Ex Merc owner saying hello

zilspeed

Way back in the mists of time, I had a chance of a leased car from work.

The A2 hadn't yet been released, so I signed up to a Mercedes A140.

Between ordering and delivery, tha A2 was released and I tried to change, but no deal.

The local Audi dealer couldn't get their hands on an A2 for love nor money and I did 60,000 in an A class instead.

Fast forward I've just sold my old Golf GTI and bought a 2002 A2 1.4, so hello !!

Way back in the mists of time, I had a chance of a leased car from work.

The A2 hadn't yet been released, so I signed up to a Mercedes A140.

Between ordering and delivery, tha A2 was released and I tried to change, but no deal.

The local Audi dealer couldn't get their hands on an A2 for love nor money and I did 60,000 in an A class instead.

Fast forward I've just sold my old Golf GTI and bought a 2002 A2 1.4, so hello !!

Hello,

I am sure that you will be pleased.

My wife TRIED to swap the other way, our 2001 was 5 years old and I had not really "discovered" just how good the A2 was and so I decided to "upgrade" her car to an A Class Merc.

Within six months she decided that it was no upgrade and managed to persuade me to sell the 6 month old A class and get her another A2.

She is not "into" cars at all, but she won't drive anything else now.

By the way, there is no cure for the A2 addiction that you are going to experience!!!

WELCOME

Steve B

It seems a quality item, love it so far.

One or two small issues, but I'll get them fixed.
Corrosion to the alloys and some rather dead front windows.

I'll be looking up comfort control units, I suspect.
Locking works, window control light up, windows resolutely unresponsive.

All part of the fun.

It seems a quality item, love it so far.

One or two small issues, but I'll get them fixed.
Corrosion to the alloys and some rather dead front windows.

I'll be looking up comfort control units, I suspect.
Locking works, window control light up, windows resolutely unresponsive.

All part of the fun.

This probably won't work, but it is a no cost option.#

Disconnect the battery, touch the positive and negative battery leads together (just to drain any residual current.

Wait a couple of minutes, reconnect the leads and try again.

Believe it or not this has been known to work, but it is a longshot.

Steve B

I did this earlier, but only for a count of 10 secs, and didn't touch the lead together.

Will try this shortly.

I'm also looking to do a scan on it too, obviously ;-)

I had only checked the fuses in so far as what they are.
The doors are still live and I understand that it's a fuse for the whole door rather than just the windows ?

I had only checked the fuses in so far as what they are.
The doors are still live and I understand that it's a fuse for the whole door rather than just the windows ?

have a look at the fuse location diagram I attached, The lights are very low current drain and would not be on the same fuse as a large drain item such as a window motor.

Try fuses 39 and 41.

You can then try something that might indicate if it is the switches or not (another longshot) When you unlock the doors with the key fob keep the unlock button pressed for several seconds. On most A2s that will cause the windows to come down,. Holding the lock button on for a few seconds should close the windows.

It that works then your door window switches and / or wiring connectors are a possible cause.

Have a play around with the connectors in the A pillar too.

Steve B

Last edited:
have a look at the fuse location diagram I attached, The lights are very low current drain and would not be on the same fuse as a large drain item such as a window motor.

Try fuses 39 and 41.

You can then try something that might indicate if it is the switches or not (another longshot) When you unlock the doors with the key fob keep the unlock button pressed for several seconds. On most A2s that will cause the windows to come down,. Holding the lock button on for a few seconds should close the windows.

It that works then your door window switches and / or wiring connectors are a possible cause.

Have a play around with the connectors in the A pillar too.

Steve B

Fuses all good ;-)

Windows still dead.

Will check generally wring condition to both doors at A pillars.

I only found out about the 'remote windows up or down with a long press' feature by accident after a couple of years of ownership! Scared the biscuits out of me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had that in my Passat B6, which had it's own load of ghosts in the machinery.

It was a DSG, which thankfully never broke.

Ignition key was a whole load of different trouble.

My passenger window didn’t work - the motor had died. Took about 20 mins to replace and most of that was moaning about the staining on the bottom of the door card that i’d never noticed before. It was a cheap thing to try once I’d ruled out fuse and switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My passenger window didn’t work - the motor had died. Took about 20 mins to replace and most of that was moaning about the staining on the bottom of the door card that i’d never noticed before. It was a cheap thing to try once I’d ruled out fuse and switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'd better actually check the voltage to the motors too then !

How novel, an old fashioned fault !

One of the thinks I REALLY like about the A2 is that the electrics are not that complicated.
This means that some of the things that need fixing are actually mechanical :)

Back