leather restoration

cheechy

A2OC Donor
Just a shout out to anyone who may have attempted this.

I'm contemplating buying a kit from furniture clinic to restore. Not cheap at 100 quid but it does include an airbrush.

Doing this brings with it the option of changing the actual leather colour but as the seat bases in my car are red I'm thinking the options are limited!

If no one else has tried them I'll post up. Saying that I'm fairly sure I won't attempt this now until next year
I need a rest from fixing this bloody car!! :)

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I did read this thread before and agree that the FC product line looks good. I too am a gliptones fan but the conditioner really is a bit old school for modern leather.... But the cleaner is still very good.

Rather than clean I'm included to look at competitive restoring using colour dye and fillers. A lot of work but it'll make the seats look almost new again if I get it right.

Well that's the theory anyways :)

I was looking at at this as an option. The airbrush came with a propellant can to drive it but I actually managed to get a good mini compressor off of thebay for £28. Bargain price and I figured it would be cheaper than all the propellant tins and ideal for future small patch spray painting on the car too. Maybe worth a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at at this as an option. The airbrush came with a propellant can to drive it but I actually managed to get a good mini compressor off of thebay for £28. Bargain price and I figured it would be cheaper than all the propellant tins and ideal for future small patch spray painting on the car too. Maybe worth a look.

Ooo sounds like some borrowing potential there. :)

If you are interested we could always help each other or on this, more to build confidence than anything if I'm honest...

Ooo sounds like some borrowing potential there. :)

If you are interested we could always help each other or on this, more to build confidence than anything if I'm honest...

Quite possibly.

I got it for the leather seat project but since I ended up getting a set of split rears didn’t need it. My plan is now to use it as a much more controllable spray paint applied for returning my ‘van and hopefully the paint chips on my A2.

It’s pretty blooming heavy though so posting it may not be an option - it was £12 for p&p when I bought it!

If you wanna shot send me a PM so we don’t clutter the fellas thread here.

And see how respectful I am?

I did have a go with the compressor and watched a bit of YouTube to check it out - looks like it should be a lot more manageable for small blending jobs versus rattle cans which i don’t think would give the same pressure or consistency of spray at lower airflow and with thicker paints.

The leather paint I was looking at was dark grey over light grey with a satin sealing type layer but I’ve watched videos with white/cream over red in three or four coats.

You are welcome to a loan for a wee while to give it a go - just bring it back cleaned and with a full tank...

Just a shout out to anyone who may have attempted this.

I'm contemplating buying a kit from furniture clinic to restore. Not cheap at 100 quid but it does include an airbrush.

Doing this brings with it the option of changing the actual leather colour but as the seat bases in my car are red I'm thinking the options are limited!

If no one else has tried them I'll post up. Saying that I'm fairly sure I won't attempt this now until next year
I need a rest from fixing this bloody car!! :)

For me Furniture clinic really do provide excellent products so i'll be looking forward to see how you get along with the big task of colouring your leather seats.The Gliptone cleaner is good but slow compared to the FC cleaner.

Last edited:
For me Furniture clinic really do provide excellent products so i'll be looking forward to see how you get along with the big task of colouring your leather seats.The Gliptone cleaner is good but slow compared to the FC cleaner.

On the gliptones - I've mixed it 50/50 with distilled water and applied with a soft brush and it cleans the leather up a treat. I mean much better than when its applied neat.

On the gliptones - I've mixed it 50/50 with distilled water and applied with a soft brush and it cleans the leather up a treat. I mean much better than when its applied neat.

The water is the key to speeding it up, using Gliptone and my toothbrush when dipped in clean water carried some over and it spreads easier for sure, still prefer the FC cleaner though.

Back