A2s in Unusual Positions

Here's a blast from the past, former member Rob Earl's first A2 which was clipped by a drunk driver and flipped on a roundabout:

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 15.53.56.png

There were a series of photos on the old servers - not sure that they've been transferred across. Sadly, the car was written off, despite no structural damage, but Rob and family were fine.

It is encouraging to see just how well the A2 stands up to these type of crashes, from a safety aspect at least.

Steve B

From the glass trail it looks to have slid along upside down for a fair bit after the flip! Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recently had cause to look for a photo of the underside of the A2 and came across quite a few crashes.

Did you see this http://www.flickriver.com/photos/barrowfordred/tags/audia2/ About 8 photos of a German A2 on it's side including one showing the underneath.

I also have a photo of an A2 that crashed through a bridge parapet and fell about 60 ft (20m) into a river. Front, bonnet, windscreen and tailgate all damaged but the body is intact. Not posting due to possible copyright issues. Cannot not find it via google.

Did you see this http://www.flickriver.com/photos/barrowfordred/tags/audia2/ About 8 photos of a German A2 on it's side including one showing the underneath.

I also have a photo of an A2 that crashed through a bridge parapet and fell about 60 ft (20m) into a river. Front, bonnet, windscreen and tailgate all damaged but the body is intact. Not posting due to possible copyright issues. Cannot not find it via google.

I would be furious if that was my car; the way they picked it up. I reckon the recovery will have caused more damage than the wall, if I was not too busy hiding my head under a bolder. .

I have seen that incident Alan - used a photo from it in a recent post to illustrate the proper jacking and propping points. The A2 does seem to have a really robust passenger cell that stands up well to these sorts of incidents. Wouldn't want to try it out for myself though.

The Smart car has a passenger cage type of design which looks pretty similar to the space frame concept. The body panels are not structural at all.
There is a video of a Smart being remote driven into a solid crash barrier at 70mph and the doors still open and close and there is very minimal deformation. The people would have died of course - massive internal damage from deceleration forces - but not because a bit of car went through them. Worth a watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back