RNS D Any tips on how to get the most out of this unit

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I have an RNS D in the Violet FSI and I don't want to change it but it has a TV unit and that is, of course, no use. It works fine but with no analogue transmissions it is not much use.

Can I do something to get digital TV to work? I guess I would need a digital tuner, but that would need separate controls etc.

So I guess I am stick with a TV unit that does not have any TV programmes to show.

I have just traced a 2012 CD to at least update the SAT Nav to the roads as they were 5 years ago, currently it has a 2002/3 disc and so it is often telling me that I am in a field.

Cheers
Steve B

I was thinking a cyclone or mini video type player - they run on 12v and would let you play from usb or sd card and are very small so could easily be hidden somewhere. A bit like Apple TV or Amazon fire stick - but less smart.

They normally output to hdmi but I’m sure you could find one that uses component out or maybe rf if you looked at older models.

Just need to see what kind of input is possible in the car tech - maybe a piggyback directly to the screen would be necessary.

If you were set on live TV (and the above was possible) you could use the more smart options (fire stick, chrome cast) that include internet and use a car based dongle or 3G miFi but the data costs might be a bit much. Alternatively use your phone to hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking a cyclone or mini video type player - they run on 12v and would let you play from usb or sd card and are very small so could easily be hidden somewhere. A bit like Apple TV or Amazon fire stick - but less smart.

They normally output to hdmi but I’m sure you could find one that uses component out or maybe rf if you looked at older models.

Just need to see what kind of input is possible in the car tech - maybe a piggyback directly to the screen would be necessary.

If you were set on live TV (and the above was possible) you could use the more smart options (fire stick, chrome cast) that include internet and use a car based dongle or 3G miFi but the data costs might be a bit much. Alternatively use your phone to hotspot.

I believe that it has the usual AV sockets (Composite?) in the back

Steve B

Not cheap but this module and the associated adaptor has been suggested on some other Audi forums - https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/d...-hd-receiver-mit-usb-recorder-mpeg4?tab=cross
https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/i...ima-interface-can/ima-multimedia-adapter-plus

If you have not already spotted this, map disc updates for RNS-d systems stopped in 2012

Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike, yes mine was a 2002 disc and the sat nav kepot telling me that I was in the middle of a field because of the new roads that have been built since then.

I have managed to track down a brand new, boxed genuine 2012 "Final edition" disc.

Cheers
Steve B

I believe that it has the usual AV sockets (Composite?) in the back

Steve B

Yellow, red and white plugs?

I was thinking maybe something like the Sumvision Cyclone media player - it’s very small and can play audio as well. Maybe something with a Bluetooth controller would be better - it could be hidden?

An Hdmi to composure convertor is also needed but pretty cheap.

Yellow, red and white plugs?

I was thinking maybe something like the Sumvision Cyclone media player - it’s very small and can play audio as well. Maybe something with a Bluetooth controller would be better - it could be hidden?

An Hdmi to composure convertor is also needed but pretty cheap.

Thanks I will have to have a think about it.

I was hoping that there would have been a way of doing it so that the original TV controls on the RNS still controlled it.

When they switched off the analogue service I would have thought that many people with standard TV in-car would have had some "plug and play" converters somehow?

But that probably shows my ignorance of "Electrickery"

Steve B

Well, since my map is also outdated, I use google/waze-maps on my phone.
What would be nice is to have rearview camera displayed on the RNS-D Naviplus. What would be necessary for that?

Well, since my map is also outdated, I use google/waze-maps on my phone.
What would be nice is to have rearview camera displayed on the RNS-D Naviplus. What would be necessary for that?

Assuming that the NAV unit as the yellow composite input, someone stated that it had yellow/red/white phone connectors, then all you need is a rear view camera and cable, I bought one from ebay for £6 but cannot find in now, however this one is similar (ebay listing number 152222570949)
Connection is to the head unit yellow connector, the other end to the camera and a feed from the reversion light to power it when the reversion lights come on. On my after market head unit as soon as the camera is powered the Audio is muted and the display is routed to the camera. I have the camera mounted in a custom 3D printed box that sits on top of the tail gate trim panel attached with a piece of velcro, the camera looks through the rear window and is angled slightly down, works an absolute treat.

There were two types of analogue TV tuners, original one had a single AV input on the tuner itself and is easy to spot.

The RNS-D probably has the B tuner (analogue the same size as a glovebox CD player and is mounted in the boot space). This has two AV inputs but requires a cheap adaptor cable to access them, I have lots of spare cables if you need one.

This will give you two sets of AV inputs selectable from the TUNER options.

You can get TV in motion by disabling one of the gala feeds to the RNS-D with a simple switch.

Hi Craig

Thank you for that info and offer.

I gave the grey unit unit in the battery compartment with a visible fan. So I think that means I have the latter of the two options?

Would that mean that (using one of your cables I could fit my rear view camera directly to that unit and not have to try to get the cables all the way to the head unit?

if so I woukd really appreciate it if you would sell me one of the cables if that is ok?
I can PM you my delivery address and you can let me know your PayPal address.

Thank you

Steve B

Back