Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Steve B's Project "Violet"

Hi Steve
    I have to say looking at the motor show picture the interior looks more of a pink red than the stock red .. pity it was cannabilised .. if I was to relate to the guitars I love, in fender terms it would be fiesta red .. salmon pink.. I wish you luck in getting it back to original ...

Quote Originally Posted by barryleng.bl View Post
    Hi Steve
    I have to say looking at the motor show picture the interior looks more of a pink red than the stock red .. pity it was cannabilised .. if I was to relate to the guitars I love, in fender terms it would be fiesta red .. salmon pink.. I wish you luck in getting it back to original ...
    I thought the same when I saw that picture.
    but the colour of the leather when new is often quite different to it when it has agreed / worn.

Also the lighting is hitting that seat full on.

I am getting the seats fully reconditioned including a recolour (using original colouring) and so they may be a better match.

Cheers
    Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

Trust you to come up with a Guitar analogy Barry

I would say the colour will depend on the lighting, and photographs from an unknown source are very unreliable when used as reference, especially if you're colour balance is set differently. It can make a HUGE difference.
    A2s
    - 1.4tdi Ebony Black w/Red Legends Leather,202k miles,BOSE,RNS-E (Baby Boomer)
    - 1.4tdi Mauritius Blue,OSS,BOSE,Black Sports Leather (Project X)
    - 1.6 FSI SE Ebony Black, BrokenSky (Dad's)
    A6 Allroad - 3.0tdi - Leather, BOSE
    Scirocco Storm - Mk2 1.9 BRMotorSport, many upgrades

Gone, but not forgotten: A2 2x1.6FSI, 2x1.4 (Po/ProjectY) A5 3.0tdi Coupe, 13xSciroccos, 3xCorrados inc mythical Campaign, 4xMk1 Golfs, 3xN & 1xGLi Cabrio

4. Users that liked this post:

Vorsprung durch Technik (15-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sciroccorrado View Post
    I guess he is just highly strung?

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

6. Users that liked this post:

Vorsprung durch Technik (15-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by sciroccorrado View Post

I would say the colour will depend on the lighting, and photographs from an unknown source are very unreliable when used as reference, especially if you're colour balance is set differently. It can make a HUGE difference.
    I have to agree but checking the silver violet it looks pretty accurate ... hence my observation of the interior.. either way even if it’s not true ... I like the colour I see.. better than the Audi stock red...

I would also be willing to bank on the tint color of the glass as well as that interesting 'show car interior illumination' having an effect on the color of the leather in the photo.

Definitely has a bluer hue than the stock red taken in day light and not through glass.
    2001 / TDI 75 / SE Crystal Blue LY7R > Twist SE Heated Leather w/ ⚡ Lumber > Soul Black Interior / Working Open Sky / Auto headlights / Symph' II 6cd / BOSE / DIS / Cruise / Rear Cup Holder, Coat Hangers, Dog guard & Storage ☐ / Stealth remap @ 101hp & 191.7ft lbs / Koni FSD rears / A8 Fuchs Forged winter wheels R16" x 7"j / Front fog light delete /

9. 2 users that liked this post:

Birchall (15-11-2017), Vorsprung durch Technik (15-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Birchall View Post
    Had the car collected by my trusty independent mechanic.

He left me the loan car (A Skoda Octavia!, big and bulky compared to the A2 but a good car!! Sytill getting 50 mpg on my daily commute!)

The first thing he does is to go over the car with a fine toothed comb, so it was a worrying wait because he is VERY thorough.

For example he started by listing that the rear seat is missing LOL
    The issues listed (no surprises)

Needs a new rear silencer box
    Needs the existing exhaust join refitted and exhaust goo used.
    Anti Roll Bar has surface rust no action required (no surprise since the car was laid up for over a year)
    Same (surface rust) on rear brake pipes (no action required) just surface
    Front flexi brake hoses starting to show signs of wear, no need to replace but since I am having new discs all round he is going to replace these anyway.
    Leaking washer bottle pipe
    Tyres worn but legal (I have a set of Avons lined up for less than 240 anyway and will fit them when the wheels are refurbed)
    Clutch required soon (already planned)
    Noisy wheel bearing (rear) already planned.

So, no nasty surprises.

I will have the car back in time for the meal (probably).

He is fitting the new mudflapsI bought from Mr Broons too

That will just leave the wheel refurb and the (to be fully restored) red leather with heated sport seats refitted (plus the BOSE instalklation if I can find a kit.

Coming along nicely

Steve B
    Looks like the car is coming along nicely and i'm hoping you bring it along to the meal for a quick peak at your FSI Marvel, fingers crossed you manage it!

Just got the car back tonight, so a quick test run tomorrow before heading off for the meal.

What a transformation!!!

Mainly due to the clutch, it was a bit heavy and juddery, it is now as light as a feather and a very smooth take off,
    Nice peace of mind knowing that the Cambelt / Waterpump etc, has been sorted
    Same with the new rear exhaust section.
    The new rear wheel bearings have quietened it down a lot, but some noise remains, but that is due to the tyres which will be replaced soon when the wheels are refurbed.
    The new spark plugs seem to have made a significant difference in the power delivery, so one must have been breaking down.
    The brakes worked ok once the rust had been polished off the discs in use, but now with new all round the do feel marginally better (but it takes a time for new discs and pads to bed in). The new disc covers were fitted as werer two new front flexi pipes.
    Nice to see the new mudflaps in place.
    Nice to see the proper "Floppy" wiper reinstated
    There was a slight "click" from the driveshaft area but one of the hub nuts was not tightened up correctly (a new hub nut has been fitted) no more click.
    The "Pipe of Death" was replaced (My mechanic swore at me (in jest) for asking for that to be replaced, but better now when everything was stripped down!
    The manifold flaps were found to be slightly sticky and so working them manually a little seems to have improved the power along with the new plugs.

So the project is definitely taking shape.

The next job is to get the red leather seats sorted, connolised and fronts converted to Audi Heated pads.

That would effectively just leave the BOSE and I am not sure if this is going to happen, I need to find a reasonably priced kit and HOPE that all of the connections are still there, if not it will be a visit from TOM at some stage!

So, fingers crossed I should be able to bring "Violet" to the meal (I have never given a car a name EVER, but this just seems easier than calling it the "2002 Motorshow Violet FSI" - By the way, I have just found some additional wiring that is listed on the build sheet as "Additional Internal lighting loom for display purposes" which pretty much proves that it is the actual show car!

A great sense of satisfaction rescuing this one!!! More than any other rescue project I have done.

I also have to point out that as a completed TDI fan, the FSI grows on you very quickly. In short "Light and Punchy" sums it up best I think.
    I don't think the FSI will ever win any awards for reliability (whereas the TDI would sweep the board) but it is a GREAT car.

Steve B

12. Users that liked this post:

That's great news the car is coming along very nicely, there's nothing more satisfying than improving on something and reaping the rewards. Hope all goes well with the extended run tomorrow and look forward to seeing you and the car tomorrow.

Nice one, we'll have to pop round and see it at some point.
    Project - May 2003 A2 1.4i Sport, Azur Blue, black sports seats with lumbar, open sky, 17" 9 spoke wheels.
    Daily driver - July 2015 BMW 535d GT M Sport, Sophistico grey/ivory leather comforts, 21" wheels, head up display and 10 speaker Gladen audio install.