Bit of advice please

Draggon

A2OC Donor
Hi all, hope I have the right forum thread for this but need some advice.

The wife was hit this morning while driving the A2.
It was a rear knock from a landrover (at fault) but even though she said it made a loud noise on impact and even jostled the stereo out of the dash I cannot physically see any damage on rear bumper. even the gaps around joins look ok.

Now I know that the bumper can hide a multitude of things behind it after an impact so not sure on best course.

The guy that drove in the back has asked if we can sort out with cash rather than through insurance, which I am not adverse too seeing as the age of the car and some insurers very quick to write off for the smallest thing etc.
But how should I play it?

Whatever happens the only way I will know if any unseen damage is to pay for a garage to remove bumper and take a look...this costs money.

Just not sure and looking for a knowledable steer.
Thanks in advance
Steve

Sorry to hear Steve.

A quick way to get a feel is to remove the plastic black trim piece which is located just behind the chrome trim. You don’t get a good view per se, but you can see the rear impact bar and will see if it has been bent at all. Trim removal is really straightforward - start at one end and pull it upwards.

An insurance company will no doubt write it off regardless.

It depends how much you like the car and therefore want to ensure it stays on the road.

The other option is to claim, have it written off and then buy it back from them, pocketing the difcerence.

Hi all, hope I have the right forum thread for this but need some advice.

The wife was hit this morning while driving the A2.
It was a rear knock from a landrover (at fault) but even though she said it made a loud noise on impact and even jostled the stereo out of the dash I cannot physically see any damage on rear bumper. even the gaps around joins look ok.

Now I know that the bumper can hide a multitude of things behind it after an impact so not sure on best course.

The guy that drove in the back has asked if we can sort out with cash rather than through insurance, which I am not adverse too seeing as the age of the car and some insurers very quick to write off for the smallest thing etc.
But how should I play it?

Whatever happens the only way I will know if any unseen damage is to pay for a garage to remove bumper and take a look...this costs money.

Just not sure and looking for a knowledable steer.
Thanks in advance
Steve

I would suggest removing the bumper to inspect the rear for hidden damage. If you can’t do this yourself then it should take a garage about an hour to remove and refit the bumper. As the other party is wishing to pay directly I would consider this part of there expense
If it hit absolutely square on then the the impact will have been spread by the crash beam at the back of the bumper and may well have done no damage as the load was evenly received and distributed It causes lots of knock on damage when the load is over a small area eg a corner impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorting it by cash does not mean you don't have to tell the insurance even if he is happy to not tell his, are you happy to not tell yours for the next 5 years. this is even if you don't claim.

If you did claim i have no doubt they will make it a total loss unless it was a very low speed impact and only something like the bumper needing painting. Also you would need to make sure you can buy it back, some policys don't allow it.

So you need to tell your insurance, but you can still sort it out by cash so it doesn't get written off.

Unfortunately you must tell your insurer even though it's not your fault. And even it you get all your money back you may get your premium increased next year.

Thanks for the info all, will start with trying to have a look myself.
Will just try and work out how to remove black trim behind chrome trim to take a cursory peek.
Thanks again
Steve

As per above advice Steve, a very fine screwdriver or better still trim removal tool inserted at one end to lift the tab clear will cause the edge to lift. It is then a case of carefully prising each locating lug upwards from the bumper.

I have found a picture borrowed from the bay to help you. You can see the tabs on each end and the lugs which locate into the bumper (some are missing on this one). This should help you as you now know what you are trying to remove.

Cheers,

Darren

s-l1600.jpg

Will just try and work out how to remove black trim behind chrome trim to take a cursory peek.
Thanks again
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Darren, thats brilliant...about to brave the frost to have a look...carefully :)

Cheers
Steve

don't mess with the plastics in the cold! they become brittle easily - go find a heated multi-storey and leave it there for a couple of hours first would be my advice...

- Bret

Just had a good look and all of the plastic mounts for the rear bumper are cracked and snapped and the rear metal bumper mount is bent inwards.

Would anyone have any ideas how much those parts would be on their own? Bumper and Mount bar?

Sorry for the hassle.
Steve

Thanks again
Steve

The black plastic trim (the stippled finish piece) is pretty malleable and won't break even in this morning's temperatures. The key to its removal is to start in the middle and with your thumb, push down and backwards towards the rubber seal of the boot. This will lift the edge where it meets the chrome and you'll then see the tabs. With a fine flat blade screwdriver, push these tabs toward the rubber to release them from their slots. There's around 7 or so of them and the more you release, the easier it is to get to the remaining ones.

Hope this helps.

M.

Just had a good look and all of the plastic mounts for the rear bumper are cracked and snapped and the rear metal bumper mount is bent inwards.

Would anyone have any ideas how much those parts would be on their own? Bumper and Mount bar?

Sorry for the hassle.
Steve

I've got a rear bumper bar here that i can do for £15. Not 100% sure if i've got a rear bumper there at the moment, I threw one away last week because it was an odd colour and had been hanging around for about 18 months (sods law).

Last edited:
I've got a rear bumper bar here that i can do for £15. Not 100% sure if i've got a rear bumper there at the moment, I threw one away last week because it was an odd colour and had been hanging around for about 18 months (sods law).

Thanks Steve, will be in touch.
I have got the plastic trim off (no breakages :) ) and have taken a video so if the guys wants to see he can...then he can decide what to do.

Thanks again all.

I may update later :(

Steve

Sorry for the hassle.
Steve

It is usual for the ends of the metal bumper bar to be slightly bent inwards. I threw mine away last year after I installed a tow bar. Again, law of sod applies. It's a heavy old ****** too - 2 man job to install/remove.

It is usual for the ends of the metal bumper bar to be slightly bent inwards. I threw mine away last year after I installed a tow bar. Again, law of sod applies. It's a heavy old ****** too - 2 man job to install/remove.

Thanks good to know.
The metal reinforce/mounting bar is definitly bent in the middle, which i guess pushed the bumper out at the sides a bit as the join on the rear panels are slighty out...only a close inspection would notice anythig amiss

Steve

Might only be bent out of shape at the ends a little bit, but to straighten the metal bar, you'll need a couple of tons force and some heavy duty machinery. It's not something you'll be able to tap out with a ball pein hammer!!

Might only be bent out of shape at the ends a little bit, but to straighten the metal bar, you'll need a couple of tons force and some heavy duty machinery. It's not something you'll be able to tap out with a ball pein hammer!!

Yeah thought as much. He still wants to go through the no insurance route even though it could get expensive.
Dont mind as long as car gets fixed and we not out of pocket etc

Not sure how we go about it though...i dont want to pay for the work myself then have to ask him for money....rather he sorted all himself.

Ah well we will see :)

Yeah thought as much. He still wants to go through the no insurance route even though it could get expensive.
Dont mind as long as car gets fixed and we not out of pocket etc

Not sure how we go about it though...i dont want to pay for the work myself then have to ask him for money....rather he sorted all himself.

Ah well we will see :)

sounding like other car might not have insurance , ask for insurance details anyway as you will required to notify them no matter what , get a few quotes from garages for the fix at least you know what money is involved ,

Back