Re Bore or Short Motor ?

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
Our A2 has had the 1.4 Petrol Engine Piston Slap since about 60,000 Miles. Now done 110,000 Miles. Suspect it is getting worse now. How long can it go on ? Who would be best for an Engine Rebuild ? Re Bore, or Short Motor ? Can you even buy a New Short Motor any more ?

Piston slap can last for ages before it becomes a real problem, I have not heard of it happening on an A2, has it been properly diagnosed?

I am not sure that anyone would have a reconditioned short motor on the shelf, they would normally rebore your block and fit new pistons/ rings.

Steve B

I didn’t do anything yet. Just keep driving it and letting it rattle. No need to do anything until a Piston finally lets go !

it is actually not that uncommon in early engines and there are many with it undiagnosed. High oil consumption is about the only way it's generally seen - there's a youtube video from Manu around which shows the knock on a 1.4 and it's significant. You can see the movement of the piston front-to-back. But the previous owner of that car didn't see any issues with it, didn't have any problems.

Personally, I'd either be looking for a young short block or a recon. The piston rings are the main fault here, with their channels not freeing up correctly and over time becoming clogged. I'm reasonably sure I have a similar problem and I know I'm not alone.

I think the majority of fixes have been a new block, but I'd have to check.

- Bret

Back