CAN BUS question - HID kits - 2003 a2

Pallasar

Hi guys, I want to upgrade to a HID kit for my headlights, but my mate who will be doing to the install (im crap with electrics) wants to know whether I need a CAN BUS kit, or non CAN BUS...

I have a 2003 sport model, can anyone answer this please ?

Thanks

Hi guys, I want to upgrade to a HID kit for my headlights, but my mate who will be doing to the install (im crap with electrics) wants to know whether I need a CAN BUS kit, or non CAN BUS...

I have a 2003 sport model, can anyone answer this please ?

Thanks

The declaration of LED and HID units as be "CAN BUS compatible" and "not CAN BUS compatible" hasn't really anything to do with the car having a CAN BUS or not. All A2s have CAN busses of some description as they are used to connect the engine ECU to the instruments for example. Later A2s have additional CAN BUS networks for diagnostics and infotainment which is where the difference comes.

The descriptions of the replacement LED and HID assume that if a car is fitted with a full diagnostic CAN BUS network, this means that it must also include electronic units to monitor the state of the bulbs in the lights. CAN BUS = bulb monitoring.

It is whether the car has bulb failure monitoring that actually matters when replacing filament bulbs with different types. This is present in all A2s, regardless of age, if the instruments have the full DIS display.

As you have a sport model, this came with the DIS display as standard so you will have bulb failure monitoring. You will need to ensure that your replacement lights won't trigger the bulb out warning on the dashboard even when they are working correctly.

regards

Andrew

Back