News A2 Running Great

Hi Everyone, Just an update, I bought an A2 1.6 FSI Colour Storm 2 months ago and after initially being a little disappointed with performance and front end tyre grip my car is driving so much better now after some basic tips from the forum.

Initially my car seemed very slow and sluggish however after adding fuel injection cleaner and changing to super unleaded this has made a big difference, however biggest difference was after resetting ecu by disconnecting battery overnight, engine was so much more eager to rev and starting when warm has also improved(why would that be)

My car was also very noisy going over bumps and I returned to supplying garage who changed anti roll bar bushes/brackets in an hour or so free of charge and all front end noise was eliminated and handling in dry is great however...

I am not 100% sure about front tyres. 205/40/17 as my brand is unknown and they tend to tramline a bit and are not so good in the wet, initially pressure was set for fully loaded car at 35psi, I have now reduced to 30psi on front and it seems better although I am thinking of removing the 17" alloys and replacing with 16" with 185/50/16 's although I don't really want too, I am planning to get wheel alignment checked and adjusted first.

Interior is spacious enough although I miss an armrest and heated leather seats my last car had, and I am planning to change steering wheel to a 3 spoke, I thought about changing the double din 6 disc changer for an newer sat nav system but quite like to standard system.

A2 is really running perfect, easy to park, easy to get in and out, loads of space in garage and you don't see too many when your out and about, also good for going round multi-story car parks. Although finding end spaces to park takes longer, I am paranoid about getting a parking ding on my bodywork.

any tips for the winter? I have changed all front bulbs to brighter ones, front fog lights are especially good, when required of course.[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/andrewxsi/media/DSC_0049_zpsmobpof1a.jpg.html][/URL]

Now thats a nice looking Storm....................you would never think that that car is .....what?.......................13 years old.

Thank you for the nice comment, Most of us just like to keep our cars as clean as we can although sometimes difficult in the winter. Black wheel arches, service flap and roof are supposed to be matt black although I use Autoglym bumper and trim gel for the gloss look. Its a pleasure to drive every day. here are another few photos.

Looks a beauty mate, welcome to the Storm club!
On the heated seat front you could always add them (if you can find some) that is, very pleased with mine and as you know they are great in the winter, heating loom and control panel would have to be wired in too but there’s a few clever people on here to provide those services!
Cheers Jeff

That's a lovely looking A2 that's clearly fallen into good hands. Just make sure that smelly tree is never allowed to touch the interior plastics as it'll dissolve the soft-touch coating.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Guys, the air freshener is now removed, as for the heated seats, I would like them, however cloth seats are not too cold in the winter anyway and I only have a 10 min commute to work, the engine seems to get up to temperature quickly too.

Thats a great looking car you have there, very nice and has already been said, you would never think it as old as it is. To me they're a stunning looking car and testament to the way Audi designers used to style their cars for the Euro market. We have the 17 sport alloys on our car bought just over a year ago now which had old worn out tyres on it which didn't feel good. If your after some excellent rubber i can recommend Goodyear Assymetric 2s, a superb tyre in wet or dry with good mpg figures to boot and has a superb rim protector too. Is this the car from the Amersham dealer?

Pic if it helps.

fullsizeoutput_1057.jpg

I live in Fife Scotland and after searching almost daily for a nice A2, any model, this one came up for sale in a dealer about 2 miles from my house, funny thing is previous owner address is only 1/2 mile from my house, I never spotted theA2 out on the road anywhere and can only presume it was an older driver or second car. I like your 17" alloys and tyres above, your alloys are way better than mine, I need a refurb done on them and some quality tyres, I used to have Rainsport 3,s on my A4 Avant and will change for some better quality tyres soon. Thanks for the advice and recommendation

Your very welcome. Just looked again more closely at your pics and can see no wear at all on the soft touch buttons.It's strange how a car can live so close yet you never see it, yours certainly looks like a pampered car and a very good find! I've been up to your part of the world on a Scottish tour in the S6 which also had brand new Assymerics on with some guys from 2 other forums and had the most fabulous long weekend possible travelling about a 1000 miles up there going right to the very top and back down the west coast. This was sept 2015 and not once did the tyres give anything other than complete confidence they were so surefooted even in the pouring rain traveling across small B roads at times at speed in the most remotest of places. Also liking the pics of your A4.

P1040497_zpsbsg2skhd.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, Just an update, I bought an A2 1.6 FSI Colour Storm 2 months ago and after initially being a little disappointed with performance and front end tyre grip my car is driving so much better now after some basic tips from the forum.

Initially my car seemed very slow and sluggish however after adding fuel injection cleaner and changing to super unleaded this has made a big difference, however biggest difference was after resetting ecu by disconnecting battery overnight, engine was so much more eager to rev and starting when warm has also improved(why would that be)

My car was also very noisy going over bumps and I returned to supplying garage who changed anti roll bar bushes/brackets in an hour or so free of charge and all front end noise was eliminated and handling in dry is great however...

I am not 100% sure about front tyres. 205/40/17 as my brand is unknown and they tend to tramline a bit and are not so good in the wet, initially pressure was set for fully loaded car at 35psi, I have now reduced to 30psi on front and it seems better although I am thinking of removing the 17" alloys and replacing with 16" with 185/50/16 's although I don't really want too, I am planning to get wheel alignment checked and adjusted first.

Interior is spacious enough although I miss an armrest and heated leather seats my last car had, and I am planning to change steering wheel to a 3 spoke, I thought about changing the double din 6 disc changer for an newer sat nav system but quite like to standard system.

A2 is really running perfect, easy to park, easy to get in and out, loads of space in garage and you don't see too many when your out and about, also good for going round multi-story car parks. Although finding end spaces to park takes longer, I am paranoid about getting a parking ding on my bodywork.

any tips for the winter? I have changed all front bulbs to brighter ones, front fog lights are especially good, when required of course.[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/andrewxsi/media/DSC_0049_zpsmobpof1a.jpg.html][/URL]

That is the second best colour storm i have seen. :)

Thats a cracking A2 you have also.I really like the service flap and bodykit. I was hoping to keep mine standard. You have made me think of some smodifications.thank you i think lol

Having looked at tyre options I have decided on Uniroyal Rainsport 3's , as I had them fitted to my A4 thought they were excellent, Hope to have them fitted today Saturday 25th Nov, or next Friday, working away from home in Newport during the week, again...I will let you know how they feel once I have them.

As you know I had very poor handling on my A2 especially in the wet and over poor road surfaces, I suspected it was due to the tyre's on the front and after initially going for a set on Uniroyal Rainsport 3's I ended up buying 205/40R17 84W HANKOOK K120 VENTUS V12 EVO2 XL and after leaving the garage I noticed a big improvement, and after nearly a week I can say that my A2 has been transformed from being twitchy and unsettled to being really much more composed and quiet, the handling is brilliant like the rest of the car, what a difference it has made, I have so much more confidence in the wet and its the first car I have had with Hankook tyres and I suspect it wont be the last. Now I am focusing on getting my alloys refurbished or a set of these, https://cdn4.wheelbasealloys.com/product-images/productlarge_6945_170.jpg

As you know I had very poor handling on my A2 especially in the wet and over poor road surfaces, I suspected it was due to the tyre's on the front and after initially going for a set on Uniroyal Rainsport 3's I ended up buying 205/40R17 84W HANKOOK K120 VENTUS V12 EVO2 XL and after leaving the garage I noticed a big improvement, and after nearly a week I can say that my A2 has been transformed from being twitchy and unsettled to being really much more composed and quiet, the handling is brilliant like the rest of the car, what a difference it has made, I have so much more confidence in the wet and its the first car I have had with Hankook tyres and I suspect it wont be the last. Now I am focusing on getting my alloys refurbished or a set of these, https://cdn4.wheelbasealloys.com/product-images/productlarge_6945_170.jpg

That sounds like the tracking was causing much of that poor handling.

Did you have the tracking sorted at the same time as the tyres were fitted..

Badly aligned tracking gives exactly those symptoms and you old tyres were probably making it worse.

For some reason A2s always seem to need regular tracking checks, I have had lots of A2s with very uneven tyre wear and poor handling (especially in the wet)
I always recommend tracking when you change tyres if not before then.

It also helps to improve MPG noticieably.

Steve B

Thanks Steve for the information on tracking, I was not checked after tyre fitting, I will get this done over the Christmas break as fuel consumption is really poor on the 1.6 FSI, and correct alignment might help a bit. MPG is only 30-35 all the time, and I don't drive that fast, normal commute is 26 miles total on mostly dual carriageway at 65 mph.

Hi Fellow FSI Owner,

With the the commute you describe I would expect mine to do nearer to 45mpg. How many miles has the car done? I am wondering if the input manifold has carbon problems, a weakness of the FSI, lots to read on here about this issue, typically develops by 100,000 miles - unfortunately not a small job to fix. Have you had a VCDS scan to check for faults?

Besides the injector cleaner additive you are using, I would recommend having the injectors removed and professionally cleaned but I do not know if this is a small job in isolation. I assume you have picked up on the FSI needs a high grade petrol, eg Tesco Momentum often championed.

Andy

Back