Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a new A2

Need a new A2

Hi all

Alas my A2 has been written off. So will be in the market for a new one as soon as all the insurance and legals are sorted. That said 'the one' could come along anytime, so I'm looking now:

Absolute must have: 3x3point seatbelt rear bench seat (see my post on my accident and you'll understand why)
    Makes it a 2003 reg or later I believe

Wish list:
    1.4 petrol or tdi (think I'll avoid the FSI unless you can persuade me)
    Around 100k miles and low owners - unless someone on here is selling their cherished motor (my old car had had 7 owners but hadn't bothered it and had the love and attention of A2cars for the last 4 years)
    SE spec, though am warming to colour storm!
    Non vortex
    Red leather (holy grail), or dark interior (I have young kids)
    Silver ideally, but would take any if rest of spec hit the mark
    Double DIN
    DIS
    Cruise
    Not too fussed about open sky

Price? Well how do you price a dream? I know how much effort members in the club put into their cars, but equally know how important it is that when it comes time to sell on that these cars go to others that will continue to cherish them.
    I'm not looking for perfection. I'll happily pay what it costs for a good car.

Thanks in advance

Dave...
    Last edited by budword; 19-11-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budword View Post
    Hi all

Alas my A2 has been written off. So will be in the market for a new one as soon as all the insurance and legals are sorted. That said 'the one' could come along anytime, so I'm looking now:

Absolute must have: 3x3point seatbelt rear bench seat (see my post on my accident and you'll understand why)
    Makes it a 2003 reg or later I believe

Wish list:
    Around 100k miles and low owners - unless someone on here is selling their cherished motor (my old car had had 7 owners but hadn't bothered it and had the love and attention of A2cars for the last 4 years)
    Non vortex
    Rear leather (holy grail), or dark interior (I have young kids)
    Double DIN
    DIS
    Cruise

Price? Well how do you price a dream? I know how much effort members in the club put into their cars, but equally know how important it is that when it comes time to sell on that these cars go to others that will continue to cherish them.
    I'm not looking for perfection. I'll happily pay what it costs for a good car.

Thanks in advance

Dave...
    Hi Dave,

if I spot anything that comes close I will let you know ASAP.

Steve B
    2003 FSI Sport in Violet Silver (LY4W), 85k miles, ex-Motorshow car 2002. Well specced, RNS-D, OSS (working) Red leather sport heated seats with 3 seat bench. Being restored to original spec

VCDS and Key programming service Including the new shaped key fobs, Votex Jacking point covers (3d copies) available.

3. Users that liked this post:

budword (19-11-2017)

Hi Dave,

Makes it a 2003 reg or later I believe.
    In order to broaden your search, any A2 with a rear bench seat would suffice if you're happy to change the seats. For instance, I know there's a member on here who has a set of 2004 Sport seats going spare and the matching rear bench is of the later design with 3x3 seatbelts. Given the number of A2s that are being dismantled these days, it ought not to be too difficult to find what you're after... possibly even covered in red leather! (Did you previous A2 have red leather?)

Wish list:
    Non vortex
    Red leather (holy grail), or dark interior (I have young kids)
    Double DIN
    DIS
    Cruise
    Luckily more A2s were made in silver than any other colour, so statistics are on your side here. Unfortunately, very few SE spec cars or Colour Storms had DIS fitted at factory. Similarly, the double-DIN dash isn't commonplace. Both can be retrofitted, of course, but retrofitting is invariably more expensive than buying a car that already has the options you'd like. Luckily, cruise control isn't especially expensive, so can be added with ease. It's a rare factory option on A2s, but many A2s have aleady had it added.

Best of luck with your hunt,

Tom
    A2 Retrofitting & Upgrade Service Offered: Cruise Control, DIS, Bose, Rear Electric Windows, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Bluetooth, Rear Speakers, Double-DIN Dash, RNS-E, Front Fog Lights, Lumbar Support, Komfortblinker, Convenience Unit Replacement, Key Programming, and much more...

Click here to reserve Colour DIS

All-alloy intercoolers are complete!

5. 2 users that liked this post:

simufly (19-11-2017), Special edition (20-11-2017)

Thanks Tom. Appreciate all of what I'm looking for can be added. Had done some to my last car. Would be nice not to have to start again!
    RE: DIS, I'm presuming a non DIS can be upgrade to it or your new solution. So good to have wider options.
    Your point about the rear bench is really interesting. So any car that originally has a bench seat can be upgraded to 3x3 point seatbelts, right? I know all about the fact that 2 seats can't go to bench. I presume then that the 3x3 point belts are integral to the actual seat and don't require any additional anchor points in the car?
    Would be a faff to change seats though, but at least gives option to widen search to older cars too.
    Previous car didn't have leather, but my boy and I sat in A2Steve's first project. Has Been On The Wish List Ever Since, especially if we get a silver car again.
    Great info, thanks
    Last edited by budword; 19-11-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks Tom. Appreciate all of what I'm looking for can be added. Had done some to my last car. Would be nice not to have to start again!
    RE: DIS, I'm presuming a non DIS can be upgrade to it or your new solution. So good to have wider options.
    Your point about the rear bench is really interesting. So any car that originally has a bench seat can be upgraded to 3x3 point seatbelts, right? I know all about the fact that 2 seats can't go to bench. I presume then that the 3x3 point belts are integral to the actual seat and don't require any additional anchor points in the car?
    Would be a faff to change seats though, but at least gives option to widen search to older cars too.
    Previous car didn't have leather, but my boy and I sat in A2Steve's first project. Has Been On The Wish List Ever Since, especially if we get a silver car again.
    Great info, thanks
    Changing rear bench is a two minute job to be honest (albeit with two people), front seats take approx. 10 times longer (ie 20 minutes). I've got a Platinum set with Lumber Support for sale from a later FSI, so it's got the integral proper belt. PM me if you're interested as it could then further widen your options.
    A2s
    1.4tdi Ebony Black w/Red Legends Leather, 202k miles, BOSE, RNS-E, ColourDIS (Baby Boomer)
    1.4tdi Mauritius Blue, OSS, BOSE, Black Sports Leather (Project X)
    1.6 FSI SE Ebony Black, BrokenSky (Dad's)

Scirocco Storm - Mk2 1.9 BRMotorSport, many upgrades, 23 yrs
    A6 Allroad - 3.0tdi - Leather, BOSE

Gone, but not forgotten:
    A2s: 2x1.6FSI, 2x1.4 (Po/ProjectY)
    A5 3.0tdi Coupe, 13xSciroccos, 3xCorrados inc mythical Campaign, 4xMk1 Golfs (3xN & 1xGLi Cabrio)

Hi Dave,

This one is pushing towards a higher price than you might like, but is the correct colour and year for you and offers lots of scope to improve and personalise whilst looking a good base car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...had=New&page=2

Cheers,

Darren
    Last edited by Darren C; 19-11-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    Now:
    1.6 FSI SE [2004] - Cobalt Blue

Open-sky system, climate control, heated platinum leather sports seats, unique professionally tailored sports steering wheel, all-round electric windows, cruise control, full DIS, komfortblinker, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, /S-line gear lever, TT pedals, front stowage tray, rear cup holder centre console, heated mirrors, HIDs, LEDs, OEM mud-flaps, collapsible spare wheel & retro-fitted mounting bracket, ScanGauge, 17" BBS multi-spoke alloy wheels (Summer), refurbished OEM SE 16" 6 spoke alloy wheels (Winter).

Was:
    1.4 TDI [75] 'Special Edition' [2005] - Akoya Silver

1.4 Petrol 'Special Edition' [2004] - Silver
    [Mrs C's]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES-JVFNwFV4

9. Users that liked this post:

Special edition (19-11-2017)

Great info, thanks
    Hi Dave,

Yes, I can understand that it's demoralising having to start from scratch. Of course, the closer you can get to your ideal A2 from the moment of purhase, the better.

In terms of DIS, there are indeed now two options. You can either have the standard DIS or have Colour DIS. I could go into all the details of both, but that bridge can be crossed once you've got your new A2. There's loads of info on the forum about both options. Did you have DIS in your previous A2? Was it factory fitted or retrofitted?

Yes, what you've understood about the rear seats is correct. The 3x3 system is entirely built into the seat itself, so it's exceptionally easy to upgrade to the 3x3 system if the A2 that you buy has a lap-belt in the centre. Given that only about 10% of A2s have a rear bench, I'd not limit yourself needlessly.

Kind regards,

Tom
    A2 Retrofitting & Upgrade Service Offered: Cruise Control, DIS, Bose, Rear Electric Windows, Multifunction Steering Wheel, Heated Seats, Auto-Dimming Mirror, Bluetooth, Rear Speakers, Double-DIN Dash, RNS-E, Front Fog Lights, Lumbar Support, Komfortblinker, Convenience Unit Replacement, Key Programming, and much more...

Click here to reserve Colour DIS

All-alloy intercoolers are complete!

11. Users that liked this post:

budword (19-11-2017)

Think the colour DIS looks awesome, was contemplating it in my last car, DIS was factory fit, but the yellow section was on the way out. So something I'll want to talk to you about once I've found my replacement unless I find on with mint OEM DIS. Mods are a fine line to tread, as I'm essentially an OEM kinda a guy, but admit where tech is moving on, then there is justification to include it. Colour DIS, DRLs, autolights, cruise and tune all improve living with and A2 but don't overtly impact the original aesthetics, so all good with me.
    Full on electric conversion I've seen in a different thread, hmmm. That's a biggy, but again can't help believing that the A2 would have been an EV if it the tech was viable and wanted back then, so add it to my list in time!

Thanks Darren. I saw it too. Nice clean car. On my list, suspect it'll be gone before I sort the cash. Will hopefully hear from insurance this week.

14. Users that liked this post:

Darren C (20-11-2017)

Thanks, appreciate the offer. Can't ask you to hold them for me, but will let you know if I need them ASAP. Any chance of a pic?