ColourDIS Users' Thread

sciroccorrado

A2OC Donor
Folks, I thought I'd set up a thread for ColourDIS so we can discuss frequently asked questions, and try to get some sort of user instructions/manual in place. Ask about features etc. etc.

Features:
  • Clearer Display
  • Ability to read/clear fault codes directly from drivers' seat
  • Automatically dips passenger side mirror to aid reversing*
  • Displays Instant and Average Fuel Consumption, both for trip and long-term~
  • Displays Distance Travelled, both for trip and long-term~
  • Displays Driving time, both for trip and long-term~
  • Displays Average Speed, both for trip and long-term~
  • Displays speed at which Cruise Control is set#
  • Lots more ... Adding all the time

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Again to be filled in

*Requires mirror adjustment switch to be in Passenger side position
~Trip information resets after approximately two hours of engine off, long-term resets only after battery disconnect or manually reset.
#Only when Cruise Control engaged

Last edited:
I'll start off with:
The Average fuel consumption (and "miles until empty") is now "per trip" rather than same until reset. Some things I like to be per trip, some things I prefer to hold until reset. So question, is there a way to change this between the two settings (I understand there is Trip Computer 1 and Trip Computer 2), but not how to change this.

Secondly - Request (I've already spoken to Tom about this, but this is so we can get it out there) - Is there a way to expand the "Music Information" displayed on the DIS, as the default 10 characters is a bit pointless really, and that is one of the things I really want, as I distinctly dislike having to look down at the RNS-E every time I want to check what I'm listening to.

Yes, me too, I am used to resetting average fuel at fill up, not every time I do a short trip, but may get used to it.
2. I am not worried about what Im listening to, instead I have lots of temperatures up, but it does not show which is water/oil and which consumption is current / average. We need to remember how we set it up or check by going through them one at a time.
3. In measuring blocks would be nice to what all the figures are referring to. - I guess 8300 bar must be fuel pressure- how does it measure such a high pressure?

This is a great idea so we can all share our experiences and ideas..

The other day I had my drivers seat out to install the Comfort armrest and during that I had to turn the ignition on causing the airbag warning light to go on. But once the seat was back in it was so easy to just clear the fault code in the Color DIS menu, saving me both time and potentially money if I didn't have VCDS.

Personally I don't mind that I have to go into Trip computer 2 to read my average consumption, but the option to expand the top bar with music information I very much agree to, because it also limits read out on the bluetooth phone list or which radio station I am listening to. So that would be a great upgrade..

Alex.

... but the option to expand the top bar with music information I very much agree to, because it also limits read out on the bluetooth phone list or which radio station I am listening to. So that would be a great upgrade..

Alex.

Hi Alex, which BT module do you have in your car, I'm presuming you have RNS-E here...

Since a couple of weeks ago, when I switch on the ignition, I get the very loud beep or 'chime' from the dash board - the one that you get when fuel is low, or some other alarm is detected.

Nothing shows up on the Colour-DIS messages display though, and I would have expected an indication in the older DIS. I wonder what the dash is complaining about that the Colour-DIS does not seem to register?

VCDS for me this afternoon.

Al

Since a couple of weeks ago, when I switch on the ignition, I get the very loud beep or 'chime' from the dash board - the one that you get when fuel is low, or some other alarm is detected.

Nothing shows up on the Colour-DIS messages display though, and I would have expected an indication in the older DIS. I wonder what the dash is complaining about that the Colour-DIS does not seem to register?

VCDS for me this afternoon.

Al

Hmmm, interesting.

There's been another software release since I fitted your cluster that includes some extra 'sensor out' warnings. It could be that your oil level sensor has died, for instance. The cluster is making its beep, but Colour DIS doesn't know what's wrong without the latest software update.

Heading to Eskdale soon..? :)

Tom

Hmmm, interesting.

There's been another software release since I fitted your cluster that includes some extra 'sensor out' warnings. It could be that your oil level sensor has died, for instance. The cluster is making its beep, but Colour DIS doesn't know what's wrong without the latest software update.

Heading to Eskdale soon..? :)

Tom

Hi Tom

Eskdale for the Christmas week, but probably no A2 at this point.
Is it possible to update it here, if I can get the code?

I'll let you know if VCDS says anything of interest.

Al

Could it be washer fluid level??

A good suggestion, though not the case here. Alan's A2 doesn't have washer bottle level monitoring and, besides, the Colour DIS software has had that error definition for a good length of time.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

Eskdale for the Christmas week, but probably no A2 at this point.
Is it possible to update it here, if I can get the code?

I'll let you know if VCDS says anything of interest.

Al

I'm buried under a mixing desk in the snowy Pennines right now, but once I'm home (next few days) I'll send you the latest updates.

Don't forget that Colour DIS has in-built diagnostics. For circumstances like this, it ought to do as good a job as VCDS.

I presume the beep isn't accompanied by any other warning symbols such as ABS, EML, etc..?

Tom

Last edited:
I'm buried under a mixing desk in the snowy Pennines right now, but once I'm home (next few days) I'll send you the latest updates.

Don't forget that Colour DIS has in-built diagnostics. For circumstances like this, it ought to do as good a job as VCDS.

I presume the beep isn't accompanied by any other warning symbols such as ABS, EML, etc..?

Tom

Yes, I did a spin of the diagnostics and didn’t see anything unusual.

And no, no other symbols.

No rush, Tom. I’ve other A2 tasks to sort on the red car.

Al

P.s. can you remember what was the reference of that Bluetooth input you mentioned last time?

Thanks
Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, interesting.

There's been another software release since I fitted your cluster that includes some extra 'sensor out' warnings. It could be that your oil level sensor has died, for instance.

Hi All (and Tom)

the beep has gone. This evening I noticed a failed dipped headlamp bulb and swapped it. My money is on that the cluster knew that the bulb had gone, but my colour dis firmware didn’t handle that.

Al

Hi All (and Tom)

the beep has gone. This evening I noticed a failed dipped headlamp bulb and swapped it. My money is on that the cluster knew that the bulb had gone, but my colour dis firmware didn’t handle that.

Al

Well done Al, I've not noticed a "bulb out" light on CDIS.

ah well, failed bulb may be a red herring. The beep is back! And the bulbs are all ok.
so must review whether any other changes were made!

al

Today's discovery is that the 'beep' which didn't cause a 'message' on the color-dis looks like it was the oil level warning. Topped up with oil and beep is gone!

Now to try and understand the 'Oil Level' display that the Color-DIS presents!

Al

Glad to see you found out the beep, mine has behaved perfectly since I fitted it.

Today I updated it with version 21 and lost all of my settings, anyone else updated their DIS and had to set it all up again?

Back