Wheel spacers

stevieA2

Anyone using spacers with the standard 17" sport alloys . Im looking to bring them out flush with the wheel arch.....what would be the correct width of spacer to use ..

Thanks

I’ve got those wheels with spacers on my TDI90 and I’m pretty happy with the look. Car lowered about 50mm…

On the front I’ve got 12mm hubcentric Bimecc spacers and on the rear it’s the same except I also have a 3mm spacer backing the hub centric one to give me 15mm overall each side. Bolts are longer 40mm bolts all round. The rears I would say are level with the outer arch lip, the fronts are probably in a little bit. With the car being quite low I’d say it’s a fairly good set up visually.

The other reason for the 3mm additional shim on the rear is because the internal dimension of the 12mm Bimecc spacer isn’t deep enough to sit flat on my rear disc/hub so it needs the shim to clear it, apparently this is quite common on Polo’s etc too. Annoyingly I’ve made enquiries about the thicker spacers from Bimecc and similar but the 15mm spacers still have the same internal dimension so won’t fit as is…. so watch out for similar fitment issues over rear drum or disc.

I get a tiny bit of rubbing on the rear arch (brand new tyres though) but nothing major, everywhere else seems to clear just fine.

....12mm fronts, 15mm rear, works for me :cool:

Kennedy

I’ve got those wheels with spacers on my TDI90 and I’m pretty happy with the look. Car lowered about 50mm…

On the front I’ve got 12mm hubcentric Bimecc spacers and on the rear it’s the same except I also have a 3mm spacer backing the hub centric one to give me 15mm overall each side. Bolts are longer 40mm bolts all round. The rears I would say are level with the outer arch lip, the fronts are probably in a little bit. With the car being quite low I’d say it’s a fairly good set up visually.

The other reason for the 3mm additional shim on the rear is because the internal dimension of the 12mm Bimecc spacer isn’t deep enough to sit flat on my rear disc/hub so it needs the shim to clear it, apparently this is quite common on Polo’s etc too. Annoyingly I’ve made enquiries about the thicker spacers from Bimecc and similar but the 15mm spacers still have the same internal dimension so won’t fit as is…. so watch out for similar fitment issues over rear drum or disc.

I get a tiny bit of rubbing on the rear arch (brand new tyres though) but nothing major, everywhere else seems to clear just fine.

....12mm fronts, 15mm rear, works for me :cool:

Kennedy
Thanks for your reply Kennedy...

Thats great advice on the rears spacers as well...i take it your using coilovers being lowered 50mm.......

ive had a quick look at JOM coilovers , Pro Sport ,, Stance+ etc..... these are all around £200-£240.

Do you have any pics of your A2 and the current set-up and any feedback would be helpfull from fellow A2 owners running coilovers within this price range .

Many thanks

Stevie

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Careful with your insurance - spacers are definitely a modification and if you were involved in an accident, even if no fault, your insurance could be invalid if not disclosed

I have spacers on my BM to correct the offset (non standard wheels) and the insurance company didn't care (Chris Knott).

Careful with your insurance - spacers are definitely a modification and if you were involved in an accident, even if no fault, your insurance could be invalid if not disclosed
Better leave well alone !

Would that be the case for my upgrade alloys from 16" SE to the 17" sport wheels as well.......

Better leave well alone !

Would that be the case for my upgrade alloys from 16" SE to the 17" sport wheels as well.......

The 17" sport wheels are a standard A2 wheel and I would find it beyond belief if an assessor would know that they were no on the car when it left the factory.

They may check the part number to see if it is an Audi wheel, but that is probably all.

No harm in declaring them too, I always recommend that.

Steve B

Thanks for your reply Kennedy...

Thats great advice on the rears spacers as well...i take it your using coilovers being lowered 50mm.......

ive had a quick look at JOM coilovers , Pro Sport ,, Stance+ etc..... these are all around £200-£240.

Do you have any pics of your A2 and the current set-up and any feedback would be helpfull from fellow A2 owners running coilovers within this price range .

Many thanks

Stevie

Hello Stevie, yep I am indeed on ST X coilovers fitted a few months ago, it's been a great upgrade to the car. I need to update another thread on the forum with pictures of the suspension and the now complete spec of my suspension/wheel combo but I just haven't had chance.

To be honest pictures of my cars are much overdue so I will try and get something up soon.

I was having a look at my car again earlier and I think the rears are maybe slightly in from level, but it's not far off. With the right wheel-tyre combo you could maybe push them out 16-20mm but it depends what you're trying to achieve and how useable you need it to be. It all depends on how much travel you have in your chosen suspension set up too so maybe you should do suspension first and see what you're working with.

Kennedy.

The 17" sport wheels are a standard A2 wheel and I would find it beyond belief if an assessor would know that they were no on the car when it left the factory.

They may check the part number to see if it is an Audi wheel, but that is probably all.

No harm in declaring them too, I always recommend that.

Steve B
Thanks Steve

A quick call to the insurance to keep things right is on the cards..

Cheers

Back