Information FSI coolant pipe "Y" pieces

Birchall

Dick Chown Award 2016
Hi,

I had a FSI with broken "Y" pieces (in the pipework that goes from the engine to the top of coolant tank)

This is quite a common weak spot and what was left of the old ones was literally crumbling when I tried to get the remnants out of the pipe.

I have seen some people using brass Y pieces as a replacement and so I bought a couple.

If you buy the ones that are shown as 8mm - 5/16" the fit perfectly and should last a lifetime.

I bought mine from eBay, there are several sellers including some very cheap ones from China.

This is the one I bought

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-3-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

As I say they fit perfectly, I am only fitting these to temporarily be able to fire up the engine and get it to full temperature because it is in my "Breaker" Damaged front and year and been standing for two years.

Here is one in place (Ignore the jubilee clips, they come with the Y piece and as I say this is a temporary fitment or I would have replaced the original "spring clips", also I haven't pushed them all the way home or they would look very tidy and OEM).

Steve B

IMG_1024.jpg

They look good steve and should outlast the plastic ones. Shame they don't do a brass rear pipe piece !

Back