Chorus II Install

ca2n

A2OC Donor
Today I fitted a Chorus II headunit that I recently purchased. It was replacing an aftermarket Sony headunit. I removed the Sony headunit to find the adapter harness to make the Sony unit work:

IMG_20171105_100508.jpg

Not knowing where to start, I disconnected everything that I thought was irrelevant for the Chorus. What was left was only four connectors from the original wiring harness. Although there were signs of wire cutting in some of those wires I went ahead and plugged all four connectors into the back of the Chorus and hoped for the best:

IMG_20171105_121527.jpg

And the result (after entering unlock code):

IMG_20171105_121146.jpg

Akon's "Lonely" happened to be on the radio and I was rather impressed by the tone! Nice, deep bass with mids and highs that were quite clear too.

So, I guess, job done? Well, I was wondering about a few things and would appreciate some advice:

1. There is no sound coming from the rear speakers (assuming I have rear speakers, I haven't checked. But there is a Blaupunkt amplifier under the driver's floor?). I don't mind having only the front speakers playing as I prefer the sound staging anyway, but am curious to know if the rear speakers could be made to work.

2. On the red connector in the second picture, there is only one wire connected to it. If I read the wiring diagram correctly it was for Tel. Mute? Is that relevant?

3. Regarding the wire splicing work left behind, should I have a go at redoing them? I don't want short circuits, etc. from them in the future. All the spliced wires were directed to the bottom black connector; wires into the brown speaker connector were not spliced, neither were any going into the top black connector.

4. On the wiring diagram on the Chorus unit, a 7.5 A fuse should be fitted; on my unit a 5 A was fitted. Lower should still be fine, I think?

5. How similar (or otherwise) is the operation of the Chorus II compared to the Concert II? Only a Concert II manual is in the document folder given to me by the previous owner.

Appreciate any advice. Might consider an AUX input to the Chorus down the line!

these pictures have just helped me do the exact same so thank you.

ive retrofitted a chorus tape stereo in place of an nfc / bluetooth sony unit - a definite downgrade but looks so much better oem!

drew

Back