wi-fi reversing camera and dash cam recomendations/experience.

Adrian888

A2OC Donor
Anyone have a wif-fi reversing camera? Its not for the A2 but of general interest and for my Passat and SWMBO next car. test driving so many cars of late with reversing cameras and using my sons Cayenne with one is spoiling me.... Ideally one which links to an iphone would be great. also must get a dash cam with front/rear cameras. There appears to be some good deals on amazon these days, again any comments welcome!

I got a dash cam with front and rear cameras which uses a local WiFi to connect to your device. It was cheap but I am considering using a fixed android phone as a rear view camera option when needed. The thread is ‘hidden dash cam’.

I think Depronman had done something maybe a bit more with his car so will likely be along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted a double head head unit (Chinese ebay purchase for £58 included the head unit, and a wired reversing camera, the head unit does satnav, BT, FM Radio, Micro SD and USB Pen drive sockets for pictures, films and music)
The camera is currently mounted in a custom designed and 3D printed mount which sits on top of the tail gate trim with the camera looking out of the tail gate glass just under the spoiler
The wires is routed through the gator between the head lining/ D pillar and the tailgate on the LH side, it picks power up from the reversing light on the LH light cluster and the cable then goes over the rear wheel arch and along the sill, behind the clove box to the head unit. a Couple of hours tops to install it

As soon as revers is engaged the camera is powered, this sets the head unit to rear view camera automatically and mutes the audio, you then get a crystal clear view of the rear of the car and the guide lines green/yellow/red for distance judging

I can back up to another car such that I get that close that the tail gate will not open on the A2 but I never hit the other car, the only issue was rain on the tail gate, but a application of rainX sorted that
I have to say that the camera and head unit have been excellent quality and once fitted in the A2 give as near an OEM look as it is possible to get, it just looks like the RNS-H that Audi have not yet built :)

there are some pictures of it on the A2OC forum, from around Feb 2017

Cheers,

I have read the above info with interest as it is something I am considering as it is Dawn that drives it most of the time. She does care in the community in Cornwall and she has t get into some very tight spaces and doesn't have parking sensors or anything fitted at the moment.

Ther is currently a single din fitting, how easy is this to change for a double din and install the system? Also, can you give me the details of the unit that you bought and your review of it?

Thanks.

7021G is the head unit
I paid £58 delivered for the head unit, the camera was an extra £5 or £6 and came with all the wiring which is needed

The head unit as been in the A2 for 10 months and as been faultless, as is the camera
I was not expecting it to be THIS good for so little money. Yes it does have the odd chinesism such as the volume control only controls the current device, so if you have the radio/MP3/BT etc playing at a certain volume and then change the display to the SatNav whilst it is on Satnav display the volume control controls the satnav voice volume and not the music - not a problem unless you want to turn the music down in which case you need to change the display away from the satnav (it keeps running in the back ground). However it is NOT a major problem and easy to live with. The touch screen is simple and easy to use, the BT works perfectly for Music however the hands free is not the best as the mic is too far away from the drivers mouth and in the wrong location (a mic on wire would have been much better)

You cannot fit the 2Din head unit in to a single Din dash, so you will need to change the dash over to a 2 din dash. This is not a simple or quick job, I have done it twice now, both times with someone else who has done it before. The second time was with timmus who as done dozens of dash swaps, but even then it is a 5 to 6 hour job with 2 people at it

There are some single Din head units with a pop out display, however the display covers the cup holders and most if not all of the air vent

Cheers,

I think A2steve has such a single dub pop up device on his thread. There were pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinky - you are indeed correct and about £45 if memory serves

Thanks for the info. It's a bummer that it is hard to change to a 2 din layout. I will have to look at a single din option but I really liked the look of the 2 din. I'll have to search the forums to see a picture of the 2 din. It is mainly for the reversing camera option for Dawn and the Satnav will save her having to use a seperate unit stuck to the windsreen.

Thanks for the info. It's a bummer that it is hard to change to a 2 din layout. I will have to look at a single din option but I really liked the look of the 2 din. I'll have to search the forums to see a picture of the 2 din. It is mainly for the reversing camera option for Dawn and the Satnav will save her having to use a seperate unit stuck to the windsreen.

the only solution that suited the look that I wanted (as near to OEM as possible, but with modern functionality) was to change the dash for a 2din dash. Yes its a lot of work, but once it is done the end result is exactly what I wanted.
Had I gone down the single din pop out screen route it would have grated on me every time I looked at it, and I just know I would have ended up do the 2din dash swap in the end

If you only really want the reversing camera there are option were by the display is part of the rear view mirror, or another idea is a separate 4.5" screen that could be mounted in front of the ash tray / cubby hole
Cheers,
Paul

Back