Install cables for interior heater

ROKJ

Anyone know the best spot for going through the bulkhead (?) with the cable for interior heater? Also if anyone have some tips where to place the exterior power outlet and where to draw the cables to the interior? (Sorry for my english, it's working progress...). The plan is to install cables and outlets from DEFA Warmup

Have you looked at this thread:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?23666-Engine-heater

May be worth contacting some of the people who posted there as to your exact requirements - may even be in your native language too!

Don't apologise for your English - it's far better than most British people's Swedish!!

Thanks for the tip on the thread, although the discussion was primarily about the performance of block/engine heaters. I did PM one of the guys though..
So the question still remains at this point where to enter through the bulkhead and make a clean installation of the cable in the engine compartment. Any more ideas or info? =) If this is not covered in any thread (I've done some searching with no result), I might make a How To for us in the northern area

There's 3 main areas where cables pass into the cabin from the engine bay. One either side of the bulkhead (requiring dash removal) and also there's a conduit running under the car from the ECU area to the engine bay. This could be the best and easiest route for you. If you look at the bulkhead from the engine bay, with a torch, you can just about make out the cable route through as they're behind the suspension strut tops. I had trouble with the nearside (Uk car) a few years ago as there was some rubbing which caused some charring and failure of the wiring there.

There's 3 main areas where cables pass into the cabin from the engine bay. One either side of the bulkhead (requiring dash removal) and also there's a conduit running under the car from the ECU area to the engine bay. This could be the best and easiest route for you. If you look at the bulkhead from the engine bay, with a torch, you can just about make out the cable route through as they're behind the suspension strut tops. I had trouble with the nearside (Uk car) a few years ago as there was some rubbing which caused some charring and failure of the wiring there.

I would certainly like to avoid dash removal o course, is it the top dash or just underneath that has to be removed?
About that conduit, where does it enter the interior? I don't know where the ECU on these cars is located (new owner) but the heater socket must be placed under the glove compartment at pass. front side. And the DEFA cable isn't precisely cheap...

No, to get to the bulkhead area where the cables pass through will mean the removal of the whole dash. The ECU is under the passenger footwell compartment (UK cars, so driver's side on left hand drive cars). The conduit from the engine bay enters here and there are some thick cables for battery power which pass along this area, so you should find a way to pass the DEFA cable.

Back