yet but I can see what you mean, I will check soon.

The seats are a very average black set with a three ful belt rear bench (someone has expressed an interest in that) The driver's front seat has a small burn hole stitched up.

Yes, I was pleased to find Avon's at that price.

I have had Vredesteins on an A2 (on my 19" wheels) and they were VERY good and probably the best I have had.

Steve B

Last edited:
Do you know where the 2nd violet silver is? Is it still on the road?

It is only "hearsay" that there are only two, so I need to verify that first somehow (difficult since the logbook shows them as Silver!

I will try to find out, for sure and where the other "one" is.

I am also trying to find out the early owners (Via DVLA) and where the car was after the Motorshow and when it was first registered in Jan 2003.

Steve B

It is only "hearsay" that there are only two, so I need to verify that first somehow (difficult since the logbook shows them as Silver!

I will try to find out, for sure and where the other "one" is.

I am also trying to find out the early owners (Via DVLA) and where the car was after the Motorshow and when it was first registered in Jan 2003.

Steve B

I find things like that really interesting

I am Trying to track down another A2 my dad had back in 2004 it was the best specced TDI I’ve ever seen even to this day it’s in south London some where luckily on the mot history it gives you the garage where it Was last MOTD so going to ring them And give my number and ask them
To pass it on to the current owners

A brief update.

Been using the car car since I got it Home.
It runs extremely well.
Most of the rust on the discs had gone due to use of the car. (Booked in next week for new discs all round plus other things on the to do list)

it really hasnt missed a beat.
Much smoother acceleration now after the super unleaded, injection cleaner and “Italian tune-up”

discovered the cause of the non-operational air con.
The main pipe from the dryer to the compressor had come into contact with the exhaust somehow and caused a hole.
A2Steve is kindly sending me a replacement set of pipes FOC, which was good.

I have booked the red leather seats in for refurbishment and to have the bolsters sorted and the heated pads fitted.
My son has a contact who does this kind of work for maclaren and so it is going to be top quality. Not cheap but mates rates will help a little.

It should bring the seats up like new!!!

I have cleared all of the error codes on the VCDS scan (many were historical ones and probably just symptoms of the flat battery after standing for a year or so.

I will rescan tonight night to see what the errors codes are now.

More later

Steve B

Steve B

Hi Steve,

It would be interesting to find the owner of the car with current plate L7LLK, but how I do not know.
Can't twig what name this is supposed to cryptically "say".

Assume you already know, or better, what info can gleamed here.

https://cazana.com/uk

Andy

Hi Steve,

It would be interesting to find the owner of the car with current plate L7LLK, but how I do not know.
Can't twig what name this is supposed to cryptically "say".

Assume you already know, or better, what info can gleamed here.

https://cazana.com/uk

Andy

yes, I was wondering why the Violet FSI had that as a previous number.

The best I can come up with is that it is almost like the word lilac. Not too different to Violet I suppose .

Or perhaps it is their initials, or possibly just a plate the obtained on a car they bought?

i once bought a car for £60 that had the reg number XHX 7.
That was quite a find but meaningless. A work colleague said it stood for “kiss me Hardy, seven times”.

She was bonkers!!!

Steve B

The reference to "near Oxford" would certainly be Oxford Audi who were then based in Kidlington just (one green field) north of Oxford, only a hop skip and jump from me. Used them a few times but on my visit last year parked up and thought it odd not many Audi's about and was about to ask for part 8Z0.....and I realised it was Skoda garage? I was helpfully told that Audi had relocated to Cowley, East Oxford.

Andy

There has been some unfavourable comments about the condition that this car was sold in.

Granted the list of jobs was reasonably large but nothing major and I can understand why Graham was a bit "put off" by the condition.

But seeing as this car is 14 years old (as many A2s are) and it was off the road for over a year, it was not as bad as it seemed and certainly better than I expected.

All I have done so far is to put super unleaded in it and some injector cleaner and that is it.

I have been using it every day since I got it home and it hasn't missed a beat. Even the OSS works ok with no worrying noises, just a slight shudder when the rear glass section is lifted.

But the most misleading of all was a VCDS scan of the car that was "as long as your arm".
The problem with VCDS scans is that they show all errors since the last time the errors were cleared. Add to that the various errors that will be triggered when the car battery goes flat. The system gets totally confused by that and it triggers lots of errors.

So as soon as I got back I scanned the car and stored the error codes, then I cleared all codes and so I had a starting point.
I have now put around 300 miles on the car since I got home. So time for the new scan, which will now only show current error codes.

What a pleasant surprise, a FULL scan showed no significant errors at all, there were three errors on the HVAC (Climate control) but they were for positioning motors and potentiometers. I have yet to see a totally clear HVAC scan and if the climate is working as it should then I don't worry about them. I will probably just "exercise the flaps" (oooh Matron!!!)
The only other error was on the TV aerial, but since there are no programmes broadcast on Analogue now, that is no problem.

After and before scans here (it does prove that you should not pay much attention to a VCDS scan if you have not cleared the codes and rescanned it for current one.
The BEFORE Scan (even that is not too bad)
View attachment Log-OV52YXW-WAUZZZ8Z33N009509-85820.txt

The AFTER scan (as clear as you can hope for)
View attachment Log-OV52YXW-WAUZZZ8Z33N009509-85644.txt

So I am super happy with the car and looking forward to bringing it back to standard.

The Red leather interior is off to the trimmers when I get hold of the heater pads (no rush)

The car is booked in for its new discs and pads, exhaust work and a wheel bearing.

I am hoping to bring it to the meal on the18th (without the red interior)

PS I have also just installed the latest possible Sat Nav disc and so even the Sat Nav is now more up to date. I also fitted the missing CD Cartridge and the sounds are fantastic (although only with front speakers)

Happy days!

Steve B

Last edited:
Steve, you proved this to me when you scanned ours, most of the errors you pointed out as being HVAC, although to the untrained eye it was a long list. Ours had also been off the road for at least 6 months so it was a pleasant surprise to have no engine problems stored.
What make of discs are you using? I fitted Mintex and am really happy with them, also what are you doing to the exhaust?

Steve, you proved this to me when you scanned ours, most of the errors you pointed out as being HVAC, although to the untrained eye it was a long list. Ours had also been off the road for at least 6 months so it was a pleasant surprise to have no engine problems stored.
What make of discs are you using? I fitted Mintex and am really happy with them, also what are you doing to the exhaust?

Budget is tight so I couldn't stretch to top quality and so I have gone for "cheap and cheerful" for now, for the brake discs.

As for the exhaust it needs a bracket replacing and some sealant on some of the joints at the very least, or even a full exhaust. If it needs a new one I will definitely get the details from you about that BARGAIN you managed to get for yours!!!!

Cheers
Steve B

I got Mintex discs and pads for £45, doesn't come much cheaper than that. I guess you have an Indy to fit them? I could help if not.

I got Mintex discs and pads for £45, doesn't come much cheaper than that. I guess you have an Indy to fit them? I could help if not.

Hi,

Thanks for the offer, but as you say, I have the indie in Sunbury lined up to do several jobs all at once.

The ones I bought were £55 and came next day, I thought that was a great price for 4 discs and 8 pads!

Steve B

.....................I have yet to see a totally clear HVAC scan ...............

Steve B

Your long wait is over...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: None
Part No: 8Z0 820 043 D
Component: A2-KLIMAVOLLAUTOMAT 0514
VCID: 377D7BAC156C8EF918-2580
No fault code found.

:D

Andy

Your long wait is over...
Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: None
Part No: 8Z0 820 043 D
Component: A2-KLIMAVOLLAUTOMAT 0514
VCID: 377D7BAC156C8EF918-2580
No fault code found.

:D

Andy

LOL that is a very rare sight to me, congratulations.

Others may have found this too, but I certainly haven't!

Cheers
Steve B

I have now collected all of the parts for the mechanical overhaul and the car is off to my Indie Mechanic in Sunbury to have a good "fettling".

I had the air con sorted today, it was a leak on the main pipe from the "dryer" to the Compressor. It had somehow come into contact with the exhaust and rubber and hot exhaust pipes don't go well together. Steve provided the pies (both just in case) and a local company fitted them and re-gassed and checked it all over for £60. Result!!!

Just in time for the winter (Seriously) the air con helps to clear the misted windscreen in cold weather.
Part of the reason for them being called "Air Conditioners" rather than just coolers.
The moisture in the air freezes on contact with the cooler and so is taken from the air.

That is why you often see a pool of water under a car, as the ice melts it drains out.

So having the air con on in cold and damp weather is a good thing, and it doesn't result in the car being cold because the climate control keeps the temperature nice and cosy.

The seats will be going off to be refurbed soon, after that the wheels will be next.

It is likely to be well sorted in no time !

Steve B

The moisture only condenses out of the car interior air if your G263 sensor is working though... . Mine is now so clear screens! Yay!
Ps. It doesn't quite freeze but a temperature drop will mean that the air cannot hold as much suspended water so it dumps the excess - that's why rising land near the coast, particularly near warm (relatively) water get ALL the rain... i.e. West Scotland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back