Squeaks rattles from the dash

mac911rs4

Ok, so the cars begging to be the part, thanks to Tom and Jeremy, now after more info from any experts out there.....

Since we had the car (two weeks) my biggest bug bear is that of squeaks etc from the dashboard, more so drivers side behind the steering wheel. It has at some stage, i'm sure, been taken apart or something alike and not been fixed back correctly as the sound that comes from it when going along bumpy roads is insane. We've had one before and we no noise, so somethings loose etc...

Is there any A2 experts out there, ideally close to Gravesend, Kent, or elsewhere who's pretty clued up on dash fixings points that could take a look. Happy to pay for anyones time as i want this car to be a keeper for our son....or me for that matter.
Thanks in advance, cheers, M

Can you tell if it's coming from the fairing above the clocks or more towards the windscreen?
My dash had been removed at some point and then not seated correctly so it sat high on the driver's side and squeaked. I've also reinstalled the clock's fairing and over-tightened the bolts which caused it to squeak; see if it's the same squeak by gently moving the fairing by hand.
The dash is a bigger job but there's countless threads to help and the fairing is 100% straightforward to remove and slacken any bolts if needs be.

Most certainly more toward the windscreen, not the physical dash itself.....I'll try to track the threads...many thanks for the response, cheers, M
Can you tell if it's coming from the fairing above the clocks or more towards the windscreen?
My dash had been removed at some point and then not seated correctly so it sat high on the driver's side and squeaked. I've also reinstalled the clock's fairing and over-tightened the bolts which caused it to squeak; see if it's the same squeak by gently moving the fairing by hand.
The dash is a bigger job but there's countless threads to help and the fairing is 100% straightforward to remove and slacken any bolts if needs be.

Most certainly more toward the windscreen, not the physical dash itself.....I'll try to track the threads...many thanks for the response, cheers, M

If your bonnet is rattling in either corner it can make a similar noise.

Simple to check if it is that. Just clench your fist and GENTLY thump the rear corners of the bonnet.

If they are silent then it is not that. But you MIGHT hear the rattle you are talking about

But an easy and free check, to eliminate that.

Steve B

Hi Steve, many thanks, but it is the plastic that leads to the windscreen and possibly something not correctly fixed or as suggested, overly fixed, so poorly done, sounds dreadful....

If your bonnet is rattling in either corner it can make a similar noise.

Simple to check if it is that. Just clench your fist and GENTLY thump the rear corners of the bonnet.

If they are silent then it is not that. But you MIGHT hear the rattle you are talking about

But an easy and free check, to eliminate that.

Steve B

The whole dash assembly locates into 3 rectangular holes along the bottom of the windscreen and these have rubber liners which are specifically there to stop squeaks. Locating all 3 of these at the same time as well as feeding the sun sensor back through is a real challenge and it's probable that in your case, something is out of line, or the rubber liner is missing. If you can press on the dash where it meets the screen, and it moves, then this will be the issue.

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 23.28.58.jpg

This photo of my A2 was taken when I was tracing a wiring fault. There's one of the locating holes shown, marked with the arrow.

Heart attack photo......think I’d need brandy before tackling that !!

The whole dash assembly locates into 3 rectangular holes along the bottom of the windscreen and these have rubber liners which are specifically there to stop squeaks. Locating all 3 of these at the same time as well as feeding the sun sensor back through is a real challenge and it's probable that in your case, something is out of line, or the rubber liner is missing. If you can press on the dash where it meets the screen, and it moves, then this will be the issue.

View attachment 32285

This photo of my A2 was taken when I was tracing a wiring fault. There's one of the locating holes shown, marked with the arrow.

That is a hell of a photo Mike!

I recently had a rattle and squeak from my dashboard area and after finally getting to my limit I pulled into a car park for an investigation. I EVENTUALLY found that a micro usb keyring had slipped down my dashboard and wedged itself between screen and plastic. The rattle was the little split ring on the keyring and the squeak was it being pushed against the glass. It was wonderful to get it out but also tricky - no room to move that close to the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it looks scary, but it was necessary to sort out the wiring which had been installed badly from the factory All done and dusted in 4 days over the Xmas period and not a peep out of the loom since.

With all these things, methodical working and not panicking is the key.

Back