Crackling radio

Coolpix

Hi everyone 2001 tdi a2 when you put on heated rear window crackling on radio any ideas??

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I used an FM receiver in my car the heated glass system would distort the the signal very badly - I assumed that it was just a normal thing with the alternator creating a field of distortion through the elements. Have I been living with something faulty all this time?

Hi everyone 2001 tdi a2 when you put on heated rear window crackling on radio any ideas??

Thanks everyone

Hi,

poor radio reception with the rear window heater is on is an indicator that the wiring to the tailgate is starting to fail due to the flexing which happens when the boot is opened and closed.
For the radio, when there is a problem with the main earth cable to the tailgate, switching on the rear window heater causes a voltage drop to the supply at the radio aerial amplifiers in the tailgate and you loose signal.
Other symptoms of tailgate wiring problems include slow / no window demist and the glass break sensor triggering.

The only solution is to renew the wiring between the rear of the roof into the tailgate.

regards

Andrew

Hi,

poor radio reception with the rear window heater is on is an indicator that the wiring to the tailgate is starting to fail due to the flexing which happens when the boot is opened and closed.
For the radio, when there is a problem with the main earth cable to the tailgate, switching on the rear window heater causes a voltage drop to the supply at the radio aerial amplifiers in the tailgate and you loose signal.
Other symptoms of tailgate wiring problems include slow / no window demist and the glass break sensor triggering.

The only solution is to renew the wiring between the rear of the roof into the tailgate.

regards

Andrew

Cheers mate

It's not necessarily the wiring TO the tailgate, it could be the printed wiring on the glass. Part of this matrix of wiring is actually the aerial, hence no little antennae on the outside of the car. When it's frosty next, have a look at the defrost pattern and I'm willing to wager you'll see a break of some sort, meaning that there's a crack in the wire matrix.

It's not necessarily the wiring TO the tailgate, it could be the printed wiring on the glass. Part of this matrix of wiring is actually the aerial, hence no little antennae on the outside of the car. When it's frosty next, have a look at the defrost pattern and I'm willing to wager you'll see a break of some sort, meaning that there's a crack in the wire matrix.

Ok will do

Back