Budget 2017

Skipton01

Admin Team
With Mr Hammond's budget being delivered in the UK later today, what are your predictions as to matters that will affect our driving habits? Quite apart from the T-Charge nonsense, I think it's pretty certain there'll be some sort of punitive measures against diesel drivers, whether it be an increase in fuel duty or an increase in road tax (sorry, road fund license).

The UK government have announced that they'll be outlawing the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles in 22 years, but will they effectively drive our A2s off the road well before that date?

I think there’s bound to be a duty increase on fossil fuels, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if your predictions about an increase in road tax (old habits die hard) are correct.

will be watching with interest. Loved my Tdi, but think writing is on the wall, and will probably go petrol for the replacement, especially if Road tax gets hammered.

Personally, I'd rather see an increase in road tax than an increase in fuel duty. I'd much rather pay slightly more up front on an annual basis and then continue to be able to move myself around cheaply.

Here's hoping that any increase in road tax is applied more heavily on thirstier vehicles. I know our A2s don't have modern 'clean' tech such as DPFs and Adblue, but simply burning little fuel results in lower emissions.

Cheers,

Tom

So, it looks like no A2 owner will be affected by the budget. Good news then, although it does somewhat put you off from buying a new car now - I'm sure the motor manufacturers are livid.

Im very surprised that we are not affected but logic and government don't go hand in hand---they have been selling diesels to us as the preferred "green" option for years resulting in refineries having to invest large quantities of cash to modify the refineries to up production of diesel over petrol. The general public and companies paying a premium for diesel cars. Now diesel is the devil so all the people that have economic diesel modern cars face them dropping in value and dealers not interested in taking them in unless heavy losses in the pocket are your sort of thing.
But i guess thats what makes our cars even better-economical-low taxation-no rusty body to fail and unless you have expensive tastes in modifications cheep to run. I now work much closer to home so instead of filling up once every week (petrol ill add in the fsi) i now use one tank every three weeks of diesel. This week being different as i used the daily driver A2 to attend the social so that hit me for 300 miles.
Long live the a2 i just hope audi don't let us down and one day give us a new electric one or i can see an i3 in the future.

A lot of the on-line press are making out the tax increases on older cars as well, that's not what Hammond said in his speech but think we need to see the detail in print before we know for certain.

Long live the a2 i just hope audi don't let us down and one day give us a new electric one or i can see an i3 in the future.

Don't do it Mike - the i3 isn't anything more than a novelty. When you first come to replace those 19" tyres, you'll curse BMW.

Quote from the BBC:

[h=2]Analysis: Richard Westcott, BBC transport correspondent[/h]The key thing... if you've already got a diesel car, you won't pay more.
That's hardly a surprise, bearing in mind people were encouraged to buy diesels some years ago. The government wasn't about to slap a big tax on drivers who parted with lots of money in good faith.
From April though, if you are buying a new diesel, you will probably pay more road tax in the first year. It depends on the emissions test that it had to pass, so I'd ask the dealer before you buy.
The new tax rise will apply until around 2021, by which time all new cars have to meet the tighter pollution rules. And this only applies to cars, not vans, trucks, etc.
So, it's more of a soft, brushing nudge rather than a big push to persuade people away from polluting diesels.
Of course, there is a danger that it convinces drivers to keep their old, dirtier diesels, rather than buy a new, cleaner one.

Hi Tom
I reckon,by definition, diesel prices will rise anyway through the simple fact that people will switch back to petrol or hybrid ..

Hi Tom
I reckon,by definition, diesel prices will rise anyway through the simple fact that people will switch back to petrol or hybrid ..

But if this is the case, diesel prices should fall. I always remember that diesel was around 10p cheaper than petrol when there were almost no diesel cars around and then it crept up to parity as more and more cars adopted the fuel, eventually becoming more expensive.

So if demand falls, then won't prices drop off again?

Reactions: oko
But if this is the case, diesel prices should fall. I always remember that diesel was around 10p cheaper than petrol when there were almost no diesel cars around and then it crept up to parity as more and more cars adopted the fuel, eventually becoming more expensive.

I'd agree with Mike Skipton

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Get those (other) diesels off the road.
. .and make the diesel mot harder. Has any A2 failed the smoke test ?

Oko, not sure of the meaning of your reply??

I'm not aware of any A2 that's failed an MOT for smoke reasons, but I could be wrong.

Lets get this straight, Diesel did not creep up in price.

Gordon Brown and the Labour government increased duty by 10p overnight and crippled the haulage industry and penalized diesel car drivers after persuading everyone to buy diesels.

Oko, not sure of the meaning of your reply??

I'm not aware of any A2 that's failed an MOT for smoke reasons, but I could be wrong.

I had an A2 fail due to the smoke test, BUT it was a car that had been left standing for over a year after being driven short distances at low speeds (elderly owner).

I put some diesel fuel conditioner in it, filled with super diesel, took it for an "Italian Tune-up" and it flew through the retest.

So it is VERY rare for a normal TDI to get even close to failing the smoke test.

Steve B

Tax is part of the increase, but increased demand has made diesel relatively more expensive as Skipton says because of how fuels are refined from crude.
I hope that the mot is made harder for diesel emmisions as I hate following smokers and these have given all diesels a bad name. If only they can test with lower revs and higher load. .

Lets get this straight, Diesel did not creep up in price.

Gordon Brown and the Labour government increased duty by 10p overnight and crippled the haulage industry and penalized diesel car drivers after persuading everyone to buy diesels.

Well, at least you can't be accused of fence sitting!!

However, you may be interested to read this

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN04712.pdf

It's non party-political and serves to demonstrate that there's been no such hike and that prices are pretty much in accordance with demand - more diesel demanded = higher pump price.

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 22.42.37.png

That graph, extracted from the document, shows that petrol was always slightly cheaper than diesel until around 1999/2000. And research on the fuel duty escalator shows it's remained fairly constant for the last couple of decades.

Reactions: chb
Fairly sensible budget (though the stamp duty thing was a clear headline grabber rather than sensible policy).
Unlike Timmus, personally I would rather see VED set very low and more of the cost loaded onto fuel. I do 25k miles a year, but I believe that pay as you pollute is better than pay to own.
I am happy that from next year I will be able to charge up my novelty i3 at work without incurring BIK. :)

Back