Rear view mirror... anyone tried fitting anything else? Auto-dimming?

Audi A2 3L

My A2 has a rear view mirror that needs replacing.

Whatever has happened to it... I've no idea but it's very loose and needs fixing.

I broke an RS6 a few months ago and I can already see the steering wheel making an appearance on the A2 :cool:

I also still have the auto-dimming rear view mirror from the same car and I'm quite tempted to see what's possible.

RS6%20rear%20view%20mirror_zpstguo1fzt.jpg

Has anyone else done similar thing on their A2?

MG

Yes its fairly common upgrade if not factory fitted.
Tom did mine and it works really well!
Simon

The factory fitted auto-dim rear mirror in the A2 is actually an A4 part, so I'd suggest your A6 one will probably be an easy install. You can take all the wiring from the interior light panel, apart from the feed from the reverse switch, if you want to wire it up properly (you can omit this feed if you like).

The factory fitted auto-dim rear mirror in the A2 is actually an A4 part, so I'd suggest your A6 one will probably be an easy install. You can take all the wiring from the interior light panel, apart from the feed from the reverse switch, if you want to wire it up properly (you can omit this feed if you like).
Hi Skipton, I notice with great enthusiasm that you say the A4 and A6 auto dimming mirror will fit our toys...do you happen to have a part number so I can try a few breakers to find one, as two years in I am still looking for the ever elusive mirror....
Many thanks

4f mirrors won't fit, the part on the screen is the wrong size.

- Bret

I am working this out at the moment but flu as got in the way
I bought a self dimming rear view mirror from a mk5 golf for £9 delivered
I have machined the large ball that the mirror pivots on to fit into the A2’s screen mount and allow the cables to pass through the ball
The mirror is in the car and adjust perfectly
I have also worked out the wiring in its basic form you need ignition live and earth
Spike / Skipton01 - where do you get ignition live from up in the mirror area ? I have looked and looked but everything appears to be permanent live including the oss
My last job is to run a ign live from the radio along with a reversing live which is at the back of the radio already due to reversing camera
Cheers for any help on the wiring side of life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am working this out at the moment but flu as got in the way
I bought a self dimming rear view mirror from a mk5 golf for £9 delivered
I have machined the large ball that the mirror pivots on to fit into the A2’s screen mount and allow the cables to pass through the ball
The mirror is in the car and adjust perfectly
I have also worked out the wiring in its basic form you need ignition live and earth
Spike / Skipton01 - where do you get ignition live from up in the mirror area ? I have looked and looked but everything appears to be permanent live including the oss
My last job is to run a ign live from the radio along with a reversing live which is at the back of the radio already due to reversing camera
Cheers for any help on the wiring side of life

The live for the OSS only stays live for 5 mins after the ignition is turned off, maybe worth trying that?

That is most interesting, I had connected it to the OSS power when I first installed it, but then removed it from there as it was not appearing to power down and I did not want the mirror power drain on the battery 24/7
I will investigate further when I'm feeling up to it

Thanks Again Kleynie

Sorry to hear you were poorly Paul. My dash cam is around the mirror and it was super easy to tuck a wire up along the door trim on the A pillar and along the roof lining with power from the dash Centre console if the OSS doesn’t work out. Tuck tuck and it stayed in place.

Hi Pinky - thanks for the warm wishes
I have mounted a DAB aerial pickup in a 3D printed triangle that goes from the roof lining to the mirror holder stub, so have cables to route from the roof lining anyway

Back