Tdi Earth Cable Removal

Kashew

With the colder mornings my A2 is very slow in cranking over and I think the issue maybe to do with the earth. I have removed the headlamp to gain easier access to the 13mm nut but unable to remove it. I have a basic tool kit and spanners but unable to get enough leverage to loosen the nut. Does anyone know a suitable tool to use or any tips on removing the nut would be appreciated.

With the colder mornings my A2 is very slow in cranking over and I think the issue maybe to do with the earth. I have removed the headlamp to gain easier access to the 13mm nut but unable to remove it. I have a basic tool kit and spanners but unable to get enough leverage to loosen the nut. Does anyone know a suitable tool to use or any tips on removing the nut would be appreciated.

if you don't have a socket set and ratchet it is not easy.

If your spanners have a ring one end and an open ended the other end you can try the old trick of putting the ring end on the bolt, then use another (next size up?) ring spanner and put the ring end into the jaws of the open end of the spanner that is on the nut and if you put it in the right way it will act as a lever and perhaps give you that little but extra leverage.
Remember that if the bolt is screwed in from the back with the thread facing you you need to turn it clockwise as you look at it (I known you probably know that but it can be confusing when the bolt is screwed in towards you?

I hope this helps, I am not sure what else you can do if you don't have a socket set (even then the clearance is not great for the ratchet.

Steve B

Last edited:
Spot on there Birchall,it is a bit fiddly. Also, check the earth strap on the battery connection, I had the same problem and noticed that the plastic housing was showing signs of melting, I checked the connections and hey presto no more red hot connection and has been fine ever since, might be worth checking that one first.

If your battery is strong and your starter cranks slowly and virtually stops mid crank, then manages to turn engine enough to start it, then its likely to be time for a new starter motor. I had this since I had my Scrappy (my car) and recently it totally failed with a strong smell of burning! changed a new starter motor (also checked, cleaned earth cable both ends) and it whizzes up engine 'very' eagerly as never before! happy days :)

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fhl
The earth strap check is free and should be done before considering a new starter, but as Sarge says it MIGHT need one, but you will know if you fix the earth and the starter doesn't improve.

If you are struggling to undo that nut then I would suggest that you use a jump lead with one end connected to a very good earth and the other end clamped to the starter.

If this cures the problem then it is worth struggling with the earth connection!

Steve B

Back