Coil Packs & Spark Plugs - Which make are the best?

AJB

A2OC Donor
Hi All,

Just a quick question. Which Spark Plugs & Coil Packs are the best make for a 1.6 FSI?

Thanks in advance,
Aimee

Hi AJ Audi or Bosch plugs are best they are multi prong type plugs - I really don’t recommend ngk plugs in the Fsi but fine for the 1.4 as vorsprung suggests. Coil packs again Audi (not cheap but good warranty) or Bosch ones from the usual car parts people. Cheap coil packs don’t last long in my experience but the Bosch ones I fitted 4/5 years ago still going well in my Fsi after 80k miles.
Cheers.

Reactions: AJB
1.4 AUA 2001 78,000miles

Replaced my spark plugs and coil pack to try and get cold starting to be more reliable and to hopefully address a reluctance to rev over 4,000rpm.

Changed the plugs the other day from Bosch FR7LDC+ (compatible) to NGK BKUR6ET10 (Audi noted replacement for part number 101000033AA).

This made a noticable difference, and started more easily, but not sure if it is the plug model, or just that they were newer. No idea when last changed, but all plugs were in decent condition.

Today changed the coilpack to a new Bosch F000ZS0210-741
I believe the existing pack is the original. It was Audi branded, and looked as though it had been there for some time (21 years?).

One connector at the pack end was grey, and had some residue, so perhaps had some water ingress at some stage. Cleaned that up, but that may have been my issue, as there were no cracks etc, and never had any mis-fire issues.

New one went on anyway.

Noted the huge difference in weight. The original was 1.071KG, and replacement 0.595kg. It is not clear what is causing that, but the black plastic is different in places.
It makes me concerned about the quality of the replacement. It would be good to know what a genuine new VAG coilpack weighs.

Easy change, and car started on first crank, however I will need to wait for a cold start situation, and a blast on an appropriate road to see if there is any major change. I hope (and expect) there will be.

I don't really want to change the leads just due to cost, although I should. Let's see......

Attachments

• colours.jpeg
    colours.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 21
  • old_weight.jpeg
    old_weight.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 19
  • new_coilpack.jpeg
    new_coilpack.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 22
  • new_weight.jpeg
    new_weight.jpeg