what look for?

Gritty

Going to look at a tdi this afternoon

Any advice on what i should be looking out for please? i know the basic checks and ive done hpi check all clear there.

tdi 75

Last 3 ive looked at have been very scruffy and none have had the cambelt water pump done.

I have been having a good look around when viewing car and paper work but any further help always appreciated.

I'll list down the things I wished I had noticed when I got mine two months ago:

1. Gear linkages (notchy shifting means water ingress into the selector tower, and probably into gearbox)
2. Does the temperature gauge reach 90 deg.?
3. Relating to 1, do reverse lights come on? Mine had a sticky reverse switch and the seller removed(!) the reverse lights because they were on all the time, I presume.

Those are some of the bigger things I suppose. There's always the little things: lights, corroded number plate light screws, etc. And look for small bumps in the front/rear bumpers indicating the bumper was "pushed in" for whatever reason.

Good luck!

Any advice on what i should be looking out for please? i know the basic checks and ive done hpi check all clear there.

tdi 75

Last 3 ive looked at have been very scruffy and none have had the cambelt water pump done.

I have been having a good look around when viewing car and paper work but any further help always appreciated.

thanks i will look.

Can anyone tell me what the arrow in the green circle means on my greyed out envelope ?? have i done some thing wrong?

This one?

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 13.59.32.png

I think it just means that you've written something something in that thread.

thanks i will look.

Can anyone tell me what the arrow in the green circle means on my greyed out envelope ?? have i done some thing wrong?

Oh sorry think Ive done that a few times since joining will try harder next time though:eek:

tdi 75

What price are they looking for ?

Mot'd ?

1.4tdi on Gumtree silver oss 109k se with sports interior 5 owners, Advertised for £1250

Saw it earlier good body work but rear n s arch scratched and lower plastic sill split n s front behind front wheel runs ok but noticed there was a very low amount of coolant in the reservoir.

MOT with no adviseries but s.h. paperwork consisted on old MOTs and one bill for £39 oil change "that was the service history!

On the one hand I could buy a cheap car ie £500 to £1000 with no service history and then get it serviced, or I spend 2K 2.5k with history and get some piece of mind? what did you do?

1.4tdi on Gumtree silver oss 109k se with sports interior 5 owners, Advertised for £1250

Saw it earlier good body work but rear n s arch scratched and lower plastic sill split n s front behind front wheel runs ok but noticed there was a very low amount of coolant in the reservoir.

MOT with no adviseries but s.h. paperwork consisted on old MOTs and one bill for £39 oil change "that was the service history!

On the one hand I could buy a cheap car ie £500 to £1000 with no service history and then get it serviced, or I spend 2K 2.5k with history and get some piece of mind? what did you do?

I bought a 100 pound car with no mot as a non runner , flat battery and problem with exhaust hanging down, I just took a chance on it and plan to try and do it up myself and see how it goes.

I think I found the car you're looking at on Gumtree , it looks in quite good condition from the photo's, Is there any mechanics you know who could give it a look over ? And is it possible for you to test drive the A2 ?

How low was the coolant below the minimum level or near it ?

I had a look at the mot history online and noticed its only done about 2k miles since 2016.

yeah very nice, and only 100 pounds, bargain!

This car i saw was ok and its got a an MOT so its road worthy till next year, the coolant level was well down so could be a leek or loose pipe or just needs topping up.

I think ill investigate AA vehicle inspection as I dont know any mechanics.

If i could pick up a car for around the 500 quid mark then yes its probably worth buying then like you doing it up over a period of time

Back