1.4 tdi Alternator Tensioner Pulley Battery drain

froggy

I’m pretty sure I have an alternator tensioner issue as after standing overnight the engine barely cranks let alone starts and I’ve had chatter noise from that area when the engine is cold that is gradually getting worse.

I thought it might be the alternator clutch pulley but this looked fine. I managed to get hold of a great little device that has mini jump leads on a portable battery (charges phones too!) this fires the engine up straight away. So a multi meter will tell me if the battery and alternator are ok but I’m fairly sure the tensioner should not look like white plastic with a tiny thread of black left!

I need to find the right part number for a replacement pulley or (depending on cost) a complete belt kit if anyone can help - its an 02 plate so AMF engine I think?

I couldn’t get a picture of the probably ruined pulley but here is a quick youtube vid of the noise - does anyone have experience of this noise to confirm or quash my theory?

https://youtu.be/lLKN-YqXxCM

hello,
i had the same problem as yours a few months ago, i took the belt off and spun the alternator pulley and it made crunch/crackle noise indicating the bearing pack in, also i replace the tensioner at the same time.To confirm your theory, that noise your hearing is the alternator clutch bearing pack in and will need changing asap!, worth checking eurocarpart and gsf as they have good discount codes this weekend. https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/electrical-lighting/alternator/alternator-freewheel-clutch

Just to add multi meter showed 14v at the alternator and 12.71 at the battery so suspected starter motor on the way out. No squeal but a second or two delay before the engine fired up since I bought the car made me suspect it as an issue. So as well as a clutch pulley, need to do a service and find an undertray with the webasto connection £££££££ At least it’s not Christmas or anything or else I’d be a bit gutted. Oh wait......

Just to add multi meter showed 14v at the alternator and 12.71 at the battery so suspected starter motor on the way out. No squeal but a second or two delay before the engine fired up since I bought the car made me suspect it as an issue. So as well as a clutch pulley, need to do a service and find an undertray with the webasto connection £££££££ At least it’s not Christmas or anything or else I’d be a bit gutted. Oh wait......

All undertrays that I have seen have the hole and screw holes for the Webasto exhaust, so they are no more difficult or expensive that any others.

Secondhand is an option but they are bulky and flimsy and so not easy to courier safely.

As for the starter motor, the earth strap that goes from iot to the cross piece to the right of the gearbox area is one to remove, clean and replace.

Steve B

To echo steve advice, if you can see elements of rust / dried water rust around where the starter motor is bolted to the engine (mating surfaces) , take the motor off and clean the surface for good contact

I think it's the exhaust fitting that's being referred to by Froggy, part 6 here:

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 00.04.57.png

All under trays have the appropriate holes in place, but a lot of the exhausts from Webasto units have the end piece missing, the flange that attaches to the undertray via 3 screws and then to the flexi pipe with a jubilee clip.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, Ben superb find that’s nearly half the price of Euro car parts thank you! The earth strap is definitely a possibility if the starter is good so thanks to Steve for that too. I didn’t realise all undertrays had the cut out I’ve found a compatible part on ebay for £50 delivered but as Steve says couriers can be hit and miss so will have to think about that. A reply from Skipton01 (Mike if I remember correctly?!) I am honoured! I do have the exhaust piece off the old undertray (which I had to rescue from a pile of rubble from the seller’s extension works:confused:) but it’s impossible to remove as the screws/bolts have rusted solid. Maybe a dremel is required. Does anybody know what size and type replacements are required? Many thanks again everyone :eek:

Rob.

Just to finish this off my battery was completely shot, once out the car it failed every test. So new Exide battery installed, new alternator pulley, new tensioner (stupidly kept the old belt as it looked great but squeaks when cold now due to being stretched :( ) starter motor good but cable to it looked a bit chewed so will need to solder this. And the old girl fires up before I’ve finished turning the key! Quailty oil and fuel filter fitted feels like a different car now. Next up cambelt waterpump undertray, steering rack, G263 sensor and brakes front and rear :rolleyes: Good job I love my A2!

Just to finish this off my battery was completely shot, once out the car it failed every test. So new Exide battery installed, new alternator pulley, new tensioner (stupidly kept the old belt as it looked great but squeaks when cold now due to being stretched :( ) starter motor good but cable to it looked a bit chewed so will need to solder this. And the old girl fires up before I’ve finished turning the key! Quailty oil and fuel filter fitted feels like a different car now. Next up cambelt waterpump undertray, steering rack, G263 sensor and brakes front and rear :rolleyes: Good job I love my A2!
glad to hear you got your car back on the road mate

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Back