I'm in a conundrum...

Topsie

A while ago I alluded that I was considering the sale of my FSI Sport,

My problem is it's just causing me too much hassle - it is on 157k and always after some sort of maintenance to keep her going - which is understandable, but is becoming a bit of a money pit. All nicety aside, I'm not willing to spend the cash to keep her running. She is coming to the end of her time (with me at least).

Now I have been quite lucky to have come across a model with quite a list of optional extras and it really doesn't take a lot to figure out that I will get a better return if I (sharp gasp of air) break her for parts.

Herein lies my conundrum. Yes, it's a running 1.6 FSI, but mileage, poor service history and a number of recurring faults drive her value below what I'd be willing to part. Thanks to all the repairs, she stands me in a sum of money I won't disclose here. I don't want to be branded as a profiteer!

I guess I'm after opinions... Do I break her or sell her complete (for a probable loss)

Nick

Did you not buy this car broken with a coolant leak or something?

I doubt anyone would claim you didn't try to bring her back into working order but sometimes reliability is more important. From all I've read on here I'm glad I went TDi75 and even that needs some fair upkeep and expenditure.

You are an admirer of the breed not a museum curator - if the parts of a marginal car are shared to support the continued working of other cars or to support the increased joy of other owners then I say that you are standing by the Audi A2 as a whole if not that car specifically.

Without the people on here who have taken the time and effort to share car parts I suspect I would have had to scrap mine and take an NHS lease car a year or so ago. It wasn't unrepairable but I didn't have the money to spend and I needed a working car.

Ps. Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with bits and pieces. I'm sure several cars live on in spirit within mine now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest and fair, other than a surprise coolant hose explosion and a sudden dead battery, it's been okay (as in it's always started and got me to work!).... But we're expecting our first and we've got 2 dogs so the A2 needs to be replaced with something bigger.

But yes, I bought her as a non-runner with the typical cracked coolant pipe behind the engine, she's since had a new waterpump, thermostat housing, belts, tensioners etc etc but I've still got coolant issues (slow but persistent leak from somewhere around the radiator) and like you, without the knowledge and support from the forum I doubt I'd have ever got her running.

I had 2 weeks of normal error free FSI running, which was good! But 2 weeks out of 70+ isn't really noteworthy!!

It is always going to create a potential bone of contention that will risk creating differing opinions from the community.

Perhaps a way forward could be to advertise it at a price that would make it work for you as a complete car, if it does not sell or get rescued at this price then it is only sensible that you go down the breaking route. It may be a tempting proposition to an interested party if you declare all the work that has been paid for by your good self as it helps reduce the risk to any buyer.

I hate breaking cars, but that said we are generally all in a position where parts from breakers help keep our fine examples alive so its a necessary evil if done sensibly.

Its a tough call but when all said and done in this instance as its about financial recovery then it makes sense to do what works best for you, if anybody critiques it politely ask them to buy the car as a whole and rescue! You cannot knock your attempts to try and rescue it to date. Good luck with whatever route you choose.

It's noteworthy for being BAD!

Mine has actually been mechanically pretty good with most issues still leaving it drivable but any kind of sqwaking red light when you are due to pick up the baby is awful and babies aren't patient!

Mine has mostly been undrivable due to ABS, wheel bearing and tyre issues with the odd pump blowing and an alternator annihilation. Not what you want in a car that you rely on to do 15k a year six days a week!

Perhaps a TDi with a waterproof pad for the back seat (for the prom), a boot cage for the doggies and a roof rack for the piles and piles of baby stuff you need to take everywhere!

Appreciate the replies, the other aspect is not having a car while I break mine, I could cycle to work - but who actually wants to do that!!!

I'll have a good think but they'll have be action either way pretty soon...

Nick

A pity the A2 1.4 and FSI did not have as good an engine as the Honda 1.4 petrol which is super bullet proof and chain driven and a quality build , ultra super reliable .

Treat yourself to a Honda Jazz 2003 onwards,you will not be disappointed a great little car up there with the Germans.

Hi - sorry but have to disagree with you - my 1.4 Petrol has been very reliable over the 12 years I,ve owned it and compared to the complex fsi with its known reliability issues is a simple design without the diesel cars turbo / intercooler and dual mass flywheel issues ( tdi 90 )
All have their merits but simpler is normally better long term (ie open sky versus tin top roof)
Dave

The Jazz does have 'Magic Seats'. Compared to my A2 suitcase seats they are banal and pedestrian but they do have a good name.

My TDI75 astonishes me with its engine I have to say. 200000 miles and still pulling like the little train

The Honda Jazz while typically Japanese in its reliability has no character in my opinion and the styling is dreadful . The stylish A2 should not be mentioned in the same breath and the Honda will dissolve away as it gets older thankfully. No serious car enthusiast would buy I Jazz I hope

Well said just my thoughts also, getting from A to B = Reliability , your are also correct in that it will dissolve as will every other steel constructed auto.maybe not as fast as Fiats or Leylandi but the Honda engine would out perform the 1.4 and FSI in Longevity RELIABILITY. you can always push a car around with a dud engine whilst others are on their way to China to then come back to our shores in some other form.

I wonder how many rolls of Tinfoil ALCAN could have produced for the Alu in an A2.

Now your talking Topsie, The Ultimate Driving Machine from A to B. I have a 29year Old e28s 525e model which of course was the original chassis that led to the First Iconic e28 M5 five door saloon which propelled a great many motorists to have a BMW on their Driveways across Zee UK, much like Audi today, but not when the A2 was built and many many original buyers sold them for there obvious short comings , ride quality,blind spot, ect,ect ect and of course Tdi Intercoolers which was not one not even in BMW first ever Diesel 524td voted the best D engine when launched into the BMW e28.

Fsi should have been a similar story to the NSU Ro 80 ****els and the Cowley Crackers which of course had the super reliable HHH Honda engines.

The Acclaim holds the record for the lowest percentage of warranty claims for a BL car. Unlike previous Triumphs, it was assembled at the Pressed Steel Fisher Plant at Cowley Oxford.

Happy Hunting Topsie.

014.jpg

I’ve had a thing for the 2005 535d sport touring since I can remember - just love the amber sidelight strips on the headlights - used to strike fear into my heart as a 17yr old on my Yamaha RS100 running from the traffic police!!!!

280hp and 35mpg is a combination I could get used to.

The repair bills should the turbos fail is something I’d like to avoid though!!!

I have a 535d, but it is only two years old. I used to have a 3 litre petrol E61 (which is the estate model you mention 2004-2010), and I would not recommend it for reliability. Mine had many issues including a rusty tailgate at 4 years old, 3 sets of injectors and fuel pump before 50k miles. Don't do it if you want reliability.
Having said that, my last 2012 530d was super reliable, with not one single issue over two and a half years.

Edit... the 535d will scare the life out of you after an A2.

Back