Chat Why do you drive an A2?

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
We all have a soft spot for our little aluminium friends, but i'd like to hear why you chose to drive an A2 over any other car?

My main reasons are:

1. I love the longetivity of the model. The idea that I could still be using it in 20 years time. With today's throw away society the little A2 goes against the grain.

2. You actually feel like you are driving the car as apposed to being a spectator like you are in many modern cars.

Over to you

1. Usually prefer older cars

2. Because it is a small car with a sense of quality

3. Because it is ahead of its time and built in aluminium

4. Because it is reliable and economical

5. Because it has good performance for modern road conditions

6. Because it is the non-obvious choice

7. Longevity, and green reasons - I'm thinking about keeping it for decades and installing an electric drivetrain

When I first saw the TV ad of the A2 inside the London Eye, I thought, that’s cool! I want one of them…… when they’re much older and cheaper!
Didn’t know much about the car and for several years didn’t really take much notice of them.

Fast forward a few years and when it was time to replace my Peugeot 306 dTurbo (sorry!) I remembered the A2.
Managed to find a well maintained one at a local garage; 51 plate Tdi75 SE in Silver.
It was a great car and I covered almost 100,000 miles in it, relatively trouble-free.

It was during the time of it’s ownership (2006-2014) that I discovered the A2OC, and my appreciation of the car through ownership was enhanced by the tremendous knowledge base on the forum.

We’re now on our second A2, and despite some BIG bills early in ownership (I fell out of love with it for a short while) I wouldn’t want to part with it – even the wife is an ardent A2-lover now!

In summary, I drive an A2 because:
1 – It won’t rust
2 – It doesn’t look like any other car
3 – Perfect size for our small driveway - and all our clobber when we go on holiday (including bikes etc - bench seat out!)
4 – Great style and well spec’d; feels like a bigger car
5 – Ridiculously cheap road tax (for diesels, anyway) and great MPG!

My wife wanted something much smaller than her Q7 etron company car to get around the narrow lanes locally and use as a 'dog crate' and was more than happy with the 'interesting old school' A2. I just enjoy the go kart like handling and sheer practicality, reminds me of my old Mk1 Golf Gti's.

I was on a tight budget for a car. I didn't actually need one for work, etc. but more for leisure and taking the family out on weekends. On AutoTrader I could filter anything that could be taxed for less than £30 a year. The typical Meganes, C3s, Micras etc. popped up (yawn, :p); then I saw the A2! So, I started reading up a bit on it. And, the rest is history.

1. Aluminium build (and all of its benefits)
2. £30/year tax
3. Great MPG
4. The style
5. 195 Nm (TDI)
(6. Those 17" Sport alloys on that small body!)

But what truly sealed the deal for me was the A2OC community. I dare say, if it weren't for this community, I probably would have bought something else 3 months ago!

Always wanted an A2 from when they were first launched. Never thought I would have one. Then a White Van Man slammed into the back of my Corsa Diesel at at least 30 mph, when I was stationary at the back of a line of 3 cars unable to pass one waiting to turn right. Don’ t think he even braked ! Too busy looking at his delivery notes, or mobile phone. Rammed me into the car in front with domino effect. All the others drove away. Corsa was written off. Bought the ex demo A2 1.4 SE Petrol within the week. 9,000 Miles, 12 Months old. Been a great car. Both kids learned to drive in it. 110,000 Miles now. I always say it feels more like driving an old VW Beetle than anything else I have driven. It makes a great Van. Took the 1966 Beetle Engine complete in the Engine rebuilder in the A2. Took our last Great Dane in the back of it. Not tried the current Great Dane in there yet but plan to try him soon.

Last edited:
To me it is more about the things that don't "stand out" in a A2 than those that do. It is not an exceptional car really, but that is what makes it exceptional (if you know what I mean?)
Yes it drives REALLY nicely (ok a firm ride, but I like that anyway) the steering is light but responsive, the brakes have plenty of feel and are predicable, the gearbox feels right, the reliability, the quirkiness, the build quality, the fact that it keeps up with modern traffic etc etc etc.

But as I say I can get in the car and just enjoy the drive without having to think about anything, it just does what I want it to, VERY well.

It is extremely difficult to put into words isn't it. The reasoning above simply doesn't make sense I guess, but that is another reason I like the A2, it is impossible to describe why I like it so much.

Steve B

I needed a new car after my time of being able to walk to work. I had a budget of £4000 and I figured I could either get a three year old Cora’s or 206 or I could get an older premium make.
After having a Smart for years I liked the small, clever, compact nature of the car and I liked the Mercedes build quality.
When I searched on Autotrader and filtered for decent MPG and road tax there were a few lamers but the A2 just popped out - it was so much COOLER than the other options. The more I read the more I liked the sound of it but the absolute deal maker? The pop out cup holders! Boom! (Oh, and the lack of rust - ever... )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to say the people above have covered my reasons for liking it,
even thou I have no Great Danes, just a couple of mongrels.
Have three of them and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned.

I`m now on my third A2 tdi,I have tried to move away but was unable to find anything better.
Economical on fuel,road tax and insurance - very cheap to run.
Versatility with the easy folding up or removal of seats to create a huge load space.
Comfortable and reliable on long runs.
Last but not least it is a little bit different.

1. It still looks modern despite being 13 years old
2. It's a mini MPV - I like the high riding position
3. Wont rust so I can keep it a long time
4. Very reliable = low cost of ownership
5. Bit rare, so is a talking point and I can mention it's advanced engineering (for the late 90s)

I bought my A2 as a replacement for the Ford Puma I had - something a bit more economical for my 75 mile a day commute. I hadn't thought about one until I started to follow a 54 plate one on a stretch of my commute (still do and we wave now!). Autotrader that night and one was on the drive not long after.

As a Mechanical Engineer, the aluminium-ness of the space frame appeals to my engineering brain. As well as the lack of body rust.
Costs bobbins to run; What with the reliable MOT pass every year, £30 tax and cheap insurance.
Something a bit different to your usual Euro box. Has a timeless style about it.
The slightly raised seating position is great for the odd time my back decides to hate me.
Converts to a mini van when the Mrs wants to go to Ikea. Always funny to watch people amazed that we get so much in the little body.
60mpg without fail. (did I already mention it's cheap to run?)
Worry free high mileage driving.

What I wish it had:
A rear wiper!

I just removed the rear wiper for my Touran and replaced it a glas-plug. Rear wipers just mess up the window by scratching it (due to all the sand that ends up back there)

A2 looks ugly, but still like it for the ASF that it shares with A8. Also quicker than our Touran, and cost almost nothing to buy, insurance and to drive. Easy to work on! Nice sound as well from the basic stereo as well. Also like the electric heater that push hot air within 30 sec, Webasto just falls apart and no need for heated seats.

most if not all of the already posted reasons, plus I love the look on the faces of the drivers of some rather more expensive Audi and other makes when the A2 is sat on there rear bumper when it actually should have been a dot in their rear view mirror.
A certain S3 drivers face was a picture, after about a mile of up hill dual carriageway from a roundabout at the bottom of the hill, the S3 pulled over to leave the dual carriageway doing the wrong side of the national speed limit, his face was an absolute picture as I cruised past him in my wee A2.
I guess what I'm saying is I like the 'wolf in sheeps clothing' idea

Cheers,

What do you mean UGLY ?

The A2 is the prettiest little car out there !

That’s why A2 drivers, and passengers, are always smiling and wave at other occupants of A2s they see.

Because it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it - and that's a lot of facial action over the past 15 years.

We like the A2 for many of the reasons already mentioned but ...

For us it's such an interesting and beautiful looking car from almost any angle.
Love the fact it's Aluminium and immensely strong and that A8 cachet helps.
Love the fact despite it's size it's built to the same high quality as Audis best.
The 1.4 petrol is a delight to drive, very nimble and light, with superb handling.
When you set the alarm you still look back and want to have another look at it.
The whole package especially on high specced model is so aesthetically pleasing.

Just the fact it's unique and groundbreaking really. We love the A2 and Oliver likes drawing it.:)

Back